CO should be ashamed...

Old Sep 23, 01, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

CO should be ashamed...

I'll set the situation up as this. This is the second cancellation I've had on the same ticket I'm flying next week.

First problem was, they cancelled the flight I was on and wanted to put me on the first flight out of FLL that day. I would be leaving my house at 4am. For leisure travel this is a BIG problem. After over an hour on the phone with the Elite line, the morons finally moved me to another flight leaving approximately the same time as the original ticket going from FLL to IAH to CLE to BDL. I'm flying from 9:15a to 7:11p. I'm not so pissed about the routing as I can put a spin of getting some additional miles on it, but why did it take me over an hour of talking to reps and supervisors to acomplish this.

Go on E-service today to verify everything is ok. Get the dreaded "no segments" message, which means call CO so you can find how they are going to screw you over today. I call and find out now they have cancelled one of my return flights which left at 11am out of BDL and put me on a 6pm flight out of BDL instead of the 2:30pm flight (which was available last week when they were screwing me over before) because it was sold out. This is a HUGE problem now as I'm basically transporting everyone across the state of CT in the morning back to the airport. We all had flights leaving about the same time. I'd leave for the airport at 6am and get back to FLL at MIDNIGHT. So they check their computers and can put me on an earlier flight (9:40), but now I have to leave the hotel across CT even earlier.

I settle down again and politely ask if they could upgrade me to 1st on the CLE to FLL flight (done the same thing for me before). She told me that she couldn't do this anymore because of "planes crashing into the world trade center." I asked how this had an impact on CO policies and customer service, so she tells me the "story" about everything going on (DO I LIVE UNDER A ROCK?). And says how its driving the airlines out of business and how I should feel sorry for poor Continental. Also she said that they can't upgrade my lowly T fare ticket to First (even though there is a good chance of an EUA), because its too cheap of a ticket. When I questioned her on this the dance continued!

NOW I'M FURIOUS. You don't use the tragedy of terrorism as an excuse to provide poor customer service. In all my dealings with CO I've never encountered anyone as condescending as this. It almost sounded if she was reading from prompts on a screen. If this stuff is CO's company line to all of their customers then they have bigger problems then the downturn in airtravel because they will not have any other customers left to serve!

If you can't accomadate my request fine, but don't try and make me feel sorry for poor CO. I don't and I won't. I will accept it because I have to, not because I feel sorry for CO.

They agreed to give me a refund (if I wanted), and I found I can fly Delta for a about 10 less with more direct routings. I'm half tempted to call Delta do it for the principal of the matter. Do you guys think its worth it to try and call the 800 we-dont care-line, or should I just get a refund or sit tight?

BTW: None of the other people attending this wedding are having any other their Delta or NW flights cancelled or changed...Makes you wonder doesn't it...
Old Sep 23, 01, 10:50 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
"DO I LIVE UNDER A ROCK?"......What's wrong with living under a rock?

What the heck, give Delta a try, couldn't be any worse, could it?

p.s. I think they laid off almost everybody over at 1-800-WE-COULD-CARE-LESS, maybe they could "enhance" it by changing it to a 1-900 number.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 09-23-2001).]
Old Sep 23, 01, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:

p.s. I think they laid off almost everybody over at 1-800-WE-COULD-CARE-LESS, maybe they could "enhance" it by changing it to a 1-900 number.
</font>
If they would talk dirty to me whilst giving me the bad news, I might not mind paying for the call...

Old Sep 23, 01, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:

</font>
If they would talk dirty to me whilst giving me the bad news, I might not mind paying for the call...

Old Sep 23, 01, 11:47 pm

Sounds like you've hit on an idea for additional revenue, and a way to stave off the layoffs...
Old Sep 24, 01, 4:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:

</font>
LMAO...
Old Sep 24, 01, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Yeah it wouldn't suprise me. I think CO is on a trip itself... from first to worst...

I can't believe they cancel flights without a phone call or even an automated email. This is the biggest load of BS I've ever seen in my life.

If I ran my business like that I would be out of business.
Old Sep 24, 01, 9:17 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KeithD:

They agreed to give me a refund (if I wanted), and I found I can fly Delta for a about 10 less with more direct routings. I'm half tempted to call Delta do it for the principal of the matter. Do you guys think its worth it to try and call the 800 we-dont care-line, or should I just get a refund or sit tight?

BTW: None of the other people attending this wedding are having any other their Delta or NW flights cancelled or changed...Makes you wonder doesn't it...[/B]</font>
If I were you I would get a refund and fly the convenient routing on Delta.
Old Sep 24, 01, 10:06 am

This is typical CO. BTW, I have received very good service from UA lately - and they did actually lose people and property to the terrorists. What is CO's excuse?

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Sep 24, 01, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
CO is not a logo or a monolith. It is thousands of terrified people. And right now the company they work for and believe in is a company in free fall, weeks away from bankruptcy. And the flight schedule's being slam-rewritten every day. And one in five of its employees are already out on the street. And nobody's flying. And Christmas is coming, and these people have families and kids, and things look pretty darn grim.

That may not be an excuse, but it's an explanation, and it suggests a little understanding is in order.

This is not a time to scream for upgrades or complain about not getting a second or third drink. If this company has ever come through for you -- and it has for me -- this is a time to grasp the hand of any employee you meet, tell them you're sorry, take your seat in coach and shut up.
Old Sep 24, 01, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
CO is not a logo or a monolith. It is thousands of terrified people. And right now the company they work for and believe in is a company in free fall, weeks away from bankruptcy. And the flight schedule's being slam-rewritten every day. And one in five of its employees are already out on the street. And nobody's flying. And Christmas is coming, and these people have families and kids, and things look pretty darn grim.

That may not be an excuse, but it's an explanation, and it suggests a little understanding is in order.

This is not a time to scream for upgrades or complain about not getting a second or third drink. If this company has ever come through for you -- and it has for me -- this is a time to grasp the hand of any employee you meet, tell them you're sorry, take your seat in coach and shut up.
</font>

You know, for the most part I happen to agree with you, and have said so in other threads. But it's also a time for the blowhards running the company to issue a public statement to the effect that they appreciate the passengers sticking with them, they're recinding the stupid policy changes that they know their frequent customers hate, and they're sorry they've come off as arrogant for so long. Jeez, I haven't been on AA metal for almost two years and I got an e-mail from their CEO, and I've already received two from the CEO of America West. When the heck is Gordo going to drop the arrogant bravado and reach out to his frequent customers and ask for their support.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 09-24-2001).]
Old Sep 24, 01, 10:38 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
i have mixed emotions about continental's current situation. gordon has done an excellent job recovering from the lorenzo days, but he has also pushed the envelope on fares and excessive additional fees. my travel planning today is a good example. from sat to sea, most fares have been around 200-nwa, america west and southwest. after several days of competing, co has no part of it and quotes a 450 fare for travel in early october. either they are already recovering in terms of load factors or they have been smitten by an arrogance they don't need. it hope it is the former reason.
Old Sep 25, 01, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Here is what happend.

Called the 1-800-We-Could-Care-Less number and it was a COMPLETE waste of an hour. This idiot wouldn't even consider changing my ticket to leave out of PBI or give a refund like the person on the Elite line was willing to do the previous night (an annotated my account as so).

Last ditch effort I call the Elite line again. FINALLY got a nice person. She switched everything. Have a new flight out of PBI instead of FLL (fine since I'm exactly between the two) leaving PBI later and getting into BDL earlier. The flight back also leaves a little later but gets in considerably later. I can deal with that as its only affecting me and not the people I have to take to the airport. So the problem was solved to my satisfaction albeight it shouldn't have taken me over 2 hours on the phone to do so.

My advice is to reconfirm your reservation as often as you can, to help give you a 'leg up' if there are cancellations. Also don't bother calling the 800-we-could-care-less number as its a waste of time.

I was wondering, if this is the way they are treating their Elites are they really screwing over the other passengers???

As a side note to what the last poster said. The flights I'm now booked on are (in order) 75%/100%/100%/95%/95% full (according to the Elite line). The ones 100% full are an ATR and a ERJ. It appears they just cancel their flights so they can consolidate their loads as high as possible, which I guess makes business-sense (although its a real PAIN IN THE ...). I think this is bad news for non-Platinum elites in terms of getting EUAs. I was so concerned about sitting in the back on those extremely full planes on my return I upgraded with miles (couldn't do it up there or I would have because it was a T fare). I know if I didnt upgrade I would have some 400lb person sitting in the middle seat next to me.

I guess times are a-changin'....

[This message has been edited by KeithD (edited 09-25-2001).]
Old Sep 25, 01, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
As the saying goes in CO land,

If you don't like what the agent said the first time, call, call, again....
Old Sep 25, 01, 3:20 pm

My trip from ORD to RSW via EWR was changed twice. Both times we were automatically rebooked but on a less than ideal routing.

Both times I called and suggested a better itinerary for us and had no problem rebooking. Less than a 5 minute phone call.

And the second rebooking involved going thru CLT instead of EWR.

I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it. I'm sure the reservationists are working overtime trying to accomadate everyone during this period of rapid changes.

Search this Thread