Wiki Posts
Search

ONEPASS Miles + MCI = Taxes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 1999, 9:08 am
Original Member
Original Poster

ONEPASS Miles + MCI = Taxes

I am sure everyone already knows this but just in case, the current charge you receive for the MCI bonus miles is as follows:

91.6 cents per thousand miles deposited in your account. You are also taxed on the tax in the Federal Excise Tax line.

Just FYI,

crju
Old Jul 14, 1999, 10:26 am
pgupta011

Think of all the good ways your tax dollars are being spent.

Old Jul 16, 1999, 7:19 am

If the tax money is earmarked for air transportation infrastructure, I don't really have a problem with it.

If the tax money is used for the Dry Cleaning of Intern's Dresses (undoubtedly a considerable budget item), then I have problem.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jul 16, 1999, 8:29 am
pgupta011

Then you should have a problem with the taxes on purchased tickets.

Old Jul 16, 1999, 9:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Hmmm, this is interesting. Because we know that the Federal Excise Tax on miles is 7.5%, since we know how much tax MCI pays for 1,000 miles, we can now figure out how much they pay for 1,000 miles!

$.916 divided by .075 = $12.21 per 1,000 miles! That's actually higher than I would have expected at 1.22 cents per mile.
Old Jul 16, 1999, 12:55 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Marketing, marketing, marketing. The costs are so high. I've read that it's now the fastest and most likely way to the top for executives in corporate America, reflecting its importance. We are now as much concerned about the box and its shape, size, color etc. as we are the product inside. As so we are concerned with FF miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.