Elite fare bonus on NW purchased ticket?

Old Sep 4, 01, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Elite fare bonus on NW purchased ticket?

Howdy folks,

I need a run in a BAD way. I'm starting in the basement and am GOING to make plat this year if it kills me. To me, time is more valuable than money so I'm willing to purchase a ticket in BizFirst/First as long as it's not exhorbitant. I found one on the NW website, from CRP-TPE for $3400. It flies CO to NRT and then NW to TPE. The problem is, according to the OPSC, unless the ticket is for a *CO* coded flight, it doesn't get the elite fare bonus. The website doesn't say anything about that but I called four times and got the same story each time. Anyone hear different?
Old Sep 4, 01, 12:03 pm
Original Member

The CO web-site states the following:
"You earn an Elite mileage bonus every time you travel with a qualifying paid fare on these participating airlines:

Continental Airlines
Continental Express
Continental Connection
Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlink
Northwest code-share flights operated by KLM (ticketed as Northwest Airlines) etc etc ... " (truncated)

so you would earn the Elite bonus. The web-site mentions "Continental code-share flights operated by other airlines (ticketed as Continental)." This applies to airlines that CO code-shares with that are not otherwise partners in OnePass like VS.
Old Sep 4, 01, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kanebear;

Are you sure you meant to ask about "elite bonus"?

Because you mention earning Plat (which Elite bonus does not contribute to) AND paying full-fare-- so I'm thinking you meant to ask if "class of service" bonus applies?

BTW, as others sometimes point out; if you are willing to do crazy-runs and are willing to pay for BF/FC-- you might be better off doing them in January as you will essentially get an extra year of Elite Status (2/2001 vs. 2/2003) for the same $$ investment vs. doing them this year. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 09-04-2001).]
Old Sep 4, 01, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
kanebear;

Are you sure you meant to ask about "elite bonus"?

Because you mention earning Plat (which Elite bonus does not contribute to) AND paying full-fare-- so I'm thinking you meant to ask if "class of service" bonus applies?

BTW, as others sometimes point out; if you are willing to do crazy-runs and are willing to pay for BF/FC-- you might be better off doing them in January as you will essentially get an extra year of Elite Status (2/2001 vs. 2/2003) for the same $$ investment vs. doing them this year. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 09-04-2001).]
</font>
Jon,

You would be correct. I meant the class-of-service elite qualification miles bonus. As far as qualifying early next year... I'm actually starting off with a trip to LGW and FCO... a honeymoon.

I'd much rather wait to qualify until next year but if I can make Plat this year it'll improve my U/G chances. The trip's in Mid-January, so qualifying next year is a no go. I told the OPSC that the trip is my honeymoon and the rep said they do provide 'special consideration' for situations like this. I know loads are incredibly light in Jan, but I don't want to take any chances!
Old Sep 4, 01, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mazel-tov!

Are you, by chance, making reference to "special consideration" in terms of getting an international upgrade to BF? If that's what your getting at (that if you make Plat before the trip to LON, FCO perhaps you might have a shot at a Honeymoon upgrade,) well, forget it-- again, IF that's what you are referring to.

Those type of operational upgrades are possible but very, very unlikely. And certainly not worth spending any money on visa via trying to earn Plat before your trip, IMHO. The chances are so slim that any money spent with that hope in mind would be very wasted.

The fact that loads are light in January is actually working against you as the majority of Elite-based BF operational upgrades come about as a result of over-booking in coach.

Old Sep 4, 01, 2:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
I need a run in a BAD way. I'm starting in the basement and am GOING to make plat this year if it kills me.</font>
Whoa, dude. Don't obsess over this. Being a measly Gold (or even a Silver) isn't terrible. As a Silver Elite, I've upgraded all but once on CO domestic flights; my fiancee has upgraded on all but two EWR-IAH Friday afternoon flights and one IAH-CRP Sunday night flight. And you have the option of flying NW out of SAT, where you compete against very few Elites for First Class space (e.g., there were two empty FC seats yesterday on the evening flight from MSP). In any event, the economy sucks, so there's a lot fewer business travelers to compete against.

Anyway, you'd have to use miles to go BF to LGW. If you can't confirm an upgrade in advance, maybe you ought to buy the BF ticket.
Old Sep 4, 01, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bry99:
Whoa, dude. Don't obsess over this. Being a measly Gold (or even a Silver) isn't terrible. As a Silver Elite, I've upgraded all but once on CO domestic flights; my fiancee has upgraded on all but two EWR-IAH Friday afternoon flights and one IAH-CRP Sunday night flight. And you have the option of flying NW out of SAT, where you compete against very few Elites for First Class space (e.g., there were two empty FC seats yesterday on the evening flight from MSP). In any event, the economy sucks, so there's a lot fewer business travelers to compete against.

Anyway, you'd have to use miles to go BF to LGW. If you can't confirm an upgrade in advance, maybe you ought to buy the BF ticket.
</font>
I'm already a Gold, but the Plat status does help quite a bit in the upgrade 'lotto'. I'm not worried about the domestic upgrades. If I get 'em, fine. If I don't, I can deal with Y for 3-4 hours.

As far as paying for the BF ticket... NO way... $7200 to LGW x2? Highway robbery. I'm going to TPE via NRT for $3400, which is almost double the mileage for less than half the cost! My fiancee definitely wants to ride up front but if I told her it was going to be $14,000 she'd say "Forget the trip, I'll get new furniture!"

Good idea about flying out of SAT though, I'd miss out on the awesome BizFirst service but in the front on almost any airline beats being in the back on a CO flight, entertainment system or no.
Old Sep 4, 01, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:

Those type of operational upgrades are possible but very, very unlikely. And certainly not worth spending any money on visa via trying to earn Plat before your trip, IMHO. The chances are so slim that any money spent with that hope in mind would be very wasted.

</font>
I need to clarify, I meant in terms of the upgrade lottery. Since Plats get first shot at the upgrades, I figure it will help.

I know better than to think I'd get an operational upgrade unless something seriously out of the ordinary happened. CO would rather let those seats fly empty than fill 'em without getting something for it!

While I've never missed an upgrade when I've played 'CO lotto', on this trip I am taking no chances. It'll also make things easier for all the future trips that we'll be taking, g-d willing.

Some might deride me for spending money to make plat, then spending MORE money for the 'chance' to get a BizFirst seat (my zaydeh for one would kick my a--), but being in CRP we don't have much choice. Here, it's either CO or AA (DL has two flights a day, both at awful times). Frankly with the bad luck I've had on AA, plus the fact that they run mostly ATR's out of CRP, I stay away like the plague.

P.S. Todah rabah. My parents said Mazel Tov too when they found out my fiancee's Jewish. My mother looked ready to dance a jig!

{Edited for verbosity. My verbiage, and my waistline, need a trimming!}

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 09-04-2001).]
Old Sep 4, 01, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I have an answer, but I think it's the wrong one, or at least not what the answer SHOULD be. I've now heard that the Elite Qualification Mileage Bonus applies from two people, and doesn't apply from three, when purchasing a NW ticket in business/first.

I purchased the ticket after one of the supervisors at the OPSC said that, yes, the elite qualification miles did apply. So at least this once I'm going to get the bonus. I made them give it to me, *in writing*, and it's on my onepass acount as well. So, we'll see if it posts properly.
Old Sep 4, 01, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA MM, BV Titanium, HH Diamond
Class of service bonuses for OnePass do apply on NW coded flights. I am leaving tonight on NW on a purchased C fare to Europe and fully expect the 50% Q mile bonus.
A historical note: When the alliance first started, NW was giving out these class of service Q mile bonuses in OnePass even when we were upgraded from discount fares. That lasted a few months until somebody wised them up.
Old Sep 4, 01, 7:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">As far as paying for the BF ticket... NO way... $7200 to LGW x2? </font>
Since you seem willing to spend at least some money on full-fare BF tickets, have you considered the American Express Platinum International Airline Program (IAP)? This would give you a "buy 1, get 1 free" deal on most CO BF flights (Hawaii is excluded, but many cities in Europe, as well as Brazil, Israel, and Japan are included). The $300 annual fee pays for itself many times over the first time you can take advantage of this offer. There's about 17 airlines involved, with CO having the strongest participation among US airlines. When you use the Amex Platinum IAP, the purchased ticket gets full mileage, including BF fare bonus, but the second ticket doesn't get any miles.
Old Sep 4, 01, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
There's about 17 airlines involved, with CO having the strongest participation among US airlines. When you use the Amex Platinum IAP, the purchased ticket gets full mileage, including BF fare bonus, but the second ticket doesn't get any miles.</font>
Funny that you mention the IAP. I called up Centurion before I decided to go on this qualification quest, as I figured it`d be a great way to get around the COLotto. I found out quickly that the IAP ain't all that... or at least isn't when I need to travel.

The only flight available for when I wanted to go was a Virgin codeshare out of MCO, and there wasn't any availability for a FOUR WEEK window around when I wanted to go. One of these days I'll try them again, but it didn't work this time. Have you had better luck with them?
Old Sep 5, 01, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would try them again-- I've used Amex IAP a couple of times and not had any problem with availability whatsoever-- something's not right, LON in January should not be too difficult.

After all, the IAP two-for-one program is a much better deal for the airline than a pair of BF upgrades on H or K fares.
Old Sep 5, 01, 1:45 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Have you had better luck with them? </font>
I have to admit that I've never used it on CO. I've booked 3 trips on Asiana Airlines using it, and have always received my first choice of dates. My CO BF flights seem to always be on routes that are not eligible for IAP or where upgrades from coach are easy to come by, so I haven't had the occasion to use it myself.
Old Sep 6, 01, 7:00 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Just a thought, since money does not seem to be a great consideration in your quest, yet I personally believe that you should receive value, why don't you consider a RTW business class ticket for $3-$5k and be done with it?

Search this Thread