BWI Friendship Center Access Ending 10/01

Old Sep 28, 01, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

BWI Friendship Center Access Ending 10/01

I went into the Friendship Center at BWI yesterday and was given a letter that P-Club members will no longer have access there after 10/01 due CO cutbacks.

The attendant said you will be allowed in for a $10 per visit fee.

Old Sep 28, 01, 1:59 pm

There must be some kind of "take the membership fee and run" business strategy out there. On American's website:

Admirals Club® and AAdvantage Platinum Service Center Closings

In response to the recent tragic events and the current state of the airline industry, regretfully we have closed six Admirals Clubs and five AAdvantage Platinum Service Centers indefinitely. The Admirals Club locations are Cleveland, Detroit, Honolulu, George Bush International Airport in Houston, Nashville, and Phoenix. Additionally, while we have closed the Miami Concourse D Club, we have opened a temporary Club on the B Concourse and continue to operate the Club on Concourse E. The AAdvantage Platinum Service Centers that have closed are located at Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Ft. Worth Terminals A and B, Miami and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Old Sep 28, 01, 6:24 pm

This is really awful news. There's no NW club at BWI---so that means we've got to get to the airport two or more hours early and then stare at each other in the concourse.

At least there are World Clubs at IAD--though I don't recall if they're convenient to the CO gates.

How wonderful to have a club membership and no hometown airport to use it in...until National is freed.
Old Sep 28, 01, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
Although Cigarman won't miss the Hawaiian ladies, I am very disappointed since I'm going out of BWI on Oct 2, and was one of those who actually liked the Friendship Lounge.
Note to joanek: The IAD World Club is just past the two fastfood places which are right next to the CO gates. They have even been known to allow us (PC members) to hang out for as much as an hour after the nominal closing time (as they cleaned the place up) when a CO flight is delayed.
Old Sep 29, 01, 3:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
The check-in staff at YYZ informed me that the self-serve Continental VIP lounge at Pearson International Airport in Toronto will be closing soon.

How many more lounge locations will be eliminated from participation in the President's Club program with little or no notice?
Old Sep 29, 01, 6:56 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Sigh. $10 might not be so bad to enter the BWI Friendship Club -- except that one must still pay for drinks (beer and above).
Old Sep 29, 01, 8:27 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
These reductions in availability make Priority Pass look better and better. Its 90% certain I will switch when my current Pres Club membership expires.

Search this Thread