FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Chase Platinum Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/37915-chase-platinum-visa.html)

wanderlust May 27, 1999 10:14 am

Chase Platinum Visa

Was offered this Chase/Continental card, but I don't want it if isn't a top-notch account.

Any reviews? Good, bad? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

------------------
g'day
wl

[This message has been edited by wanderlust (edited 05-27-99).]

Jon Toner May 27, 1999 12:58 pm

I signed up for the card.

First year annual fee is $25 (I believe it jumps to $65 next year). It has a low APR for the first 6 mos, then jumps to around 12%. Not a big issue for me, as I usually don't carry a balance.

They had a 6,000 mile bonus for signing up, plus a couple of President's club passes.

As far as the card itself, it offers a lot of similar travel benefits (rental car insurance, etc.)

It has the $1:1 mile, obviously.

First year, it's great. 6,000 miles for $25 alone is a good deal. The President's Club passes are also nice. The "extras" to the card are pretty standard - you can get them with most cards.

Bottom line for me, this is a great card. When the annual fee jumps to $65, you'd need to be making $2,600 in purchases to justify the miles (2.5 cents per mile is it?). Not a problem for many, but not all that great if you only charge $3K per year in purchases.

chalf May 27, 1999 5:04 pm

Is there a promo code for the reduced first-year annual fee? Also, if one gets the fee waived, does one still get the bonus miles? I seem to remember hearing that this was a trade-off.

Also, has Chase announced whether they are also increasing their foreign currency exchange fee from 1%?

Finally, how fast does the welcome pack arrive? I'm heading for some long layovers in EWR in the next few weeks and could put them to good use.

Thanks.

MileKing May 28, 1999 12:11 am

Could someone please post info on what # (and promo code) to call to get the special offer? Thanks!

wanderlust May 28, 1999 12:26 pm

MileKing - I don't have the flyer on me now, but if no one esle posts it for you by the time I get back Tuesday 6/1, I'll post it here.

------------------
g'day
wl

deelmakur May 28, 1999 5:19 pm

as you guys know, Chase bought the old Marine Midland accounts. we hadn't used the card for a while, so when my wife had to make a quick trip to Europe, they cut the card off, sending me a letter later saying they did it because of "unusual activity", and claimed they tried to call us (which I have no evidence of). Point is, if you have an account with Chase that they took over, be careful. they obviously didn't requalify anybody, and they have a hair trigger on credit approval. when I questioned them about it they said, "well, we started seeing charges from London and Paris". when I asked why that would be unusual with a card issued in conjunction with an airline that flies to those places they had no answer.

doc Jun 3, 1999 5:22 pm

I used to have one until I cancelled it last year. As was pointed out however, by deelmakur, it was Marine Midland Bank. I believe I was purchased by HSBC Holdings and then subsequently sold to Chase. It might be difficult to call it top-notch!

By the way, are you speaking of a credit or the new debit card account?

wanderlust Jun 3, 1999 9:28 pm

the credit card. i'm not remotely interested in the debit card, although it might work out very well for some.

------------------
aloha!
http://www.hotshirts.com

wanderlust Jun 4, 1999 11:41 pm

MileKing - sorry for the wait, here's the offer on the mailer:

Here's an easy way for new OnePass members to earn free flights faster.

It's the continental Airlines Platinum credit card from Chase. With it, you'll earn one OnePass miles for every dollar you spend. So you can fly free faster. And to start you off, 6,000 bonus miles will be automatically credited to your account. Putting you that much closer to your next free flight.

Call be 6/30/99, and upon approval, you'll receive two one-time Presidents Club passes - to be a guest at any of Continentals' 21 airport lounges. You'll also enjoy a low reate and a credit line of up to $100,000. Remember to have your OnePass account number handy.

Because the sooner you apply, the sooner youfly.

800-730-7904

No code, but there was a printed code above name/address, don't know if you'll need it - doubt it but here it is - GC42129

There ya go.

------------------
aloha!
www.hotshirts.com

[This message has been edited by wanderlust (edited 06-04-99).]

Tute84 Jun 5, 1999 12:31 pm

If you want even more free stuff when you apply, sign up at EWR in terminal C past security. They give you the ususal stuff plus a shirt, watch, and golf balls or something like that. It is in the section for gates 90+

ReneeMoss Jun 7, 1999 12:05 pm

Jon Toner - No one at Customer Service recognizes any promotion for a reduced ($25) first year annual fee for the Chase Platinum Card. The other perks are offerred - but the fee is $65 for Platinum. I have called the number you listed, and other numbers that Customer Service referred me to. No such offer on their computers. Please let us know if you actually get the reduced fee. Thanks.Renee

doc Jun 7, 1999 3:39 pm

Tute84- Are they "always" running that promotion at EWR? maybe I just didn't notice running to the President's Club in a crowd. Usually there a lots of people crowded around a table for "free stuff!"

traveltoomuch Jun 8, 1999 9:13 am

ALSO, you can get the FREE stuff if you sign up for the Chase Credit Card at Cleveland Airport.....Gate C3.

Tute84 Jun 8, 1999 9:59 am

Do you know where the sign is for "London Departures to Terminal B" is? It is right next to that. They have a big poster and there is a table next to it with a guy there. They have applications out all over the table.

pdhorak Jun 11, 1999 7:02 am

I just called Chase and they had no idea what I was talking about she said it could be offered in certain states, but she had no idea. If anyone can give additional info it would be greatly appreciated. For $25.00 it would be worth me to apply since the 6000 points be converted to HH from 5000 to 10000 which I can apply for the future trip to Hawaii.