New member with lots of questions

Old Aug 23, 01, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

New member with lots of questions

Hi Everyone,

I've been browsing through this site and so far have found a lot of useful information. I have a few questions though.

Bonuses:
Can you get these bonuses if you book through your company's travel agent? I usually just check in at the gate and give my FF# then.

Upgrades:
I am about 6000 miles away from my Silver status. Can I only get free upgrades as an elite member? What happens if I get my elite status in the middle of a trip? Am I then eligible for upgrades?
I'm going on my honeymoon in 2 months and I thought it would be great if we could get free upgrades to first class.
Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 01, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skippy:

Bonuses:
Can you get these bonuses if you book through your company's travel agent? I usually just check in at the gate and give my FF# then.
</font>
That is no problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Upgrades:
I am about 6000 miles away from my Silver status. Can I only get free upgrades as an elite member?
</font>
Yes, or by using FF miles.

What happens if I get my elite status in the middle of a trip? Am I then eligible for upgrades?
</font>
Yes, for the return portion if it is 24h after your qualifying flight.

I'm going on my honeymoon in 2 months and I thought it would be great if we could get free upgrades to first class.
</font>
That would be nice. You're not supposed to get companion upgrades as a Silver Elite (and should never -count- on it as a Silver), but I bet that the gate agents may cut some slack for newlyweds.

Old Aug 23, 01, 4:03 pm

If you give your ff# at the gate, you could encounter big problems (that's been my experience). Hang on to your ticket receipt and boarding stubs in case you don't get credit. CO is good about giving you miles if you have your stuff!

------------------
Mike Benson
Old Aug 23, 01, 10:36 pm

You might want to make sure you TA has your FF# to give to the airline (my corp TA lets you enter FF#s, as well as seat and meal preferences). Or if that isn't possible, call CO reservations after the flight has been booked, and get your FF# onto your record - saves having to remember to do it at check-in.

Moose

Search this Thread