Wiki Posts
Search

Discontinued Cities

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2001, 7:42 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Discontinued Cities

The following was posted to my message board BiddingForTravel.com by a CO employee:

As of October 1, 2001 Continental will be discontinuing service to the following cities:
MLB - Melbourne, FL
DAB - Daytona Beach, FL
STN - London Stanton [sic], UK
DUS - Dusseldorf, Germany
ABI - Abiline, TX
SJT - San Angelo, TX
TYR - Tyler, TX
ACT - Waco, TX
HOU - Houston Hobby, TX
ACY - Atlantic City, NJ
Old Sep 16, 2001, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for that update. I was trying to book a flight to the UK yesterday for travel in OCT. and I couldn't find any flights on CO from EWR to STN -- now I understand why.
Old Sep 16, 2001, 3:54 pm

ITN shows the following Int'l flights as cancelled (eff. Oct. 1):

CO 32/33 EWR-GIG-EWR
CO 36/37 EWR-DUS-EWR
CO 38/39 EWR-STN-EWR
CO 54/55 EWR-CDG-EWR
CO 66/67 CLE-LGW-CLE

Can somebody confirm this?
Old Sep 16, 2001, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Read the original post that you're replying to for some of the answers.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 7:04 am

As per Continental Domestic Passenger reservations (0805 Central). SJT has not been discontinued. They are continuing to sell tickets. Please provide additional verification or additional sources to reconfirm - please.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 7:07 am

CLE non-stop to LON is looking like a casualty... I had res over Thanksgiving, but a look at CO's website doesn't show the flight as being around after Sept...
Old Sep 17, 2001, 12:06 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Continental Airlines Capacity Reduction Ends Service to 10 Cities

HOUSTON, Sept. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - news) today announced preliminary details of its previously announced long-term schedule reduction, which is being taken as a direct result of the current and anticipated drop in demand for air travel.

Overall Continental and Continental Express (included in all data below) are reducing capacity by 20 percent on a systemwide available seat mile basis.

``These painful steps are necessary for the long-term survival of Continental,'' said Chairman and CEO Gordon Bethune. ``Although these schedule reductions will hurt communities and those who have come to rely on us, we have no choice.''

As a result of the changes, Continental's hub activity will be modified as follows:

Original Revised Daily Percent

Hub Daily Daily Flight Change

Airport Departures Departures Reduction in Flights

Cleveland 249 215 34 (14%)
Houston 555 478 77 (14%)
Newark 377 302 75 (20%)

System 2,446 2,017 429 (18%)

The 18 percent reduction in flights results in a 20 percent reduction in available seat mile capacity.

Continental and Continental Express will stop flying the following routes, resulting in a complete discontinuation of service at the 10 cities with an asterisk:

Cleveland-Atlantic City, N.J.* NY/Newark-Daytona Beach, Fla.*
Houston-Abilene, Texas* NY/Newark-Dusseldorf, Germany*
Houston-San Angelo, Texas* NY/Newark-Houston/Hobby*
Houston-Tyler, Texas* NY/Newark-London/Stansted*
Houston-Waco, Texas* NY/Newark-Melbourne, Fla.*

Continental also announced that it will be temporarily suspending service between Cleveland and London/Gatwick. Nonstop service from NY/Newark to Rio de Janeiro is being suspended, although service to Rio de Janeiro will continue to be offered via Sao Paulo.

The changes will take effect on various dates between now and Oct. 1.

Continental will not implement service to Montego Bay and Kingston, Jamaica, which was planned to take effect at the end of this year.

Most of the total capacity reduction is generated by modifying flight frequencies (for example, reducing flying from five times per day to four times per day on a particular route) on dozens of additional routes that will be specified at a later date.

Included in the planned changes is the suspension of all DC-10 flying effective Oct. 1. Also subject to temporary grounding are approximately 31 Continental standard-body aircraft and 14 Continental Express turboprops.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010917/dam028_1.html
Old Sep 17, 2001, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Interesting that they appear to be sticking with EWR-HKG. I guess long-term hopes for that one rose after United's pullout.

Some of what Gord is doing is hard-nosed gamesmanship, but I'm still surprised at how sick they suddenly are after all this time we've been hearing about how healthy they've become. If nothing else, this should let some gas out of the hype balloon. I remember being at highest elite level during the last bankruptcy...would hate to see that happen again.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sheryl:
The following was posted to my message board BiddingForTravel.com by a CO employee:

As of October 1, 2001 Continental will be

HOU - Houston Hobby, TX
</font>
Hmmm.. How is it I was able to upgrade a ticket to FC, for travel on November 21 - 25? My flight goes through HOU? The rep did not mention this to me? maybe I should call them back.

Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DelrayChris:
Hmmm.. How is it I was able to upgrade a ticket to FC, for travel on November 21 - 25? My flight goes through HOU? The rep did not mention this to me? maybe I should call them back.

</font>
It probably means you're going through IAH, not HOU. I don't believe they even fly aircraft to HOU that have a FC cabin.

[This message has been edited by ht_redneck (edited 09-18-2001).]
Old Sep 18, 2001, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ht_redneck:
It probably means you're going through IAH, not HOU. I don't believe they even fly aircraft to HOU that have a FC cabin.</font>
Actually, CO launched nonstop HOU-EWR service with the 735 earlier this month. That service will now be discontinued on October 1.

I'd call CO and verify that they've switched you to an IAH flight and that the upgrade went through. Apparently some of these schedule cuts haven't been loaded into the reservations system yet, as the flights are still appearing in the schedules and website's booking engine.
Old Sep 18, 2001, 11:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DelrayChris:

</font>
If you are connecting planes, you are definitely going through Houston Intercontinental IAH, not Houston Hobby HOU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.