"buying" flight miles?

Old Dec 18, 98, 10:44 am
Original Member
Original Poster

"buying" flight miles?

Does anyone know of a way to buy or otherwise get flight mile w/o flying? I need about 1700 miles to attain Elite status for this year, but do not have any travel plans now. I do have MCI and the Chase Onepass Visa.
Old Dec 18, 98, 10:49 am
Original Member

The real answer is no. It depends on what you are willing to spend, though. Two R/T's from Aus to IAH would get you 2,000 flight miles. See if you can get 2 lowfare R/T's and you will exceed the 1,700 miles.
Old Dec 18, 98, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Even better, and usually cheaper on the right routes, is just finding a four segment round trip for the lowest possible price.

For instance, I flew MSY-ATL-MCO-SRQ-MCO-ATL-MSY (six segments) on Delta last weekend to get the five segments I need to qualify for Gold Medallion this year, and the ticket only cost me $158.00, which is not too bad, especially considering I earned 6500 miles for the flight also!

Just try and find some city CO flies to that's really cheap that you'll need to connect for ...
Old Dec 18, 98, 4:23 pm
Original Member

I am in the same situation but on NW, and found a $190 fare TPA/Toronto for this wkend (out Sat, back Sun). I'm going out via MSP and back via DTW. With the new rules, you might also check NW.
Old Jul 24, 01, 4:15 pm

Give The Gift Of Travel With OnePass Miles

Birthdays, weddings, Motherís Day or college graduations ó OnePass miles are the perfect gift for any occasion. Through July 31, 2001, for only $25,* you can purchase OnePass miles in increments of 1,000. Purchase for as many accounts as you wish, with a limit of 12,000 miles per account. All you need is the OnePass account number of the person for whom youíre buying the miles. And, because OnePass miles do not expire,** they can be redeemed whenever itís convenient.

So give the gift that opens the door to a world of rewarding travel opportunities on Continental and our airline partners.

Give the gift of OnePass miles. Just call the OnePass Service Center at 1-800-554-5522 with the recipientís OnePass account number. Be sure to mention Promotion Code GG ONE TB0035.

* Non-refundable after transaction has been made.
** All terms and conditions of OnePass apply, including Continentalís right to modify or terminate the OnePass program in accordance with the terms and conditions of OnePass.

==========================

one week left!
Old Jul 24, 01, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
No, that post won't do it...this person seeks status miles not onepass miles.
Old Jul 24, 01, 6:14 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/002907.html
Old Jul 24, 01, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh??

He should buy Silver Elite status in an ebay auction??

He only needs 1700 miles-- that could be done (with some planning) for $125 or so-- I think he should do a run.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old Jul 25, 01, 9:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">He should buy Silver Elite status in an ebay auction??</font>
I never said he should. I simply noted that he could.
Old Jul 25, 01, 10:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">No, that post won't do it...this person seeks status miles not onepass miles. </font>
You can't win. You do the DD to look up a three year-old topic so as to not clutter up the board with duplicate topics, and somebody has to nitpick that you're not EXACTLY answering the question. You start a new topic, and somebody provides you with links to all the previous discussions of the matter.
Old Jul 25, 01, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Straight-flava, are you saying I should not have pointed out that your post was unrelated to the question posed by the person who started this topic?

I wasn't trying to be offensive to you, just to be accurate. This guy needs status miles to qualify, and you posted some info about getting onepass miles, which is apples and oranges. No offense meant, but, your post was misleading as it suggests to the original poster that he can qualify for elite status by way of the information you provided, which is simply not the case. We need to be accurate in sharing / providing information.

Old Jul 25, 01, 1:15 pm

never mind

Last edited by hoieunkim; Jun 13, 11 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 25, 01, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hoieunkim;

Just start checking the MileageRun forum and pick up on any CO run that comes up.

I did a 4th of July run for $130 or so on NW that was good for almost 2000 miles-- and people routinely report more miles for less $$.

Your Silver credentials will take as little as 2.5 weeks as much as 6-8 weeks.
Old Jul 25, 01, 1:44 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Just quick question: how long does it take for Continental to send a new membership card once I achieve a silver status? Sorry for the unrelated question.[/B]</font>
It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, from what I've seen. However it doesn't matter, since you'll be listed as Silver in the computer and you'll get all the benefits. The benefits kick in the day after your miles post.

Old Jul 25, 01, 4:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Straight-flava, are you saying I should not have pointed out that your post was unrelated to the question posed by the person who started this topic?

I wasn't trying to be offensive to you, just to be accurate. This guy needs status miles to qualify, and you posted some info about getting onepass miles, which is apples and oranges. No offense meant, but, your post was misleading as it suggests to the original poster that he can qualify for elite status by way of the information you provided, which is simply not the case. We need to be accurate in sharing / providing information. </font>
Thank you for the cordiality of your response, thesilb. I was under the impression that it would generally be understood that a "reply" two years and seven months after the question would be understood to not apply directly to the original poster, but was merely further information under the same topic, "'Buying' flight miles," to be made available to any reader of interest. However, you are right; I am wrong; I should have noted that I was merely addressing the same topic without direct reference to the original problem. Thank you for your correction. Happy (con-)trails, straight-flava from NYC.

Search this Thread