Wiki Posts
Search

??? NEW UPGRADE POLICY ???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2000, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
??? NEW UPGRADE POLICY ???

I'm flying EWR-ATL this Thurs 9/14 returning on Fri 9/15. As a Platinum, I 'dutifully (but sleepily) called in at about 12:04 am this morning--my 72 hr advance for outbound.
The CO agent was very efficient in getting me my favorite 1A seat, and ended the conversation by saying "I've also given you the same 1A seat for your return on Friday, is that ok?". Gee thanks was my reply, I guess I don't have to call in again Tues AM.
She then replied, thats right, you're all set! . Is this a new Platinum policy, or did I just get lucky!!
Old Sep 11, 2000, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Maybe you were on a Y fare and didnt know it?

I had the same thing happen about 2 months ago. The OP agent said, looks like you're on a Y fare, I can upgrade the return.
Fine with me

I know it wasn't a full fare ticket, it wasnt a bargain basement fare either. Maybe the computer somehow showed it as a Y fare.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 2:04 pm

Maybe Platinum+Silver=upgrades at 96 hours?

Old Sep 11, 2000, 2:12 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
I got lucky with a rookie agent that way once... I also know there is some discretion as once bought a ticket and had to wait on hold for ten minutes due to their computer being slow. The agent upgraded my return for having the patience to wait!
Old Sep 11, 2000, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Boomer- at $159 round trip (no Sat stay), there was no way it was a Y fare, I'd go more with KittyHawk in adding my Platinum + "newly acquired SILVER" in allowing me to upgrade 96 hours ahead!
Old Sep 11, 2000, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Boomer looks at the 2 2000 platinum cards Continental sent him this year.

let's see 72+72=144
Old Sep 11, 2000, 3:18 pm

I've had the same thing happen to me. Elite Desk upgraded me for my return flight, noting that there was only 1 other person in FC on the first segment, and 3 in the second.

Oh yes - and I'm a Silver, by the way.
------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

[This message has been edited by Jon Toner (edited 09-11-2000).]
Old Sep 11, 2000, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
I've lucked out too and been upgraded early by a generous agent. But, on a slightly different twist, I've twice called at midnight at the 72 hour threshold for my outbound only to be told I had already been upgraded. Already, without a request?? Are they testing an automated process ala UA and AA?
Old Sep 11, 2000, 7:32 pm

I was informed about a month ago by a CO Loyalty Programs representative that CO was working on the computer programs to do automatic upgrades. It would first be based on Elite Status and then when you bought your ticket. Meaning that the Platinum Elite who purchased his/her ticket the earliest would be the first to be automatically upgraded. The Silver Elite who purchased his/her ticket the latest would be the last to be automatically upgraded.

As long as I don't have to stay up to Midnight, I'll be happy!
Old Sep 11, 2000, 7:32 pm
mws

I would agree with the assessment that this situation was just one agent 'bending' the rules. I have that happen every so often. I'm not sure if the cabin is almost empty, if they just want to be nice, or if there is something else, but I've learned not to ask

I would also say I have agents 'stretch' the 3 day rule more often when I am calling back to see if revenue seats for the outbound have been released. I think they often feel guilty if we can't get the upgrade at all on the way out, so they bend the rules so we at least get the return.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 7:33 pm

mauld, I believe you got lucky!

Warremlm, HP also upgrades automatically and their system seems to work.
Old Sep 14, 2000, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Hey yall,

Slightly related "lucky" upgrade...

A couple of weeks ago I was booked ON NW DFW-MSP-SEA-HNL (on a "snooze-you-lose" fare of $400 RT so I didn't mind the routing ).

I called CO around mid-nite and gave the flight number of the first segment. She asked I I wanted windows or aisles. I said I preferred aisles. She "tip-taps" on her computer and says "ok, for the 1st segment, seat 3B", tippy-tap, "then 3C", tippity-tap, "and 2G". That 3rd seat would be the SEA-Honolulu leg which I didn't think qualfied for an elite upgrade.

I fully expected NW to deny the upgrade. But boy what a wonderfull trip it turned out to be

No such luck on the way home. That's ok, happy for what I did get !!!
Old Sep 15, 2000, 9:37 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I recently bought a transcon ticket about a week in advance in person. It was a nonrefundable ticket. After printing out the paper ticket, the agent said "let's get you uprgaded right now, so you don't have to worry about it later," and after pressing a few keys, she had all 4 segments upgraded. Most of the time though, they say you have to do it with in the three days. I've never had the telephone agents upgrade me earlier than 3 days. I will sometimes call in around say 10PM, so as not to have to stay up, and they usually say it is too early to call. I have also had airport agents put me in the A rather than more hard to get F seats. Again, some agents will do it, and others won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.