Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals - Continental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Special Meals - Continental

I realize that Continental originally didn't have special meals, but I also remember reading somewhere that going forward there will be a few special meals available for passengers, any information about that? Otherwise, do they offer a vegetarian meal on the plane, or do they normally go hungry?

Flights are YVR-IAH-EWR
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by e-aviation
I realize that Continental originally didn't have special meals, but I also remember reading somewhere that going forward there will be a few special meals available for passengers, any information about that? Otherwise, do they offer a vegetarian meal on the plane, or do they normally go hungry?

Flights are YVR-IAH-EWR
No, there are no special meals (including vegetarian) on those flights, even in business class. Time to get used to bringing your own food on flights.

Full details here: United - Special Meals
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
No they do not. CO has had SPMLs for as long as I can remember. But not on every route. Here's the list: Continental Airlines - Special Meals. SPMLs are offered on TPAC, TATL, Argentina, Brazil, and former CM routes, as well as in F on JFK/EWR-SFO/LAX and US Mainland-Hawaii.
YVR-IAH and IAH-EWR will not have SPMLs, neither in F nor in Y. Sorry
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Ah, looks like I may just have to try my best to reroute myself to travel on one of the special meal flights!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
(As a prelude to this, I'm vegetarian.) Continental generally has had a vegetarian pasta dish on its flights (although this was premeal alignment last month). It certainly beats the United "chicken sandwich or chicken salad" options of the past.

Failing that though, I would advise you vote with your wallet. Consider flying another carrier. I'd imagine CX offers special meals on YVR-JFK in business class. (It beats connecting and the product is beyond what CO offers on short haul domestic.)
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
(As a prelude to this, I'm vegetarian.) Continental generally has had a vegetarian pasta dish on its flights (although this was premeal alignment last month). It certainly beats the United "chicken sandwich or chicken salad" options of the past.

Failing that though, I would advise you vote with your wallet. Consider flying another carrier. I'd imagine CX offers special meals on YVR-JFK in business class. (It beats connecting and the product is beyond what CO offers on short haul domestic.)
I'm on an award ticket, connecting onto EWR-SIN in J. I had an option of doing YVR-LAX-SIN however the opportunity to be on the longest flight in the world sold it for me. I assume this change is going forward, like YVR-SFO on UA had a special meal (took that flight a few times), but from now that meal won't exist anymore?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's time to bring in DL's practice, and offer SPMLs on all routes that have regular meal service!
And take it one step further - all flights that have meals BOB should have the option of pre-order/pre-pay for SPMLs!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by e-aviation
I assume this change is going forward, like YVR-SFO on UA had a special meal (took that flight a few times), but from now that meal won't exist anymore?
Correct. The change was made in October 2011. Special meals eliminated on almost all flights other than long-haul international. Full UA policy is in the link I posted above.

Here's the original discussion thread: Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Instead of hiring thousands of people to handle "special meals" for the whiners who too cheap to buy it in the terminal or pack it, they should have three $5 bills at each gate on flights offering a dinner and hand them to the first three people who whine the loudest that they had to bring their special meal onboard
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by chasbondy
Instead of hiring thousands of people to handle "special meals" for the whiners who too cheap to buy it in the terminal or pack it, they should have three $5 bills at each gate on flights offering a dinner and hand them to the first three people who whine the loudest that they had to bring their special meal onboard
No one on this thread is whining ... except for you, whining about people whining (who aren't actually whining). But thanks for stopping by!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Is there somewhere in my post where I said people in this thread are whining???
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chasbondy
What thousands of people are required for SPMLs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.