Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I'd like to take a weekend trip-- anywhere. Who's game?

Old Sep 16, 01, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know if this idea appeals to anyone, but I thought I'd "bounce it" nonetheless.

As anyone else who live down here knows, in the face of all the misery, there has been a really wonderful feeling of support among fellow Manhattanites (and, I'm sure all NYers and Americans in general.) It's an amazing thing to witness really.

But having lived my whole life within "eye-shot" of the great towers, the strain of looking at their absence (if that's possible,) is getting to be a bit much.

The firehouse down the block from me lost 7 members alone-- and it is a very small company. I knew many of those guys-- by face only, really-- and they truly were the bravest, nicest, friendliest guys you could ever imagine. The candles, letters and flowers set up outside the firehouse door are enough to make you double-over with grief just walking by.

The thought of them steaming down 7th Avenue, towards WTC Tuesday morning, at full speed, sirens blaring only to get buried in the rubble nearly brings tears to my eyes.

I just can't stand walking by that firehouse or my police precinct anymore-- I could use a break.

And, every time the phone rings or the e-mail beeps it seems to be a report of "hey, remember [name] who you met at [fill in place]?..." All aquaintances-- no family or close friends, but, boy it adds up.

All my fall travel plans to Europe are in limbo as none of my "normal" friends will fly right now.

SO, does anyone have any interest in a long-weekend jaunt to CDG, LON, Italy or anywhere else, really It will also be one of the last chances to do a pre-HoKeY BF upgrade trip as well-- not to mention once our military retaliation begins (and I personally can't wait)-- air travel may become even less appealing.

If any wants to squeeze in a trip, Let me know.

p.s. I have tickets to a very popular Broadway show for this Thursday, if you wanna' go to that, contact me via e-mail-- maybe we could send the ticket $$ to the FT-fund for the tragedy.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old Sep 17, 01, 5:59 am

Even though I would love to go with you I can't right now. I live in NJ, perhaps we could meet for a meal--at least you could get out of NY for a little while.
Old Sep 17, 01, 6:13 am

Ms. Fishbait here:
Jon, although we cannot do Europe, we are planning to get away too, in a couple weeks.. Gotta get these kids back on a plane as soon as possible before they get too afraid.. Looking for destinations as we speak. Remember Jon, we are as close as a train ride if you want to "come down the shore". If you want to come down and enjoy the best month on the beach, just let me know, there is still some peace to be found in that ocean.. Big longboard contest on the 29th, with all the "Endless Summer" legends.. Take care and Keep in touch..
Old Sep 17, 01, 7:30 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Hey Jon ... if you want to zip over to California I'll take you sailing in the bay. You can sleep on the boat too. It's not the Amalfi Coast, but you can pretend.
Old Sep 17, 01, 7:58 am

Jon:

You know I'm always up for a run. E-mail me and let me know what your considering.
Old Sep 17, 01, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Although I'd love to get out of the city myself, I think we'd get into too many "discussions" about the war you can't wait for.
Old Sep 17, 01, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hey Keith,

I'm not sure what I'm considering as far as a trip goes. I don't need Elite miles so I don't care about the miles per se (Oh my god-- I can't believe I just typed that!) was hoping someone who is very familiar with a particular destination might respond with: We fly to X, stay at the lovely hotel Z and oh boy-- I can hardly wait to have the great breakfast again at cafe Y.

Only 'cause I have no energy to plan anything right now-- normally I would delight in immersing myself in 3-4 guidebooks and would furiously scan FT and the web for great Hotel, sightseeing tips.

Anyway, thanks to most for the offers/support-- I know everybody is going through the same thing.
Old Sep 17, 01, 12:42 pm

I'm doing the complete opposite - going *TO* the tri-state area (home is where the heart is).

-j777 in SAN
Old Sep 17, 01, 1:41 pm

I live in Arlington, VA less than 2 miles from DCA (and about 1.5 from the Pentagon) and despite the closing of DCA I'm going to LA for a mileage run that was previously scheduled.

Send me e-mail ([email protected]) if you will be in LA this weekend!
Old Sep 17, 01, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Jon:

I like the idea, My schedule is fairly flexible after next week, I'd be interested in joining in.

Old Sep 17, 01, 8:08 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
I am going to TPA via iah and west palm this weekend, on to MSP next weekend. Was heading to IAD last thursday for my neices b-day (and my last segments for gold), so am scrambling now to make them up by Oct. 6 when I go to pit with a friend.

I can go pretty much any Sunday with return on Monday or early Tuesday.
Old Sep 17, 01, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Would it be logical to assume that CO might have a good quantity/quality of CO.O.L. travel specials this weekend?
Old Sep 17, 01, 10:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
I invite you all to BNA for the Australian Festival, featuring competition in Aussie Rules football and cricket. Oh, there will be American football on the other side of the Cumberland too.

http://www.nashvillekangaroos.org
Old Sep 18, 01, 8:32 am

Programs: CO Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
Would it be logical to assume that CO might have a good quantity/quality of CO.O.L. travel specials this weekend?</font>
That would be a logical assumption, but when I checked the specials this morning, they were still listing destinations/fares from last week. Maybe they'll pop up later today.
Old Sep 18, 01, 8:49 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:

Would it be logical to assume that CO might have a good quantity/quality of CO.O.L. travel specials this weekend?</font>
---

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those that have suffered from last week’s tragedy. In light of recent events, Continental Airlines is not offering CO.O.L. Travel Specials this week.

We will continue to communicate operational data and other information that will assist you in planning your upcoming travel via continental.com. In the meantime, please be sure to visit the web site to view flight status, pertinent news and receive answers to frequently asked questions about airport operations.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. We sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation.

Search this Thread