Wiki Posts
Search

Is it my imagination or...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2000, 8:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Is it my imagination or...

Over the last week I flew 10 Continental segments. I was wondering if it is just me or has anyone else noticed a downturn in FA quality on CO flights. I have flown with crews based in Newark, Los Angeles, and Houston and all of the flights were in FC. It seems FA's just do the minimum to get by. Many times they retreat to the galley after a quick service. I was on one exceptional flight in terms of service from EWR to ORD. The others were average at best. I just seems to me that past service on CO was more attentive, friendly and quality driven. Maybe my perception is affected by too many take offs and landings. Just wondered what the rest of you think.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 9:49 am

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
I have always thought CO attendants were extremely friendly and the best of the three I fly. Their Long Haul service seems to be very impressive and it takes a lot of patience to deal with some passengers so FA's sometimes get a little tired. Different crews have different personalities and on the flights I use CO for I couldn't have asked for better crews thus far. Hope u have better experiences in the future.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
rjwx2man: Funny you should mention that. I was thinking of posting the same message last week, but then thought, "naaah, it must just be me."

I've flown 12 segments (6 transcon) over the last three weeks and have received consistently mediocre service from the FA's on those segments. Exactly what you describe - do the minimum possible, then spend the rest of the time in the galleys. I've gotten warm nuts just once, on a CLE-LAX segment last Friday.

Like you said, maybe I've just been flying too much lately and am feeling jaded, but I've definitely noticed a difference, and not for he better.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:59 am

I've noticed better service on flights that are less than 80% full. It seems like the FA's spend so much time getting people seated and the bags stowed (for the on-time departure) on the full flights that they provide less service after the flights actually begin.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
I continue to see only the best in attitude and desire to help make the flight enjoyable. Both in Coach and F. I do not see any retreating to avoid serving. (Except when eating their meal on their lap.) I actually have had some FAs in F take the time at the close of the flight during descent to go through the cabin and say goodbye to each F pax, by pax name, with a comment that it has been a pleasure serving. And one of those experiences was on a 757 with a large F cabin!
Old Jun 12, 2000, 12:47 pm
Commander Catcop

Remember RJ Weatherman (another news person like myself! and everyone: there are no purrfect hotels or cars or beers or steaks or even airlines... SOrry CO fans.

Even on my favorite airline United I get Sour F-A's who chat all flight and F-A's who go out of their way to hold trivia games, announce birthdays and anniversary and, on a ORD-PHX flight singing F-A's.

Old Jun 12, 2000, 2:05 pm

Programs: No status anymore. Former CO PLT, NW PLT, AS MVP
I'm about to get on 157 (EWR-SFO dinner flight). I'll also be on 64 tomorrow (SFO-EWR...don't ask) and 127 Wednesday (EWR-SEA late dinner flight).

I'll let you know what I see. I can tell you that the last flight I had on 127 a few weeks ago was exemplary, so much so that I sent a complimentary letter to CO on behalf of the Flight Services Coordinator.

------------------
Michael
Old Jun 12, 2000, 5:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

dgolds: thanks for the reply at least I don't feel like the only one. To the rest of you, I have always thought CO's FA's were the best. I will chalk up this experience to the law of averages. I'll check out the flights I have coming up and hopefully issue a retraction.
Thanks everybody and happy flying.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 8:58 pm

I agree that on the international flights the service seems better than the norm, which I consider good to begin with. I was wondering if you noticed it more on short haul flights? Or a particular route?
My last experience was so good in fact I wrote to customer service to commend the FAs (it was AMS-EWR).

------------------
Earn money back for shopping online -- http://www.ebates.com/index.jhtml?referrer=keithnj973
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
CO 154 6/12: Indifferent FA's (come on, it won't break your face if you crack a smile), a single round of drink service offered after the meal was done (on a 6+ hour flight including delays), and cold nutz.

It's not bad service, just middle of the road, it just seems bad after having been spoiled by exceptional service on so many flights.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 12:27 am
Original Member

Oh yes, the cold nutz...rarely an anomaly with respect to the "warm nuts theory."

Shall we re-warm the previous discussion?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/000552.html
Old Jun 13, 2000, 8:28 am

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I would say that more often than not, the service I received has been great. I had an exceptional flight on 6/9 CO1244 IAH-BDL where the FC F/A (James) welcomed everyone aboard and took a moment to explain the comfort features of the seats right before takeoff. Then at the end he thanked everyone in FC for flying with them. I know I've been on another one of his flights as I remember his service.

I was ecstatic as I've been flying between IAH and BDL for 3 1/2 years (always 73's) and this was the first time I had a movie!
Old Jun 13, 2000, 10:27 am

BDL-IAH is a frequent route for me, and it has consistently had terrific FA service.

Never had a movie though. Maybe I'll get to enjoy it on my next flight.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jun 13, 2000, 2:51 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
How much difference do you observe in where the FAs are from: Houston-based vs. Cleveland vs. Newark? The majority of my CO flights are CLE and IAH (I think I've been through EWR 2 times this year) and had good service. EWR seems to have a "different" type of service... more business-like vs. Texas friendly.

I've been CO Gold for the past few years, FWIW.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:52 am

Viajero Joven:

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment in general. IAH-based crews seem to be the friendliest overall. Followed by CLE and EWR.

I wouldn't classify EWR crews as unfriendly though! Especially on flights to/from New England, they get the beverage service done quickest.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.