$75 Ticket Change Fee Now $100

Old Jan 21, 2001, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
$75 Ticket Change Fee Now $100

The change is effective on tkts issued on or after 1/20/01 - effectve for travel within the 50 states, also travel between the 50 states and: Central/South America, Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:13 am

Location: Austin, TX - AA ExPlat (1.4MM); Hyatt Plat; Hilton Dia; SPG Plat; National ExecElite, Hertz 5*
Wow - I had no idea this was coming! I continue to hypothesize that CO (and other airlines) make more money from change fees than they do from selling tickets. Talk about a margin booster - $75 (now $100!) just to have an agent spend 5 minutes on the phone placing you on another flight). What a racket....
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:43 am

The funny part about this is that you have to be Sherlock Holmes to find this info on CO's website.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 11:02 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
The fee is especially high when considering the cost savings the airline has realized from electronic tickets. Also interesting that like fares overall, CO is taking the lead in raisingn the change fee? All the more reason why we should be figuring out ways and strategies to get out of paying the fee, especially for elite members. I too would be interested in the revenue contribution of these fees, as opposed to airline fares in general.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 12:39 pm
Original Member

I trust that Captain Leo and his beancounters at DL will not follow suit in light of their current predicurements. (labor, Sky Miles etc)
Old Jan 21, 2001, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
$100 is outrageous considering some round trips only cost $150!
Old Jan 22, 2001, 12:53 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
What started out as a convenience has now become a line item. How come when they cancel and reroute us, they don't pay us a fee? Note to the company: arrogance is a dangerous thing.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 6:59 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally posted by leroy11:

I trust that Captain Leo and his beancounters at DL will not follow suit in light of their current predicurements. (labor, Sky Miles etc)
The way Leo is running things at DL, they will up the $75 fee to $150.

The CO increase is horrible. It will almost force me to book all of my domestic flights on SW. As it is now, I would fly half on CO for the upgrades, but I wind up changing about 1/2 my tickets and with the $75 fee, CO still beats the odds half the time. With $100, you will only see me on CO crossing the pond (still enough to make Plat on CO). What a let down!

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:16 am

Not only did they raise it to $100 but now the travel agent only gets $15 instead of $25. That now in fact is a $35 increase not a $25 one.

[This message has been edited by Sydneyjb (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 10:49 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Since CO "sponsors" nearly all the fare hikes/fuel surcharges it should come as no surprise that they are pushing this nonsense through as well. Complete arrogance.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jan 22, 2001, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Well, as someone who works in the travel industry myself, I am outraged to hear that not only has CO decided to screw their customers out of an additional $25, they have also asked the very people responsible for placing a significant percentage of their passengers on their planes to go without an additional $10 per ticket!

Changes to airline tickets are a confusing and time consuming process, and can take sometimes as much as three times the normal time to issue a normal revenue ticket. Forms must be filled out (sometimes by hand), old tickets accounted for, new tickets issued, and of course the seats booked on the new flights. Very few agents that work for me enjoy doing them, but one of the perks was that the comission on the exchange was sometimes much larger than their typical commission earned on a ticket. (Typical commission on a $300 ticket is $15, but the change fee brought a $25 commission on the penalty plus any additional commission on the new fare!)

This just continues to demonstrate that the airlines are increasingly cutting out the sales force that help establish their positions in the first place. *sigh*

The sad thing too is that we book about 30%-35% of our passengers on CO metal (and we aren't in a hub city). However, in our clients best interest, I am forced to urge our agents not to book our clients travelling on non-ref tickets on them if they have any doubt as to whether they will stay on their original itinerary.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.

RChavez
Old Jan 22, 2001, 10:57 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
(dup)

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old Jan 22, 2001, 10:58 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
just another reason to......

...well, you know.

<- <-
Old Jan 22, 2001, 12:07 pm

Looks like CO made the move just in time for "Independence Day."
Old Jan 22, 2001, 12:58 pm

What can you do about this?

Get your U.S. senator behind this bill that would appear to eliminate change fees: http://www.senate.gov/~reid/press/00/07/2000719B20.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.