Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Continental offer 'Y-UP' fares?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Does Continental offer 'Y-UP' fares?

Does Continental offer 'Y-UP' fares? (ie. full-fare Y, but if purchased in advance, an automatic bump to F).

If so, how do you get a ticket at that fare? (I don't see anything about Y-UP on the CO website.)
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by dcarmich
Does Continental offer 'Y-UP' fares? (ie. full-fare Y, but if purchased in advance, an automatic bump to F).

If so, how do you get a ticket at that fare? (I don't see anything about Y-UP on the CO website.)
Yes, CO will upgrade a full "Y" fare if there is space in first. To book the fare you need to check the box that says "Full fare no restrictions" (or somesuch). The search selections will then list if they include an upgrade.

FWIW

DLM
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Look for this at CO.com

"U Denotes Complimentary OnePass Elite Full "Y" Fare"

MORE importantly check the FC fare. Often times for a few $ more you can get a confirmed F seat.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:46 am

I am not sure if CO offers "Y-UP" type fares for non-elites (a la NW's Y-Ups for anyone who purchases full Y, connecting thru certain airports). As an elite, one can be automatically upgraded on full Y if there is space avail, but I have never tried as a non-elite. I second this one: Definitely check restricted D or Z fares for FC first, they are quite often cheaper than full Y.

Robin
Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a big difference between Y-UP fares and the EliteAccess for a Day that entitles a Y-fare customer a free upgrade. The latter is space-available upon check-in, and as a non-elite, you'd be at the bottom of the priority list. The odds of the upgrade clearing, while highly dependent on route and day/time, are very very slim.
Y-UP fares provide a confirmed upgrade to FC at the time of booking.

I haven't seen Y-UP on CO in a while, but they could be in select markets where competitive forces dictate.

I second the prior advice -- always check the price of a "real" FC ticket. Sometimes D fares are only $50 more than Y, and refundable. Z fares (also FC) will often be meaningfully less than full Y, but they are usually restricted.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:04 pm

Another caution

I had (unknowingly) bought a Y-UP ticket on NWA. Long story: flight cancelled, reaccommodated to a coach seat. I was perplexed as I had bought a "first class" seat. No, I was told, I bought a Y-UP and they were under no obligation to put me back into first on the new flight as technically I had bought a coach ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dthernandez
I had (unknowingly) bought a Y-UP ticket on NWA. Long story: flight cancelled, reaccommodated to a coach seat. I was perplexed as I had bought a "first class" seat. No, I was told, I bought a Y-UP and they were under no obligation to put me back into first on the new flight as technically I had bought a coach ticket.
Yep -- as far as I know this is the only drawback to a Y-UP fare vs. a full A fare (or F on some airlines).
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:59 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
There is a big difference between Y-UP fares and the EliteAccess for a Day that entitles a Y-fare customer a free upgrade. The latter is space-available upon check-in, and as a non-elite, you'd be at the bottom of the priority list. The odds of the upgrade clearing, while highly dependent on route and day/time, are very very slim.
Y-UP fares provide a confirmed upgrade to FC at the time of booking.

I haven't seen Y-UP on CO in a while, but they could be in select markets where competitive forces dictate
I used to fly EWR-ATL-EWR weekly for about 6 months last year and used to get Y-UPs at least 3 out of 4 weeks for both flights. The price was actually less than a full/regular Y as I got something called a Y26UP (I believe). Not sure how they are moer restricted than a regular Y but I guess they were due to lower price.
Old May 7, 2006, 5:48 pm
yup

How do you get Y-up or Q-up or Z fares?
Old May 7, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
How do you get Y-up or Q-up or Z fares?

At Co.com, go to the advanced booking screen, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and put in at the bottom the fare that you are looking for. If it exists, the search engine will give you the fare for that code. The site also lets you choose unrestricted fares (Y). I have found that to get Z fares, you check first class fares at the top of the screen (again in the advanced search screen) but that you also need to check "least expensive fare" at the bottom of the screen. If Z fares exist, this will bring them out.

BTW, welcome to FT
Old May 8, 2006, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Look for this at CO.com

"U Denotes Complimentary OnePass Elite Full "Y" Fare"

MORE importantly check the FC fare. Often times for a few $ more you can get a confirmed F seat.
Sometimes a few LESS $'s.
Old May 8, 2006, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Sometimes a few LESS $'s.
I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen much anymore. Yes, there are published Z fares that are lower than the published Y fares (e.g., EWR-DEN, EWR-LAX), but in such a case, there is a fully refundable H fare available which is lower than the Z fare. The only instance that would require someone to purchase the more expensive Y fare is if yield management put the flight at something like Y3 H0 K0, and I've never seen that situation (recently) when there was also Z inventory available. I suppose it's possible, but I have to assume CO fixed its YM procedures to prevent this.
Old May 8, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
What the non-Elites gets on their boading pass when they book under
"U Denotes Complimentary OnePass Elite Full "Y" Fare" is the teaser "Added to First Class standby list"
Old May 8, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
I've had several occassions where only Y has been available on a route and at a moderate price. The upgrade happens at the time of ticketing. I'm going from IAH to MCO on Saturday on a $400 fare that is Y and got put in first right away. I've also had it happen on IAH to LAX on fares around $400. These are all booked three to four weeks out.
Old May 8, 2006, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmkorten
I've had several occassions where only Y has been available on a route and at a moderate price. The upgrade happens at the time of ticketing. I'm going from IAH to MCO on Saturday on a $400 fare that is Y and got put in first right away. I've also had it happen on IAH to LAX on fares around $400. These are all booked three to four weeks out.
Yes, but this is only for elites.

In my experience, it's frequently worth checking the price differential to buy up to a real first class ticket from a Y fare. Sometimes it's as low as $20 o/w (e.g., EWR-FLL) or $50 (EWR-LAS). For that modest extra fee, you get 1) 50% bonus miles -- ~500 miles for $20 is a good deal on the FLL example, and ~1100 for $50 to LAS isn't bad either, and 2) in case of irregular operations (flight cancellations, equip changes), you have a much better chance of remaining in First class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.