Y or H on COOL?

Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Y or H on COOL?

I've booked several flights from EWR to LAX on COOL and have checked the boxes indicating direct flights and no penalties. In this case I get issued Y fare tickets. When I did the same to Las Vegas I got issued an H (refundable but not immediately upgradeable). What gives? Anyone know how they figure out which fare class to give?

M
Old Jun 9, 2000, 9:50 am

I didn't think it mattered if it was "Y" or "H" (I know this in contrary to the Elite Guide). I've been upgraded right after ticket purchase on either of those fare codes. Maybe you'll have better luck calling back and getting a different elite agent.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
H is what you get when you buy an unrestricted ticket EWR-DCA and it is immediately upgradeable. For contrast, this was not true about 8-10 years ago (when a Y was required) but that definitely has been changed.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 7:51 am
Original Poster

According to the elite guide for platinum members

Full Coach Fares -- When traveling on a full Y...fare, you can upgrade any time prior to departure on flights operated by Continental Airlines.

Discount Fares -- When traveling on a fare other than full Y...you can upgrade within three calendar days prior to departure on flights operated by Continental Airlines...

So no H immediate upgrades (on any route, at least officially.). What I don't get is if you really want to buy a Y fare ticket how come COOL lets it happen in some cases and not others?

M

M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.