America West Takeover

Old Jan 21, 99, 12:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

America West Takeover

Rumors seem to be flying(no pun intended) around about a takeover of AWA. The stories seem to point to UA.

I wonder what the terms of Continental's deal with America West are in that regard.
Would Continental make a bid?

Losing America West from Onepass would seriously impact the program for many people.

Old Jan 21, 99, 12:05 pm
Original Member

I actually heard the same story this morning, but I thought it was American Airline that is taking over, not UA....then again, I was probably half asleep and only heard the news partially.
Old Jan 21, 99, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
There is more detailed discussion of this under The Buzz, but to sum up America West issued a news release last night saying they have had discussions with "a number" of airlines about acquisition and/or alliances.

Shortly after this America West announcement United announced they have discussed a possilbe acquistion of America West.

This does not count out American as a suitor, but it seems unlikely given their disappointing results released yesterday and that they just bought Reno and haven't even started the task of integrating them into AA.

Search this Thread