FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   need advice...??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/40744-need-advice.html)

pointman Aug 30, 2001 3:26 pm

need advice...???

I have a one night run booked for this saturday. It's a restricted discount ticket. My wife has been in the hospital with pre-term labor and now it looks as if this weekend may be the big day. When I booked the ticket I thought I was safe since she is not due for another 4 weeks..Oh well. My question, does anyone know if CO, out of the goodness of their hearts, would at least credit me the elite miles for the flight if I don't use the ticket? I could provide them with a copy of my lovely six figure hospital bill to help show that I am not trying to play games with the Onepass program.....Or am I just screwed? Don't know why they would care, since they are making the same amount of money from me. Heck, if they need to sell the seat to someone else, they are even making more...thanks

NJDavid Aug 30, 2001 3:30 pm

If you are one RT away from regaining elite status, they have some very nice people in the marketing department and (especially this year) will probably work with you if asked. They usually give some grace anyway.

If you are one RT away from achieving elite status, then they are not usually as giving.

If this is one of the fly XX times to gain elite status (as oposed to hitting the appropriate level of miles) then I would think it would be no dice.

But there is no way they will give you status miles for a flight you didn't take.

JonNYC Aug 30, 2001 3:42 pm

Congrats on the new addition, but forget about the miles, it 'aint gonna' happen.

Jon Toner Aug 30, 2001 3:45 pm

You might get the change fee waived. You still have 3+ months to make the/A trip to make it.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

pointman Aug 30, 2001 3:49 pm

Well that's a major bummer. It took me weeks to convince my wife of the value of mileage runs before she "allowed" me to purchase the ticket. I hate to just throw this ticket in the trash. I care more about losing the mileage than the ticket price. All four segments have already been upgraded too....What a waste. I suppose worse tragedies could happen but ouch! (It's 6100 status miles).

cigarman Aug 30, 2001 5:05 pm

It's not wasted. CO will let you change dates without the change fee, when you explain. Or they will let you apply the money to another ticket. I have had similar situations and CO is easy to work with.

pointman Aug 30, 2001 5:25 pm

Cigarman-
Any suggestions on who I should speak with about this?
Thanks

cigarman Aug 30, 2001 6:23 pm

Well, the tried and true CO answer is... Call until you get the answer you want.
I find if someone answers the elite line, and sounds happy... goes well. If they sound pissed just answering... Don't ask! Just hang up (must have just entered a bad cell, right? wink wink) Call back until you get someone who is happy AND sounds like they speak english. That's the only tip I have.

pointman Aug 31, 2001 1:47 am

UPDATE- I guess I may be able to make this run after all. At 7:40 pm tonight, my wife had an emergency C-section and our new daughter was born. Luckily, I was in the area when I got the call, but I still just barely made it in time. Both will need to rest in the hospital for at least four days, so if after Friday they are doing good, I may try to take the flights, although now I have no desire whatsoever to leave.

milesmilesmiles Aug 31, 2001 7:08 am

Please let us know your wife's reaction when you tell her this...

SMessier Aug 31, 2001 7:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by milesmilesmiles:
Please let us know your wife's reaction when you tell her this...</font>
Yes -- please do tell us!

Nothing says I love you like "See you after the mileage run!" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

H53Epilot Aug 31, 2001 8:00 am

Don't forget to bring her some free peanuts.

MRLIMO Aug 31, 2001 8:03 am

Congratulations pointman on the new addition to your family. I'm sure she will bring countless hours of pleasure, pride and joy and hopefully millions of OnePass miles to your family's net worth.

Don't forget to sign her up for OnePass!

You never know, her first words may be "Mileage RunŠ." http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Best wishes.

BSL Aug 31, 2001 8:48 am

Congratulations Pointman!

Now the real question is:

Will she have a SSN or FF number first???

BSL

pointman Aug 31, 2001 9:43 am

well as I have a natural aversion to crying babies on airplanes, I never travel with kids. So, her FF# can probably wait a few years. The wife is OK with the run. She knows it was purchased long before any of this was suspected might happen. I am more willing to throw out the ticket than she is.