2005 Elite card arrives

Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
I just received my Silver Elite card and noticed that the Priority Line for Silver Elites has changed for 2005. Is this an yearly phenom or just another kick in the teeth for us lowly Silvers?

The gold changed as well...
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:20 pm

The Elite line numbers change every year to prevent downgraded "flunkies" from using their old elite line number. This happened even when the elite line was non-elite.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:48 pm

I got mine sometime last week (I was on the road, so I don't know when)

I got Gold, even though I had not "earned" it. By that I mean that I was just shy of it because I did not realize the new "EQM" thing - can you tell I've been out of the points and miles thing for a while? I was booking cheap tickets on my company's travel site rather than on continental.com, where I was being cheated on my miles and paying the same cost as booking on continental.com.

I got the same type of "even though you haven't earned it" letter. I had posted earlier this year that I might call and ask to be upgraded, but I procrastinated and, it turns out, I didn't need to call anyway. I'm kind of happy, but I have been flying on RJ's since May of last year, so there are no upgrade possibilities, which are my biggest "pain point," to use consulting lingo. I like that I can board earlier (but I could have done this with Silver), I like that I get a priority baggage tag (but I could have done this with Silver, and it's not reliable - a non-elite group that was on standby for my flight today with a LOT of luggage got theirs before mine came out - ok, this is understandable because their luggage went on last, it's going to come out first), and I didn't even get a metal bagtag (my old one recently fell off its faux leather leash).

I did, however, get 4 coupons (though I left them at home this week, so I will be paying for chardonnay on the return flight).

As everyone else said, I also got the stick-on interior luggage tags.

That said, I didn't get caught in a hurricane, tsunami, earthquake, landslide, or Motel 6 this year, so I'm still reasonably happy .
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Duhey2
Did you get any CO Currency?
Nope. I thought that maybe we would receive two given the pattern of 6-4. But I guess that the real pattern is 6-4-0.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Nope. I thought that maybe we would receive two given the pattern of 6-4. But I guess that the real pattern is 6-4-0.
In this household the gold packet had four CO currency coupons and the silver packet had none.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:06 am

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Got my Silver packet today and the contents are not worth mentioning.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:22 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
My Infinite packet arrived yesterday, new card with Sky Team logo, sheet of four CO currency coupons (same as last year) the Infinite Elite 800 number doesn't change.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Anyone in the UK got theirs?

Have any of these 2005 packs been spotted in the UK yet? Flying MAN-EWR-BOS March 1st and wouldn't mind having a valid silver card for what it is worth. Why do they cut it so bloody fine? Other FFPs sent theirs out ages ago
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:18 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Have any of these 2005 packs been spotted in the UK yet? Flying MAN-EWR-BOS March 1st and wouldn't mind having a valid silver card for what it is worth. Why do they cut it so bloody fine? Other FFPs sent theirs out ages ago
They were probably searching for a "partner" to pick up the mailing expenses in exchange for piggy-backing "promotions" to the, as we know, all so affluent and exclusive Elite fraternity.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I think that you are suppose to put it on the inside of the bag.

Plats got 4 coupons as well.
I keep my sticky tags on the bottom of my laptop. Extra security.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:35 am

My credentials arrived. The mailing was not really needed, as the postage to get it to me (honestly) was the most valuable part.

Elite PC passes have proven worthless to me in the past, as they got cancelled without prior notice (I first saw the notice in the PC one month after the "new" November expiration date). I now use American Express Platinum to get in reliably without surprise expirations or embarassment (travel companions look a bit surprised when you are turned away from your "Elite" airline's lounge because of a coupon -- not a good way to entice new loyalty). After all, Elites usually beget other future Elites.

Better name and address stickers come in the mail free as incentives to donate money to charities. I am serious, check your junk mail and keep the free "dog" and "kitty" stickers that are pre-printed with your information. As a bonus to the most valuable and loyal CO customers, they are embarassing.

As a CO Elite at various levels for the past 6 or so years, I would think that the small thank-you gifts for my loyalty would be a bit more sincere. Or, I would at least expect that they wouldn't be given and then taken back (as was the case with the previous PC passes).

Last edited by nycnnj; Feb 25, 2005 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:44 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by nycnnj
...Or, I would at least expect that they wouldn't be given and then taken back (as was the case with the previous PC passes).
I think someone said that people were copying the PC passes without an expatriation date, hence the date in November.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:52 am

I understand CO's supposed reasons for implementing the new expiration date. It is just an awful business practice to give a gift (again, to the most loyal customers) and then take it back (actually, maybe "gift" isn't the best term as it became part of the package that CO determined I "earned" for my loyalty). If the program proved difficult to manage, it should have been revisited and another way of handling it should have been put into place. Really, the management of the program should not be the (loyal) customer's problem. It just is not a good business practice.

Last edited by nycnnj; Feb 25, 2005 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Still no elite packet in Israel
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
Still no elite packet in Israel
Your not missing anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.