Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Best (any?) choice for free credit card to earn CO miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

Is there a credit card out there (without an annual fee) that provides 1 mile per dollar CO miles? Is Amtrak an option? Discover? I have Chase right now - has anyone been successful at refusing to pay the annual fee but still keeping the card?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:29 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
The MBNA Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card is free, and GR points can be transfered 1:1 to CO in blocks of 5,000, 25,000 maximum per calender year.
Be aware that Guest Rewards has been known to make changes without advance notice.

Funny, since I got the card in '01 I've never done a transfer to CO, but I've exchanged over 100K "valuable" NonePass® miles for a couple of land cruises and an Acela FC trip.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:37 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by snake
... for a couple of land cruises and an Acela FC trip.
Apologies for being dense, but what land cruises?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:02 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Originally Posted by lensman
Apologies for being dense, but what land cruises?
The Choo-choo don't fly or float.

From the Amtrak Guest Rewards website:
Deluxe bedroom includes sleeper accommodations for up to two people.
Sleeper rooms include dining car meals.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
So has anyone had success refusing to pay the annual fee for the Chase card?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: aa co
Yeah, sort of ...

I did several years ago (more than 5 years ago). I got tired of the annual fee and called to cancel. The rep said I was such a good customer and they didn't want to lose my business so she could waive the fee that year. My business was actually no big deal so I'm sure anyone could have done it.

Since joining FT 6 months ago, I have read about members who tried the same thing recently and the fee would not be waived.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Does Chase offer a no annual fee CO Onepass credit card that earns 1 mile for every $2 spent? I know that UA and AA have one (though not heavily promoted) and I know about the other roundabout options mentioned here to get CO miles. I am only interested in the Chase/Bank One CO issued card. Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:05 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Money Talk$

IIRC, there's a Chase Debit Card that gives you a 1:1 mile/$ ratio and has no annual fee. Catch? You bet! You have to be a Chase Select Customer which means you need $50,000 big ones in the coffers of Mr. Morgan.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by J.Edward
IIRC, there's a Chase Debit Card that gives you a 1:1 mile/$ ratio and has no annual fee. Catch? You bet! You have to be a Chase Select Customer which means you need $50,000 big ones in the coffers of Mr. Morgan.

There is an annual fee of $65.00, I refused to pay it, but I promised my Personal Banker @ Chase I'd keep a much higher balance...

-Vincent
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:09 am

Isn't (wasn't?) there some Chase "travel rewards" or some such credit card that allows points (in blocks of x-thousand) to be transferred to CO?
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by J.Edward

Select Banking starts minimum balances are 25,000 or 50,000 depending on what accts you link together.

-Vincent
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The SPG Amex is a good deal (only $30) and the points are transferrable to CO @ 1:1, or 1:1.25, which you can do when you know you can use them.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:04 am

My wife and I use the Key Bank KeyMiles Debit Card with our checking account. IIRC it is about $35 per year. Not free, but a good deal none the less considering we would use a debit card anyhow.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by vincom
There is an annual fee of $65.00, I refused to pay it, but I promised my Personal Banker @ Chase I'd keep a much higher balance...
Think of how many times the $65 fee you'd save or earn in interest if you used a bank without all the fees and low interest rates of Chase!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Think of how many times the $65 fee you'd save or earn in interest if you used a bank without all the fees and low interest rates of Chase!
I have some decent 2 YR CDs I got as well as agood money marke.
I dont have any problem with fees - they tried to charge me a fee actually I "voiced concern" and my personal banker my told me not to worry about it and the credit was on my acct the next day.

Chase has been pretty good to me - I just switched from Wachovia and Valley National Bank.

-Vincent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.