Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to BF on short notice

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Upgrades to BF on short notice

A situation has come up and I have a quick question.

I may have to fly to the UK tomorrow. I know it'll be full fare Y. If you ask for mileage upgrade and are buying the ticket the day of the flight, can you UG or does the 3 day rule apply?
Old May 14, 2004, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
You can upgrade but be sure to check for saver awards. I often find them days before the flight. You might be able to find a saver for the BF RT.
Old May 14, 2004, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
You can upgrade but be sure to check for saver awards. I often find them days before the flight. You might be able to find a saver for the BF RT.
Unless his employer is paying for the trip and he wants the EQMs/miles for the trip.
Old May 14, 2004, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Is it a fact that One-way Full Economy Fare Upgrades are exempt from the 72-hour rule?
Old May 14, 2004, 5:23 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Did you try calling?

I don't see any evidence of the '3-day rule' on co.com, regardless of fare. Can anyone point me to the specifics?
Old May 14, 2004, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by gman67
A situation has come up and I have a quick question.

I may have to fly to the UK tomorrow. I know it'll be full fare Y. If you ask for mileage upgrade and are buying the ticket the day of the flight, can you UG or does the 3 day rule apply?
Why do you assume this will this be Full Y? You have a Saturday stay in here.

MSY-LON on CO Coach is $545 departing tomorrow, returning mid next week (5/19).

MSY-LON on NW in Biz is $2,600, same dates.
Old May 14, 2004, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
Did you try calling?

I don't see any evidence of the '3-day rule' on co.com, regardless of fare. Can anyone point me to the specifics?
CO.com should point you to the specifics-- but then they do like to keep their little secrets...
Old May 14, 2004, 6:36 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
CO.com should point you to the specifics-- but then they do like to keep their little secrets...
I guess my point is that lack of information on co.com might lead me to believe that the 3-day rule is no longer a rule. Anyone been held to it recently?
Old May 14, 2004, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Why do you assume this will this be Full Y? You have a Saturday stay in here.

MSY-LON on CO Coach is $545 departing tomorrow, returning mid next week (5/19).

MSY-LON on NW in Biz is $2,600, same dates.
Good point, but would be going to ABZ, currently showing Y at about $3000+

I only asked because I've seen threads about the 72 hour thing and like others could not find anything on co.com.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard any mention of it since the miles and money BS started.
Old May 14, 2004, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
"Whenever you attempt to upgrade any HNL/OGG bound flights with miles, it must be done 72 hours prior to departure."

If I had a penny for everytime I heard that line......

aloha
Old May 14, 2004, 9:51 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
The 72hr advance rule for using miles to upgrade to BF DOES apply. I've been read the rule by the CSR on the phone 3 times in the past 2 mths.

There does not appear to be an exception for fare class, in my experience.

If CO got rid of the 72hr rule, how else would they be able to invite all of the non-rev friends of employees in time to fill all the BF seats???

.... sure wishing all my miles and elite status were in WorldPerks instead.
Old May 16, 2004, 12:32 pm

2 times in the past year I've been on flights were my ticket was purchased less than 48 hours before the flight, coach was overbooked, BF had 3-4 revenue seats open and of course the waitlist for upgrades was already closed under the 72 hour rule. On these 2 occasions I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. I tried to explain to the super how they would op-upgrade me at the gate because I am a Plat on a high fare (H) but I want to secure it with miles to release me from worrying about it at the airport. In these 2 times I was rejected by the super convising me they WILL sell these revenue tickets and I will not get the upgrade even at the airport.

Both times I got the op-upgrade ...
Old May 16, 2004, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Should be another item for cigarman's "list."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.