Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

One DL flight to keep it all in perspective...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One DL flight to keep it all in perspective...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:26 pm
pgalore

Gold CO OP to Plat DL SM

I switched from being CO Gold last year to DL Gold (and now am DL Plat - not one single flight on CO last year!)

I really don't notice any difference in the service, quality whatever.

I think the best airline all depends on where you live, where you travel to.

For me, EWR is way more of a hassle, and much (try 5 times) more expensive than flying on DL through ATL or CVG.

I flew through ATL and CVG all year, and only had 1-2 cancellations, minimal delays (one of them occuring three weeks ago).

FYI, DL gave all of us who got stuck in CVG overnight 10,000 miles automatically (no complaining required, it was just deposited into our accounts and an apology email was sent).

At least DL is trying to improve their SM program, which is more than I can say for NonePass!!

Last edited by pgalore; Jan 8, 2005 at 5:29 pm

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I don't get this part. DL and CO have the same partners, so if DL has availability, it's available to someone with CO mileage. They're essentially the same currency, with the exception of some of the partners (e.g., DL can redeem on Singapore, while CO can redeem on Qantas).
Granted I have not tried to redeem Continental miles since the Delta codeshare deals went through. I tried to redeem some Alaska Airlines miles on Continental just last week to no avail, so I am still tainted that Continental is ugly.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I don't get this part. DL and CO have the same partners, so if DL has availability, it's available to someone with CO mileage. They're essentially the same currency, with the exception of some of the partners (e.g., DL can redeem on Singapore, while CO can redeem on Qantas).
That isn't always the case. Nothing says a partner has to offer the other partners the same award inventory as their own members. Come to that, nothing says that an airline has to offer the same award inventory to all customers. DL for instance has often made award inventory available to its platinums that wasn't available to non-platinums
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Sirecca
If you're going to bash my hometown airline, at least get it right:

D-Doesn't
E-Even
L-Leave
T-The
A-Airport

With that kind of grammar, perhaps it's best if you stay put with your buddies on CO.

Driving
Every
Loyal
Traveler
Away
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
That isn't always the case. Nothing says a partner has to offer the other partners the same award inventory as their own members. Come to that, nothing says that an airline has to offer the same award inventory to all customers. DL for instance has often made award inventory available to its platinums that wasn't available to non-platinums
While you're absolutely right in a technical sense, in my experience, 99% of the time if a seat is available to an airline's general members, it's available to all partners. Of course, Elites often get preferred treatment on their "home" metal (DL, CO, NW, etc. all do this). There are other exceptions and nuances (e.g., QF members can book QF metal rewards about two weeks earlier than its partners).

But for the most part, if the seat is generally available, I've found it to be available to all partners.

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Granted I have not tried to redeem Continental miles since the Delta codeshare deals went through. I tried to redeem some Alaska Airlines miles on Continental just last week to no avail, so I am still tainted that Continental is ugly.
I've found AS to be a savior for rewards at times, especially when CO and NW are being stingy. I've booked NRT-PDX-OAK when NRT-SFO was unavailable, or found things like PDX-SFO-AMS when PDX-SEA-AMS was unavailable.

Alaska lets anybody check award availability at their website. The only disconnect I've ever run into with AS, is when AS released a new flight. It was available on AS's site, but CO didn't see it initially, thus couldn't book it for a couple days until it was visible in their system.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:17 am

Comparing bad to worse.

Yuck it up.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:11 am

Programs: CO Platinum, SPG Gold
Hey you princesses, stop the whining on Delta. Delta is not perfect - far from it. But I can offer the same stories about Continental and the mess at EWR and how Continetal lost my bag for 48 hours when I flew to Newark and all of that. At least on Delta I can redeem my mileage credits for something. Despite years of try I have never once been able to claim a mileage award on Continental, except for something once a few days before a flight. I have found employees at Continental in Houston to be downright rude and obnoxious.

My point is - nothing is perfect, and before ragging on Delta, make sure Continental's house is in order - because it is far from it.
You've got to be kidding me right? You are claiming that you were never able to redeem an award on Continental for several years....complete BS. I redeemed at least 4 flights and 3 upgrades last year, on top of the several automatic (free) upgrades. And I'm just an average joe, not a pro at this thing.

Your overall point is taken, but don't try to BS an answer to make a point. It takes away from your message.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:23 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yalie25

"ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Delta flight XXXX, at this time we'd like to begin boarding all medallion members and passengers in zones 1 and 2." (translation: everyone) So much for "priority boarding"!
Just a little FYI: Zones 1 and 2 are *only* medallion members.
Hey stick to CO - I don't need more of you taking upgrades seats on DL anyway.

Last edited by jfulcher; Jan 9, 2005 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:26 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
[QUOTE=bnrdad]
Originally Posted by climmy
Although CO may beat them hands-down in service, I'd rather have a better shot at a mediocre FC than stressing about battlefield upgrades right to the last second...It just isn't worth my trouble these days I think...[/QUOTE]

I just read in the WSJ today that with DL's new "SimpliFares" dramatically narrowing the price gap between F and Y, there will likely be more business flyers paying for F. They estimate that could leave 10-15% fewer seats available for upgrades on DL. They are trying to sell more F seats - granted at a highly discounted prices from previous F fares, at the expense of upgrading DL FF'ers.....you may be jumping from the frying pan and into the fire regarding the battlefield upgrade scenario in '05...
Actually in ATL they've been selling A fares for a while (airtran competition) and I had a 93% upgrade ratio last year as a GM. It won't effect things too much I think.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nycden
You've got to be kidding me right? You are claiming that you were never able to redeem an award on Continental for several years....complete BS. I redeemed at least 4 flights and 3 upgrades last year, on top of the several automatic (free) upgrades. And I'm just an average joe, not a pro at this thing.

Your overall point is taken, but don't try to BS an answer to make a point. It takes away from your message.
I am not kidding you pal. First, never suggested upgrades were a problem, just tickets to diserable destinations.

It is the TRUTH. I did redeem one once a day or so before a flight from PDX-Houston. Yes, they have offered me awards for flights to places I don't want to go.

Where do I want to go? For one place, I want to go from PDX to Halifax. In a 2 year period I have tried on this destination I have never been able to get one available routing. Continental has had the only one stoppers in the market. The others have to take three planes. Other destinations, PDX-STT/SJU, not one in three years.

Hey if I have earned all these miles, don't you think I can go somewhere other than PDX-Houston? Hey, I am flexible on times sometimes....I always ask WHEN can I go?

So stop with the attitude pal.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Where do I want to go? For one place, I want to go from PDX to Halifax. In a 2 year period I have tried on this destination I have never been able to get one available routing. Continental has had the only one stoppers in the market. The others have to take three planes. Other destinations, PDX-STT/SJU, not one in three years.
I believe NW started service to Halifax recently, so that may bring you some more options. But it seems that you're insisting on making only one connection. It would be much easier to get this reward if you were willing to make two connections. Otherwise, you'd need the only PDX-EWR that connects with a EWR-YHZ to both be available. If you could connect on your way to EWR, it would open things up much more.

So the miles are usable, though the flight options may not be optimal.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Million Miler
I have had award seats on CO to HNL, LGW and STT all in the past 2 years - the the HNL trip was for 4 seats! I have also used CO miles on NW to SEA twice.

Have I had to be flexible and not always got the seats on the exact days I wanted and my first choice of flights? Yes. But that's part of the deal.

I still have >300k miles at DL and they don't seem to be that much easier to redeem unless I want the "Anytime" ripoff awards.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:58 pm

I am not kidding you pal. First, never suggested upgrades were a problem, just tickets to diserable destinations.

It is the TRUTH. I did redeem one once a day or so before a flight from PDX-Houston. Yes, they have offered me awards for flights to places I don't want to go.

Hey if I have earned all these miles, don't you think I can go somewhere other than PDX-Houston? Hey, I am flexible on times sometimes....I always ask WHEN can I go?

So stop with the attitude pal.
Sorry guy, I just don't believe you. And that's certainly not the typical experience of FFs on CO. While at times having to be flexible, I have never had a problem getting a free ticket. Of course, I'm not flying from a small airport (Portland) to another small airport (Halifax) so perhaps I will give you that much. But nevertheless I just looked up reward travel from PDX to Halifax and with the exception of tomorrow (10th) and the 16th, there is a seat available everyday for the remainder of this month. There is also a seat available for the first two weeks in February. For the second two weeks in Feb., with the exception of about 5 days, everyday has a seat avilable. And that's just using the standard award, you can always use more miles and do an easy pass which would open up more days. So I wouldn't have had any problems getting a free ticket from PDX to YHZ.

So sorry guy, I'm calling BS on this one. Like I said, your message was well taken but you didn't need to resort to all that drama and BS.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nycden
There is also a seat available for the first two weeks in February. For the second two weeks in Feb., with the exception of about 5 days, everyday has a seat avilable. And that's just using the standard award, you can always use more miles and do an easy pass which would open up more days. So I wouldn't have had any problems getting a free ticket from PDX to YHZ.
LOL see now you have fallen into his trap.. He just wanted you to design his trip for him. Now you will not hear from him because he is off booking tickets.

As for redeeming rewards it is much easier to get rewards on Onepass if you are an elite member. I remember having to be very flexible and even then it took a long time to find availablity, prior to reaching elite. However I was with AA prior to NW and NW prior to CO and often had difficult times redeeming mileage from both of them as well. Is Delta availability really that great? Can you just give a call and specify a flight? I have not flown Delta much other than a few Internationals. (which I liked for the most part)
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:06 pm

LOL, I should have charged him a booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.