Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can Elite Status reserve Exit Rows w/ CO and HP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond

If one has elite status is it possible to reserve exit rows in the event your upgrade does not become available?

Also, does this apply to America West? I travel on them a lot. FLL-PHX-FLL.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:37 pm

Mark....I'm PLAT and do that all the time(in case not upgraded)on CO. I don't know about the lower tiers...You can't reserve them at all on HP...sorry.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Until about two years ago, CO did not assign exit row seats to anybody unless they were top Elite tier and "exit row qualified," a term that was apparently in that flyer's record.
My wife, who also has generally been top tier, could not get these seats while I always was able to do so. Then, about at the beginning of last year, she suddenly was able to get exit rows assigned at ticketing without needing to declare to the agent doing the seating, as I always did, that she was "qualified.
I believe that IM4Travel is now correct that the seats will be assigned to any Plat.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
I'm Gold, and I just did it yesterday! Booked two reward tix SNA-EWR-STT on CO's half-mileage sale. And being that all four aircraft are 73G's, I reserved my favorite 14F on all segments. The agent mentioned that that was an exit row, and asked if we were "exit row qualified," to which I said, "Yes!"

This is where all those bonus miles I got for suffering in Economy on the return from HKG last Feb. are beginning to pay off!

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:24 pm

This is a very tricky issue and varies from one agent to another.
Theoreticly, Bulkhead and Exit rows are reserved for people with dissabilities, and very tall people with long legs. Theoreticly, These rows (especialy exit rows) are "airport assign" only seats but often when I ask an agent to assign me an exit row even days before the flight they say that these seats are gone. Being Plat I was never successfull in reserving exit row seats over the phone, and sometimes successfull in the airport 2-3 days before the flights.

On Bulkhead seats it is easier, but still I was once over 1/2 an hour on the phone with a CO agent on the Elite line that refused to assign me my favorite 1L seat on the 777 on the excuse it is reserved for people with dissabilities. I got her to assign me the seat with a remark that it is temporary assignment and if a person with dissabilities demands the seat he will take it. Of course, no one demanded this seat and I got it. On every other occasion I did not have any problem with Bulkhead seats.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by apirchik:
This is a very tricky issue and varies from one agent to another.
Theoreticly, Bulkhead and Exit rows are reserved for people with dissabilities, and very tall people with long legs.
</font>
That's not true at all. Reserving exit rows for the disabled? That doesn't make any sense.

A portion of bulkhead seats are reserved for disabled and the rest are for Elites. Sometimes, the seats will go both ways and you can book it as an Elite but with the warning that a disabled person will get it at the airport if they need it. You'll generally end up with a middle seat if this happens and a Continental Currency coupon.

Elites should have no problem reserving any bulkheads, "Elite seats" in the front of coach, or exit row seats over the phone when booking a reservation.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Since becoming a Silver I've had no trouble calling and asking for an exit row seat assignment. They've always given it to me if it was available, and on one trip recently that my parents and two siblings were traveling with me on, I was able to get everyone an exit row seat.

Before I was an elite I was unable to get exit row seats assigned before check-in at the airport.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
dbaker is 100% correct! People with disabilities are specifically barred from exit row seats. If you look in the magazine pouch in an exit row, there is a card explaining the requirements for sitting in an exit row. It specifically states that you must be in good enough physical shape to assist other passengers during an emergency exit, including opening and removing an emergency exit hatch which may weigh up to 70 lbs.

Actually, there was a court case where a disabled individual sued one of the airlines for denying him an exit row seat. The airline won (rightly so, I believe) by claiming that by allowing a disabled person to sit in the exit row, it would slow others from exiting in an emergency, thus placing the rest of the passengers in additional danger.

And I believe this is why airlines generally hold back exit row seats until the gate. This gives the agent an opportunity to visually evaluate the passenger. Thus, if the person is an infant, in a wheelchair, 86 years old with a walker, or in any other way unable to assist in an emergency, the agent will refuse that person the exit row seat.

Bulkhead seats, OTOH, are an entirely different story. They are, in fact, reserved for disabled and parents with babies. CO's 777's even have a drop down basinette in front of the center bulkheads.

------------------
In Economy...no one can hear you scream!
Old Aug 26, 2001, 12:03 pm

As said previously, it depends on the agent you are talking to. Assure her/him that you are "exit row qualified" and YES THEY CAN. If they won't do it for you, ask for a supervisor who will usually make the exception for you. Keep in mind, folks, that most "res agents" are just starting out in the airline business, and some might be afraid of making exceptions. Be patient with them and they will offer you better assistance.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 4:23 pm

My mistake then.

On the 777 only 2 seats qualify for baby basinets in coach- 32 D and F. Maybe some more in BF. Lots of Friends of mine traveling with babies on the flights 90/91 - to/from Israel complain about these limited seats that usuly you need to be very lucky or have a very early reservation to get it.
Old Aug 26, 2001, 11:01 pm

In my experience, I've had a really, really hard time getting those seats over the phone. They 99% of the time tell me it's for airport assignment only (and I'm gold, for what it's worth.)

Once, and only once, my boyfriend got into a debate with the phone agent as to whether I was "exit row qualified" - she inquired as to my age, and other things. I found that particularly odd.

Old Aug 27, 2001, 4:02 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Odd? I don't think so...
You have to be an adult to fly in the exit rows. No kids. There are elites who are kids. You had someone other than yourself calling... why would it seem odd if they want to know how old you were?
Old Aug 28, 2001, 11:36 am

[This message has been edited by jetsetter777 (edited 08-28-2001).]
Old Aug 28, 2001, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kids certainly can be qualified to sit in exit rows. The minimum age is 15 and that age certainly qualifies as a kid.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 11:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ssullivan:
Since becoming a Silver I've had no trouble calling and asking for an exit row seat assignment. They've always given it to me if it was available, and on one trip recently that my parents and two siblings were traveling with me on, I was able to get everyone an exit row seat.

Before I was an elite I was unable to get exit row seats assigned before check-in at the airport.
</font>
I had never tried to get exit row/bulkhead seats prior to check-in, but I just called the elite reservations number and got my girlfriend (no status) and I (Silver Elite) bulkhead one-way (row 7 on a 757-200) and an exit row (row 21 on an MD-80) on the return. The agent asked if we were both "exit row qualified".

Make sure not to get the first row of an exit row pair as the seats do not recline (I think row 15 on a 757-200 and row 20 on an MD-80)...

[This message has been edited by jimbob (edited 08-29-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.