Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Considering PClub Membership - but what about WorldClubs instead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering PClub Membership - but what about WorldClubs instead?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Question Considering PClub Membership - but what about WorldClubs instead?

I've been doing enough travelling lately on non-BF fares that I'm thinking about buying club membership. I'll reach OP Gold by end of Sept, so the Prez Club membership will be discounted even more. But in looking at the list of club locations, there really aren't very many available, especially internationally. I also noticed that the NW Worldclubs locations seem to be many more and better affiliations around the globe. This brings me to three main questions:

1. Does the PClub membership get you into ALL NW Worldclubs worldwide and vice-versa?

2. Would it be better to buy a Worldclubs membership and use it for the CO PrezClubs?

3. Will NW honor my CO Elite status and give me a discount on a Worldclubs membership?

I fly 4-5 international trips per year; the most likely places I'll want clubs are MAN, CDG, FRA, GRU, GDL, SIN, PVG. Domestically, I'm in MSP, MCI, and EWR most often; my home airport is IND.

Advice?
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Boofer
I've been doing enough travelling lately on non-BF fares that I'm thinking about buying club membership. I'll reach OP Gold by end of Sept, so the Prez Club membership will be discounted even more. But in looking at the list of club locations, there really aren't very many available, especially internationally. I also noticed that the NW Worldclubs locations seem to be many more and better affiliations around the globe. This brings me to three main questions:

1. Does the PClub membership get you into ALL NW Worldclubs worldwide and vice-versa?

2. Would it be better to buy a Worldclubs membership and use it for the CO PrezClubs?

3. Will NW honor my CO Elite status and give me a discount on a Worldclubs membership?

I fly 4-5 international trips per year; the most likely places I'll want clubs are MAN, CDG, FRA, GRU, GDL, SIN, PVG. Domestically, I'm in MSP, MCI, and EWR most often; my home airport is IND.

Advice?
PC and WC memberships are accepted at all locations with the CO and NW network (some share locations) as well as at Delta Crown Rooms when you have a Delta ticket. The Gold Discount applies only to the President's Club Membership.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
NW Worldclubs membership will currently get you into the America West clubs in PHX and LAS.

SunLover
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Need to ask yourself which affiliate clubs you will be using. Just because a PC membership gets you into a club does not mean it will get you into a WorldClub affiliated club. ie I goto Vegas frequently, the PC card won't get you into the America West club, but a WC card will. If the clubs you need are available with PC I'd go with the PC card since you get the discount. WC won't honor your CO status just as PC won't honor a NW status.

flyerco
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Consider Amex Plat

Depending on how you plan to use the clubs, Amex Platinum may be a good option. It's good for all CO, NW and DL lounges, *but* you have to be flying on a same day ticket on the airline whose lounge you're using. For me, the lounge access justifies the otherwise ludicrous $450 annual fee for the Plat Card.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
American Express Plat card will not get you into international affiliated clubs.

Most CO affiliated clubs now no longer allow you to bring in a guest and you can not trust the accuracy of the affiliated listing on the CO web site. GIG for example no longer allows Pres Club members - but the listing has not been updated. I do not think the NW WC membership has the no guest policy for affiliated clubs.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
PRIORITY PASS.

There's a 20% discount code in a thread somewhere on this board.

Seriously - I did not know how GREAT this Priority Pass thing was until I picked it up a couple weeks ago. You get ALL NW, ALL CO, ALL AW, and some uniteds, some deltas, and a PILE of obscure airports with lounges serviced by Globe Ground and some other companies. For example, I was just in Malaga, and I hit that lounge HARD. A President's Club pass wouldn't get you in there.

After the discount, you'd pay $320 on the Priority Pass. For CO, you'd pay $250 (if you're platinum) plus a $50 initiation fee. Oh, and the CO club runs Jan 1 to Jan 1. That means if you were to join September 1, you'd pay $300, and only get four months.

I have a President's Club membership AND the Priority Pass. I will NOT be renewing the CO. My Priority Pass is good until August of next year. As long as they are kicking butt, I will stay with them.

OH, and I was in your boat myself in December last year - I went through ALL the same thoughts you are going through. I tried to calculate the most likely travel situations to determine which is the best solution. I then decided on NW because it included Vegas and Phoenix. I tried to get them to give me the Platinum price on the membership and they refused. I had to go through the process of matching status etc. I opted not to deal with it. If only I knew about the Priority Pass then it wouldn't have even been an issue.

The only downside to PP membership that I know of is that you do NOT get free guests. You have to pay $24 per guest per visit. That kind of sucks but it's worth the tradeoff if you look at the amazing list of lounges that you get that you don't get with CO.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Smile Wow. Thanks for that reply!

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
PRIORITY PASS.

There's a 20% discount code in a thread somewhere on this board.

Seriously - I did not know how GREAT this Priority Pass thing was until I picked it up a couple weeks ago. You get ALL NW, ALL CO, ALL AW, and some uniteds, some deltas, and a PILE of obscure airports with lounges serviced by Globe Ground and some other companies. For example, I was just in Malaga, and I hit that lounge HARD. A President's Club pass wouldn't get you in there.

After the discount, you'd pay $320 on the Priority Pass. For CO, you'd pay $250 (if you're platinum) plus a $50 initiation fee. Oh, and the CO club runs Jan 1 to Jan 1. That means if you were to join September 1, you'd pay $300, and only get four months.

I have a President's Club membership AND the Priority Pass. I will NOT be renewing the CO. My Priority Pass is good until August of next year. As long as they are kicking butt, I will stay with them.

OH, and I was in your boat myself in December last year - I went through ALL the same thoughts you are going through. I tried to calculate the most likely travel situations to determine which is the best solution. I then decided on NW because it included Vegas and Phoenix. I tried to get them to give me the Platinum price on the membership and they refused. I had to go through the process of matching status etc. I opted not to deal with it. If only I knew about the Priority Pass then it wouldn't have even been an issue.

The only downside to PP membership that I know of is that you do NOT get free guests. You have to pay $24 per guest per visit. That kind of sucks but it's worth the tradeoff if you look at the amazing list of lounges that you get that you don't get with CO.
I have heard about this Priority Pass thing since I began reading the FT boards (been a lurker for a while, joined up today). I heard the UK posters say you get free Priority Pass with AMEX Platinum there; alas, you don't get that here. But in any case, I'm looking into that and going to consider it. For now, I'm leaning toward NW Worldclubs even though it will cost me a bit more. Great post though - thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:13 pm

Oh, and the CO club runs Jan 1 to Jan 1. That means if you were to join September 1, you'd pay $300, and only get four months.
That's actually wrong. I got a PC membership in June, and my PC card says it's valid until 07/2005. It runs 12 months after you join.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Originally Posted by wck4
That's actually wrong. I got a PC membership in June, and my PC card says it's valid until 07/2005. It runs 12 months after you join.
That must be new. Sorry for running on old info...

Anyway - do what you want - if you have your heart set on an NW club then get it - NW has GREAT clubs - except there's no internet... Continental has free wireless, and the BEST bloody mary's I have ever had.

But a Priority Pass may be cheaper depending, and it gives you everything NW's club does except free guests, and you get a TON more lounges and you don't need to be flying any particular airline to get into the lounge.

*I* do know that I am paying for both CO and PP and I will not be renewing the CO since the PP is a SIGNIFICANTLY better deal. And if you go outside the US to anywhere out of the direct service area of NW or CO you're burned. This means ANYWHERE in Europe except Amsterdam and Gatwick, and you may have to be flying on NW or KLM that day to get into AMS. With the Priority Pass you don't use the KLM lounge at AMS - you get your choice of a few others next door to the KLM lounge.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cova
Most CO affiliated clubs now no longer allow you to bring in a guest
how silly?

okay, honey, i am going to run in and have a drink. you can wait here on this nice bench. read a newspaper, why don't ya?

Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
But a Priority Pass may be cheaper depending, and it gives you everything NW's club does except free guests, and you get a TON more lounges and you don't need to be flying any particular airline to get into the lounge.

*I* do know that I am paying for both CO and PP and I will not be renewing the CO since the PP is a SIGNIFICANTLY better deal.
Have you ever had any trouble getting into a club with the PP? I was seriously thinking about a PC, but this PP seems a lot better, especially because I can go to a PC or any other club regardless of which airline I'm flying (Or did I get that wrong?)

I guess my only concern is an employee of one of these clubs not recognizing a PP and refusing entry...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:35 pm

I just got the card within the past month, and have started pounding it already. I have not heard of this problem - and even at CO lounges I ask about the PP. They all know it.

The only reason I found out about it is when I had a problem with the lounge lady not recognizing Continental's card.

So far it's been great!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Also (this should be my last question... ), can you go to ANY club regardless of the airline you're flying? For instance, if I'm flying US Airways, can I go to a Continental PC or a Delta Crown?
Thanks...
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Decision: I went with the Priority Pass

Thanks everybody for the comments. After much analysis and scenario testing (because that's just who I am ), I decided to get the Priority Pass and joined up today. Should make for much more comfortable travels. This month alone, I go IND-MSP-IND, IND-CVG-ROA-CVG-IND, IND-DTW-SWF-DTW-IND, IND-EWR-CDG-EWR-CDG, IND-EWR-IND, and IND-IAH-SAN-EWR-IND. I'm a little concerned about the PP in Paris, only because the PP club location is in the opposite terminal at CDG. Trying to get the employer to pay Biz fare, though, so I'll just use the lounge CO sends me to there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.