Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO1724 IAH-AUS serviced via bus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2001, 10:08 pm

If I were in this situation I think I would take the bus (by then I would just want to *get there*!) but is there a choice? Could the person have refused the bus and insisted on being put on a plane the next day?
Old Sep 5, 2001, 5:52 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
You can refuse the bus. The rules are like kind equipment. Jet for Jet. Not prop instead of jet... nor BUS for jet. BUT, the problem is, I have to look up the exact amount, but the airline can then refund your ticket at a certain percentage above face and be done with you.
Old Sep 6, 2001, 4:58 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Continental Airlines Contract of Carriage

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Rule 240
Comparable Air Transportation – transportation provided by air carriers, or foreign air carriers holding certificates of public convenience and necessity, or foreign permits.</font>
It doesn't say a prop is any different from a jet. However, a bus is not an air carrier.

Continuing:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
B) Schedule Irregularity
When a passenger will be delayed because of a Schedule Irregularity caused by CO, CO will use its best efforts to arrange onward transportation over its own lines in the same class of service at no additional cost to the passenger. If space is available on CO flight(s) in a different class of service acceptable to the passenger, such flight(s) will be used at no additional cost to the passenger only if the flight(s) provide an earlier arrival at the passenger’s destination. At the passenger’s request, provided that the tariff covering the original transportation permits Routing via the carrier which will transport the passenger, CO will reaccommodate the passenger in the same class of service on the next available flight on another carrier, or combination of carriers, if the length of the delay to the passenger’s destination exceeds 2 hours.
C) Change in Schedule
When a passenger will be delayed because of a Change in Schedule, CO will, at its election arrange to:

1) Transport the passenger over its own lines to the destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover, at no additional cost to the passenger, provided that a passenger who paid a Coach fare will only be transported on a flight in First Class or Business First Class Service subject to availability, if such flight will provide an earlier arrival than CO’s next flight on which coach space is available;

2) Reroute passengers holding confirmed reservations between the two cities, over the lines of one or more carriers when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all CO service between two cities.

3) Provide a refund in accordance with Rule 260 (Involuntary Refunds) if the passenger is not transported as provided in D)1) and D)2) above.(should be C1 and C2)

EXCEPTION: Change in Schedule does not include Force Majeure Events as defined below. CO may, in the event of a Force Majeure Event, without notice, cancel, terminate, divert, postpone, or delay any flight, right of carriage or reservations (whether or not confirmed) and determine if any departure or landing should be made, without any liability on the part of CO except to refund any unused portion of the Ticket in the original form of payment, in accordance with involuntary refund rules herein. As used in this rule, a Force Majeure Event is defined as:
(blah blah blah, basically weather, ATC and strikes)</font>
You get a free hotel if you have to overnight unless:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">When such interruption is due to circumstances outside CO’s control such as weather condition and air traffic control delays.</font>

Involuntary refunds:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Rule 260
The amount CO will refund upon surrender of the unused portion of the passenger’s Ticket, pursuant to Rule 35 (Refusal to Transport), Rule 50 (Acceptance of Children), or Rule 240 (Flight Delays/Cancellations), will be:

(a refund)

If alternative surface transportation is provided and such is acceptable to the passenger, no refund will be provided.</font>
So, if you are willing to take the bus, you don't get a refund. If you don't want to take the bus, you can get a refund.

You don't get a percentage over the face value of the ticket.

Naturally, CO can provide more than what's in the C-O-C, so compensation isn't impossible.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old Sep 7, 2001, 3:31 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
So what that means is you might be better off taking a refund and purchasing a one-way car rental. Depends on what they consider to be the value of the segment.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 4:31 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
mweiss, off the top of my head, I think it's:

(full fare for the dropped segment) divided by (full fare for the whole trip) times fare actually paid

See Rule 260 in the link of my previous post.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 7:59 pm

About a month ago on a Friday afternoon during horrible thunderstorms at EWR, I heard an announcement that CO was offering transportation on Amtrak to Washington, DC and Boston if your flight was delayed/cancelled.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 10:10 pm

Last Christmas, on a NW flt PHX-MSP, we were diverted to Duluth, MN due to a mechanical issue. We were put on busses, to an unknown destination, and eventually made it to MSP 8 hours late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.