Search

Continental/Alitalia smoking policies

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 1999, 5:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
Continental/Alitalia smoking policies

I am scheduled to fly a Continental/Alitalia codeshare in early June, Newark-Rome. I am concerned because I am a non-smoker and have serious allergy problems when confined to a "non-smoking" cabin; the smoke from the smoking section never seems to stay in its place.

It is my understanding that Alitalia still has smoking sections on its trans-Atlantic flights, and I am under the impression that the flights I am booked on are code-shares. When I called Continental to check, I was told that it's supposed to be a code-share, but that the government has not signed off on it yet, so Continental is still operating the flights with their crew and aircraft. But this same woman could not even pronounce Alitalia correctly, and further stated that today, ALL flights on ALL airlines are non-smoking, which is definitely not true.

I'm still wondering what the truth may be.

[This message has been edited by roti (edited 05-08-99).]
Old May 8, 1999, 6:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Flew it a couple of years ago, and there was no smoking. Essentially it is a Continental flite with an Alitalia number. In fact, the poor passengers who didn't speak english were completely befuddled, as most of the cabin staff did not speak Italian. If you are travelling to Italy, this flite is far superior to a regular Alitalia trip, with their indifferent crews.
Old May 8, 1999, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of the days I used to fly Milan-London on Italia. If I remember correctly, the smoking section was on the left side of the aisle, and the non-smoking section on the right sideof the aisle on a Dc-9.

Leave it to the inventive Italians to separate the warring parties.
Old May 9, 1999, 2:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
misternice....the old Eastern did that as well, domestically. it's not all that crazy. the way the old ventillation systems were set, the smoke drew backwards. you actually got more fumes sitting behind a smoker than across from one.
Old May 11, 1999, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
You'll be fine. The flight is operated by CO and they no longer allow smoking on any of their flights. I flew the trip 18 months ago and there was no smoking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.