Upgrades: Employee's vs. Elites?

Old Mar 10, 99, 12:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Upgrades: Employee's vs. Elites?

Does anyone know what Continental's policy about who gets upgraded first when clearing the standby list?

The reason I'm asking, is I didnt get upgraded on a recent EWR-HOU flight. It was a DC10 with a 48 seat business first cabin.

As it was a sunday afternoon, I knoe EWR-IAH on sunday afternoon is a tough upgrade.

They upgraded 8 people after we boarded, and I noticed at least 6 of them were Continental employees, either wearing ID cards or in uniform.

Does Continental have an offical policy on this?

Considering I've been upgraded on 17 of 18 segments this year, I'm not unhappy with the service, just curious.
Old Mar 10, 99, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Boomer, I have not seen or heard of a policy for employees' upgrades at CO. The other priority is Elite Status and wait-list time, unless a CO person moves one up on the list. I have seen this done before and a person at CO marketing admitted that she had done it for "friends". My personal experiences out of IAH has been that I rarely see a CO employee, even pilots, upgraded. But, keep in mind that almost all of my flights are not on DC-10's, etc. So, my experience is with 737's, MD-80's, DC-9's and 727's. All with 14 or less FC seats.
Old Mar 20, 99, 5:56 pm

Since EWR and IAH are both hubs for CO, I think that maybe the employees had to got to Houston for something for work at possibly the last minute... and were therefore upgraded to make the flight more enjoyable.
Old Mar 21, 99, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Don't know about the hubs, but at some stations there is monkey business with the upgrade list. I commute regularly from PBI in Florida, and there has been some controversy about this, although it does not involve employee travel. When you bring it up with the company, they don't want to discuss it. While you generally don't get very far with gate personnel with threats, one tack I take from time to time is to ask before boarding "I assume there are no non-revs on here?". This lets them know you are wise to the potential, and probably not somebody to fool with. It sounds petty, but frankly, there is a lot of "screwing around" that occurs with this stuff. Upgrades are not free. If you qualify, it means you have spent sufficient money with the company to get there. Airlines consider the perk as a marketing cost the pax has bought with past patronage.
Old Mar 21, 99, 7:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Deel:

The problem is when there is "monkey business". This is why I think there is
a need for airlines to publish their policy
on stuff like this.

Old Mar 21, 99, 9:38 pm
Commander Catcop

The flight EWR-BOS had a flight attendant in First... but first was not completely full.

I have no idea what the upgrade policies for the airlines are... but it might be worth knowing. (Then again, if we do know there may be many an angry flyer sitting in coach with airline employees in first!)

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 22, 99, 8:54 am
Original Member

I can tell you that the Catman post above has happened to me. I sent an email to CO and I have not seen a "non-rev"(employee) in FC since. I'm sure my email did nothing, but somehow the desired results were achieved.
Old Mar 22, 99, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Boomer....great idea to publish a policy. I am sure there is one. Problem is that the gate people circumvent it. All the marketing in the world won't help if it breaks down at the point of implementation
Old Mar 22, 99, 9:08 pm
Original Member

If you feel that a gate agent has boarded out of order (NRSA passengers ahead of revenue passengers), you should report it ASAP.
I know an agent who was caught, he is now working on the ramp!

Search this Thread