Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel What are my rights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Award Travel What are my rights

So here is the story, Had a award travel ticket issued by united with milage plus but on copa metal (all of it) the original routing was

27 Dec
MTY/PTY
PTY/SJU

6 Jan
SJU/PTY
PTY/MTY

and since copa eliminated the flight on the 27th MTY/PTY they ended up changing our flights to this

26 Dec
MTY/PTY
27 Dec
PTY/SJU

6 Jan
SJU/PTY 12:54 p.m. / 2:44 p.m.
PTY/MTY 9:42 a.m. / 1:13 p.m.

So as of now i have to split my flight into san juan in two days and my flight back does not work due to the departing times.

Called United and they said that there is nothing available in the milage we bought the tickets with and that they wont protect us since its not under there metal even if its a 0016 ticket (united)

what are my right or what should i expect/demand them to do?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
It's an award ticket, you really have the right to cancel it and rebook it if mileage seats become available. Arguing with them will not get you what you want. Call back and nicely ask if they can help you get on the flights you want.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

so im not protected,meaning they can cancel and move my reservation around 4 months before the the trip when tickets are more than double the price when I bought my award travel?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, National Executive, SPG Platinum
Yes. That's exactly right.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you actually want? Are there same day flights still on Copa or United metal that get you where you want to be on the days you want to travel?

Copa is part of the MileagePlus program so they should be able to make some calls about opening up additional inventory or forcing inventory on UA metal via IAH.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

there are alot of flight on united metal via IAH and EWR that get me to SJU on the 27 but copa does not want to put me on them, they say they will only do the 26th or 28th on copa metal
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
You are months late to be doing this for the Caribbean for Christmas, frankly. Be happy with what you can get.

FWIW, I booked tickets to SJU over Xmas in February, and the cheapest fare we could get on one half of our trip was F and Y.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by deirdre
You are months late to be doing this for the Caribbean for Christmas, frankly. Be happy with what you can get.

FWIW, I booked tickets to SJU over Xmas in February, and the cheapest fare we could get on one half of our trip was F and Y.
Maybe your post should be directed toward COPA rather than the OP. They're the ones who eliminated a flight that was ticketed.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Flyr89
there are alot of flight on united metal via IAH and EWR that get me to SJU on the 27 but copa does not want to put me on them, they say they will only do the 26th or 28th on copa metal
Why are you talking to CM? UA issued the ticket, talk to them. And don't whine about your conversations with CM, simply say that your flights were cancelled, CM no longer provides service, and you need to be re-booked on UA service.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Why are you talking to CM? UA issued the ticket, talk to them. And don't whine about your conversations with CM, simply say that your flights were cancelled, CM no longer provides service, and you need to be re-booked on UA service.
Bingo, thats assuming UA has availability on the dates the OP wants, but it is a UA problem and not a Copa problem since its not a Copa tkt
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
at a minimum, if there is no award availability on UA metal, beleive you can waitlist for availablity (only UA metal). award space at that time period is tight but there is a chance it will open up -- especially if you are looking for 1 or 2 seats and not more.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by sushibear
Maybe your post should be directed toward COPA rather than the OP. They're the ones who eliminated a flight that was ticketed.
True, COPA eliminated the flight, but there are limits to what can be done this late in the game. The easiest way would be to re-route on UA metal if there's any space available (and possibly have a supervisor open up space).

There's just not a lot of seats at this point, so a forced overnight may be the only choice.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

do they normally pay for the hotel or is that just too much to ask? this has never happend to me before a trip.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
do they normally pay for the hotel or is that just too much to ask? this has never happend to me before a trip.
as a scheduled overnight (even on a schedule change) very, very unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.