Wiki Posts
Search

Does this sound worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Does this sound worthwhile?

As a 95% short domestic flight elite, I make gold on segments.
Because of the flight cost from LFT, I started flying from LCH late last year and I have a thought.....

Full fare from LCH to Dal/DFW is $398, Regular fares run my company $298. I take this flight about once a month.
If I paid the $100 per trip extra, I would get 8 points/segs per trip. I have other flights but I could basically make Plat with $800 to $1000 of my own money.

Is it worthwhile, or just stay at Gold?

My concern is as I don't fly long haul unless I go home to Scotland, so I don't earn much in the way of OP miles. Since so many of my flights are ERJ's and even at Plat, I'd still have to fork over $$$$$ and miles for BF when I go home or sit in the back....When I start thinking about it this way, I see very little value, for me, between silver,gold or plat.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by gman67
My concern is as I don't fly long haul unless I go home to Scotland, so I don't earn much in the way of OP miles. Since so many of my flights are ERJ's and even at Plat, I'd still have to fork over $$$$$ and miles for BF when I go home or sit in the back....When I start thinking about it this way, I see very little value, for me, between silver,gold or plat.
I think you have your mind made up. While others will have their own opinion, if your company pays enough for your tickets to make you Gold Elite, and you are content with your upgrade percentages, while bother paying an extra $800-$1000 out of your own pocket just to hit Platinum? I'd save my own cash if it was me. If you were flying transcons regular, I can understand the desire of wanting to be first in the upgrade pool, but as a longtime Gold Elite flyer myself, I've been content with my upgrade rate on CO. I don't see too much difference in value between Gold and Platinum when comparing Silver to Gold.

And if you really wanted Platinum, with all the crazy MR opportunities out there, perhaps you can even get the 25,000 EQM differential for cheaper than buying Y fares on your already company-paid tickets and net more miles in the process. Of course more time is required, but that is only for you to decide.

Like you mentioned, if many flights are on ERJs, well, then Platinum gives you no incentive over Gold. If you want to fly BF overseas in the future, yes, Platinum will net you more mileage, but you will still run into the HoKeY and $$$ policies.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:38 am
Suspended

Does what sound worthwhile?

oh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.