Upgrades are a Joke

Old Nov 22, 00, 5:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Upgrades are a Joke

I called for an upgrade for my flight tonight. I was told that there is a seat in 1st but that I can not have it. I must ask at the airport. Then, I was told that the automatic upgrade seats were already taken. "Why wasn't I given one of them", I asked. The man said that CO was still trying to sell that seat and that they could not upgrade me to it. So much for the automatic upgrades and not having to call. I used to think that was a good idea and that it would be easier for us but now I know that it is just a big joke so that CO will have less phone calls to deal with.
Old Nov 22, 00, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
DIVER, there's no problem with the automatic upgrades. They did exactly what they were designed to do.

They automatically gave the CO agent an excuse as to why you didn't get the upgrade. "There were people in front of you who got them." Did the agent give you their names? The dates they booked the flight? When they were upgraded? Of course not. You just have to take their word.

The check is in the mail.
I love you.
This won't hurt.
Your flight is on-time.
There were elites ahead of you for upgrades.

Welcome to the latest addition to the world's greatest lies.
Old Nov 23, 00, 2:58 am

Diver - I had 2 cases like this since the EUA was introduced - seats in 1st were not released until the actual day of the flight and the EUA did not have anything to give because of this.
Solution - Follow ITN on the day of the flight. If there is a seat available in 1st on the day of flight it becomes upgradable automaticaly. 4-6 hours before the flight the agent will upgrade you on the phone. it worked for me twice !
Old Nov 23, 00, 2:58 am

[dup]

[This message has been edited by apirchik (edited 11-23-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 00, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Rif Raf (Defrocked 1K), CO Lead (Former Plat), QF Bronze
Originally posted by NJDavid:
DIVER, there's no problem with the automatic upgrades. They did exactly what they were designed to do.

They automatically gave the CO agent an excuse as to why you didn't get the upgrade. "There were people in front of you who got them." Did the agent give you their names? The dates they booked the flight? When they were upgraded? Of course not. You just have to take their word.

The check is in the mail.
I love you.
This won't hurt.
Your flight is on-time.
There were elites ahead of you for upgrades.

Welcome to the latest addition to the world's greatest lies.
David, you forgot one..."I'm from the govt., and I'm here to help you!"

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Silver (1200 miles from Gold), I was 6 for 6 prior to EUA, 0 for 2 post-EUA. But it's interesting to note how many Plats are also extremely upset with EUA.

It appears that EUA might be the biggest business bungle since "New Coke" and Frank Lorenzo's "Continental Lite"!

------------------
"An upgrade, an upgrade! My kingdom for an upgrade!"
Old Nov 23, 00, 6:56 am
Original Member

"biggest bungle since..." I am LAUGHING. C'mon. Yeah, it sunk NW, too (well, perhaps NW is already at the botton ). Sure, some negatives for some, but it wont be anything close to a debacle.

Only joke that I could see was with the old system. Be a platinum/gold.... call...call...no release of seats...guess...guess...work it...work it...(I'm getting tired)...oh, darn, the silver got to sit in First because the LATE release of seats occurred 10 minutes before the silver window. Platinum in the back. That was a joke. No longer a joke.

Some perspective for the "it ain't broke" folks. I can feel the heat, better run.

JL2

Old Nov 23, 00, 7:26 am

Originally posted by JeffLewis2:
"biggest bungle since..." I am LAUGHING. C'mon. Yeah, it sunk NW, too (well, perhaps NW is already at the botton ).

Yep, no argument there!!!

[b]Sure, some negatives for some, but it wont be anything close to a debacle.

Time will tell!!!

Only joke that I could see was with the old system. Be a platinum/gold.... call...call...no release of seats...guess...guess...work it...work it...(I'm getting tired)...oh, darn, the silver got to sit in First because the LATE release of seats occurred 10 minutes before the silver window. Platinum in the back. That was a joke. No longer a joke.

Some perspective for the "it ain't broke" folks. I can feel the heat, better run.

JL2

Yeah, but would you rather disenfranchise all Silvers? Tell them they've got no chance of an upgrade until they're Plat? Do you wanna tell that Silver that he has NO CHANCE of an upgrade? Do you seriously think he's gonna stick around to become a Gold or Plat???

------------------
Old Nov 23, 00, 7:46 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
JL2 (here we go again)

I have no problem if CO or any airline makes a loyalty program that better suits your needs. I also have no problem if you lobby CO to change their current program to better meet your needs. I have a VERY BIG problem with CO breaking their own (STILL POSTED http://www.onepass.com/eliteadvisory2000.htm ) rules of their loyalty program near the end of the year after I have already paid my money and took my flights for next year's qualification in good faith. And I have a HUGE problem wht them just imposing it immediately this year with no notice or warning, again contrary to their posted rules. From CO:

The Elite program is an extension of the OnePass frequent-flyer program. All OnePass terms and conditions apply unless otherwise stated herein. In the event of any inconsistency, the OnePass terms and conditions will control.

2000 OnePass Elite benefits are valid from March 1, 2000 through February 28, 2001, and are subject to change from year to year. Continental may change any aspect of the Elite program at the end of each year's program, with or without notice to active members, regardless of the miles flown in the previous year. Changes may include, but are not limited to, changes affecting mileage accrual, the ability to obtain upgrades, mileage bonuses and other historical benefits associated with the Elite program. The Elite program commencing March 1, 2001, may not necessarily include all the benefits contained herein.

Continental Airlines and all OnePass partners may change specific features of the OnePass program, including any Elite benefits, upon 60 days' notice to active members. Changes may include, but are not limited to, changes in partner affiliation, rules for earning mileage credit and mileage redemption levels.
So they broke their own rules, acted in bad faith, skewed the system to the highest volume payers (3000 platinums) not the highest users (25,000 golds), did so after loyal members spent a year obtaining benefits in good faith that were taken away, did so immediately instead of with 60 days notice or in March as the rules stipulate, refuse to answer questions about it, and worst of all, imposed a flawed plan that prevents seat-mates from sitting together as they arranged, allows Platinums who were just protecting themselves on an itinerary (with no intention to fly that route) to take all available upgrade seats, and has had multiple glaring "bugs".

As far as "it ain't broke" is concerned. It was a program that won multiple JD Power and Freddie awards for years in a row specifically because customers were satisfied.

We've seen this from marketing people before - try to tweek a good system to make it better, and destroy loyalty in the process. As SEMIELITE points out, New Coke and Contenintal Lite are good examples. Marketing people trying to justify their jobs as opposed to protecting the franchise for shareholders.

Guess how many offers I get a year as a Hilton Diamond to "take three or four flights" on a competing airline and get expedited elite status. Guess how many of them I threw out because I was satisfied that Continental respected my loyalty. Guess how many I'll throw out now.

I hope the 3000 or so Platinum flyers on Continental enjoy their ability to not have to call for upgrades, and are proud to have not spoken-up against this travesty of CO breaking it's own rules. I hope they intend to spend an awful lot of money on CO, as the mid-elite customer base flees to other altrernatives. I wonder if they will be able to keep an airline afloat.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 11-24-2000).]
Old Nov 23, 00, 9:06 am

Originally posted by NJDavid:
JL2 (here we go again)

Guess how many offers I get a year as a Hilton Diamond to "take three or four flights" on a competing airline and get expedited elite status. Guess how many of them I threw out because I was satisfied that Continental respected my loyalty. Guess how many I'll throw out now.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 11-23-2000).]
David, I think it's pretty common knowledge among frequent flyers that almost any airline will comp elites from any other airline at the same level for the first year.

For example, I'm CO Silver now, but only 1200 miles from Gold. Even if I plan to jump ship I'll get CO Gold Elite first. Why? Because, if I ask for a comp with UA right now all I would get is Premier. Another 1200 miles with CO and Gold, and UA will give me PremEx.

Although I really like CO, my fiancee has been pushing me to go with UA, since they fly directly to Sydney, and CO doesn't. And UA has a standard policy of comping elites to Premier and PremEx, although not PremEx 1K.

I can fly nonstop to SYD on UA for $900-1000. But my flight to CNS is $1230, plus another $300 on QF to SYD. True, the flight to CNS has been upgraded with 50K miles, but I'm sure I could do that on UA as well.

------------------
Old Nov 23, 00, 6:27 pm

NJDavid,

I read through that last post of yours and realized there was no payoff at the end. Let me help:

if_it_ain'[email protected] ie.com

Old Nov 24, 00, 10:59 am
Original Member

NJDavid:

No issue from me about the 60 day thing. Get 'em.

That OnePass was voted #1 someone entails that the upgrade system wasn't broke, it just plain poor reasoning. No entailment whatsoever. #1 means that programs have no problems? You would need this to be true. So since they're #1 no changes are necessary?

With respect to disenfanchisement of silvers: no, they are now silvers with correct priority; much of my implied case has been that many silvers were getting upgrades at the expense of gold/plats (the real joke); equitable redistribution is not disenfranchisement.

JL2

[This message has been edited by JeffLewis2 (edited 11-24-2000).]
Old Nov 24, 00, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Originally posted by JeffLewis2:

That OnePass was voted #1 someone entails that the upgrade system wasn't broke, it just plain poor reasoning. No entailment whatsoever. #1 means that programs have no problems? You would need this to be true. So since they're #1 no changes are necessary?

I understand your point. Perhaps it is a stretch to say that.

However, If we show the opposite (adding stuipd and flawed EUA causes disenfranchisement of Golds and Silvers - the airline's customer base - causing CO not to be rated #1 anymore) I think it will be the proof you require.

Which all leads back to :

WWW.DENYCONTINENTALTHEFREDDIE.COM

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 11-24-2000).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: