Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Access - what's working, what's not.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:20 pm
Zip
Original Poster

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Elite Access - what's working, what's not.

My own experiences, of course.

Not working: the special "elite/FC" security lines in CLE and SEA. In Cleveland, as I get to the first ticket-checker, I lately have been diverted from the FC line to other, longer lines (I'm Platinum). No explanation. Last time I did ask why I was being moved to the "regular" lines, and she responded in a loud voice "YOU DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO DO." Don't have this problem elsewhere.
In Seattle, travel in evening. The "Elite" access line is always closed, even though it simply leads to the head of the line by the first ticket-checker. Asked agent why, and she said they found the lines move much quicker if they do it this way. What? Lines move faster by eliminating the elite access lines??? So why have them anywhere??

Working: Baggage claim. I've complained about this for a long time. But lately, when I have had to check luggage, they actually have been among the first out! What a nice experience, finally!

Again, my own experiences. Do they match or differ from others??
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:27 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
My bag is usually burped onto the belt halfway, or worse, through the entire load. Recently, it actually came out dead last, despite the large elite tag.

Since I fly 100% internationally, elite does nothing for me, other than the extra miles I'll never get to use.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:32 pm

No Elite lines in EWR Terminal A and ORD. A major CO hub with no elite line great.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Cleveland Be otch

I used to fly to CLE all the time. There was only chubby lady who would always yell at you for trying the elite line.

When she's not there it seems to be ok.

My other complaint is that a lot of time the "Faster" elite line is actually much slower.

J
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:53 pm

When I'm boarding late, I like the Blue Carpet Lane- always nice to walk past a winding line of folks & pop right up to the front.

The SEA elite security lane is a questionable benefit at the best. There have been a few times when I've found the entrance, walked up the front of the lane, and found it closed off with tensa-barrier drawn across. The first time, I tried ducking under it- which would have brought me into the regular security lane well into the twists & turns but behind the 15 or so people waiting in it. The closest TSA guy flipped out at me, made me exit that lane, walk to the regular beginning, and wind my way back through. ...? It wasn't as if I was missing the boarding pass/id check, they were doing that at the end of the line right before the xrays.

Seems as if they wanted the elite line closed, they could have put the tensa barrier across at the START of that lane...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've actually had pretty good luck with the Elite Line in the one or two flights I take out of IAH each month. And much faster than the regular line in BOG.

Woudn't know about luggage, only travel with carryon.

EmailKid
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:26 pm

I think the Elite Access gate lane is great. I've never had a problem anywhere with that.

Elite Access security is also great, where it exists. LGA lacks one too.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:44 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I like EliteAccess perks and most of them work well for me, especially the security lane. I also agree that the EliteAccess boarding lane is nice when you get to the gate after general boarding starts (though I did get heckled by the non-elite I cut in front of once!).

What has gotten very sloppy lately is the pre-boarding process. It seems that almost everyone gets up to board when they call first class/elites. Maybe it's time to segregate it further (first class boards first, then by elite tier, then general boarding).
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by agflyer
I like EliteAccess perks and most of them work well for me, especially the security lane. I also agree that the EliteAccess boarding lane is nice when you get to the gate after general boarding starts (though I did get heckled by the non-elite I cut in front of once!).

What has gotten very sloppy lately is the pre-boarding process. It seems that almost everyone gets up to board when they call first class/elites. Maybe it's time to segregate it further (first class boards first, then by elite tier, then general boarding).
I agree on both counts. It is funny to see what happens wheb the GA reaches for the microphone (and I am guilty as well - I just want to stow my bags and get out of the way of the rookie travellers carrying their steamer trunks on board). The rest of the EliteAccess seems fine to me - the blue carpets are hokie but it allows me enough extra time to grab a bagel and a paper at the PC on my way out to the back 40, I mean the upper 20s in the C concourse.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I also agree that the EliteAccess boarding lane is nice when you get to the gate after general boarding starts (though I did get heckled by the non-elite I cut in front of once!).
I had this happen, too. I ended up talking with the guy briefly while waiting on the jetway for a 757 flight. He said something like, "Onepass elite, what's that?" I responded politely. The conversation ended at the cabin door. I turned left toward leather while he turned right, toward cloth
Lately I've noticed they do call F first and then EA folks. I've taken only transcons the last few trips, though -- and they are loaded with elites so this may not be SOP for the rest of CO flights.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:50 pm

I did get heckled by the non-elite I cut in front of once!).

A couple weeks ago I jumped in front of a huge boarding line on a packed 738 to LA. Not only did I get heckled by a handful of people in line, but the comments continued as they passed me in Row 1!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sailanacra
There was only chubby lady who would always yell at you for trying the elite line.
huh?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs down Elite Access Boarding = Big Mess

All airports / agents seem to be doing their own boarding announcements/process --there's definitely no consistency. Even at EWR and IAH, it's been my experience that the Elite Access carpets are rarely used --in most cases, all boarding is done over the blue carpet and there isn't enough gap between 1st class / Elite Access / Coach boarding calls to make the process work.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:27 pm

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
All airports / agents seem to be doing their own boarding announcements/process --there's definitely no consistency. Even at EWR and IAH, it's been my experience that the Elite Access carpets are rarely used --in most cases, all boarding is done over the blue carpet and there isn't enough gap between 1st class / Elite Access / Coach boarding calls to make the process work.
I agree. I've had experiences where I was told that the elite access line was not the appropriate line, and to please go to the back of the regular line.

Likewise, I have been in the elite access line when all other elites were in the regular line, and I have had my boarding pass taken first. Why wouldn't they just stick to procedure?
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Today the GA in Philly announced that there was no Elite Access boarding on the way into an ERJ to Cleveland.

Customer service buddy, kiss the ... that feeds you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.