FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Special Meals - Continental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1320000-special-meals-continental.html)

aviationp Mar 1, 12 9:21 pm

Special Meals - Continental
 
I realize that Continental originally didn't have special meals, but I also remember reading somewhere that going forward there will be a few special meals available for passengers, any information about that? Otherwise, do they offer a vegetarian meal on the plane, or do they normally go hungry?

Flights are YVR-IAH-EWR

Strom Mar 1, 12 10:48 pm


Originally Posted by e-aviation (Post 18115030)
I realize that Continental originally didn't have special meals, but I also remember reading somewhere that going forward there will be a few special meals available for passengers, any information about that? Otherwise, do they offer a vegetarian meal on the plane, or do they normally go hungry?

Flights are YVR-IAH-EWR

No, there are no special meals (including vegetarian) on those flights, even in business class. Time to get used to bringing your own food on flights. :)

Full details here: United - Special Meals

joshwex90 Mar 1, 12 10:53 pm

No they do not. CO has had SPMLs for as long as I can remember. But not on every route. Here's the list: Continental Airlines - Special Meals. SPMLs are offered on TPAC, TATL, Argentina, Brazil, and former CM routes, as well as in F on JFK/EWR-SFO/LAX and US Mainland-Hawaii.
YVR-IAH and IAH-EWR will not have SPMLs, neither in F nor in Y. Sorry

aviationp Mar 1, 12 11:30 pm

Ah, looks like I may just have to try my best to reroute myself to travel on one of the special meal flights!

FlyerChrisK Mar 2, 12 12:10 am

(As a prelude to this, I'm vegetarian.) Continental generally has had a vegetarian pasta dish on its flights (although this was premeal alignment last month). It certainly beats the United "chicken sandwich or chicken salad" options of the past.

Failing that though, I would advise you vote with your wallet. Consider flying another carrier. I'd imagine CX offers special meals on YVR-JFK in business class. (It beats connecting and the product is beyond what CO offers on short haul domestic.)

aviationp Mar 2, 12 1:03 pm


Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK (Post 18115702)
(As a prelude to this, I'm vegetarian.) Continental generally has had a vegetarian pasta dish on its flights (although this was premeal alignment last month). It certainly beats the United "chicken sandwich or chicken salad" options of the past.

Failing that though, I would advise you vote with your wallet. Consider flying another carrier. I'd imagine CX offers special meals on YVR-JFK in business class. (It beats connecting and the product is beyond what CO offers on short haul domestic.)

I'm on an award ticket, connecting onto EWR-SIN in J. I had an option of doing YVR-LAX-SIN however the opportunity to be on the longest flight in the world sold it for me. I assume this change is going forward, like YVR-SFO on UA had a special meal (took that flight a few times), but from now that meal won't exist anymore?

joshwex90 Mar 2, 12 2:28 pm

It's time to bring in DL's practice, and offer SPMLs on all routes that have regular meal service!
And take it one step further - all flights that have meals BOB should have the option of pre-order/pre-pay for SPMLs!

Strom Mar 2, 12 4:37 pm


Originally Posted by e-aviation (Post 18119068)
I assume this change is going forward, like YVR-SFO on UA had a special meal (took that flight a few times), but from now that meal won't exist anymore?

Correct. The change was made in October 2011. Special meals eliminated on almost all flights other than long-haul international. Full UA policy is in the link I posted above.

Here's the original discussion thread: Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

chasbondy Mar 3, 12 11:00 am

Instead of hiring thousands of people to handle "special meals" for the whiners who too cheap to buy it in the terminal or pack it, they should have three $5 bills at each gate on flights offering a dinner and hand them to the first three people who whine the loudest that they had to bring their special meal onboard

Strom Mar 3, 12 11:13 am


Originally Posted by chasbondy (Post 18125306)
Instead of hiring thousands of people to handle "special meals" for the whiners who too cheap to buy it in the terminal or pack it, they should have three $5 bills at each gate on flights offering a dinner and hand them to the first three people who whine the loudest that they had to bring their special meal onboard

No one on this thread is whining ... except for you, whining about people whining (who aren't actually whining). But thanks for stopping by! :D

chasbondy Mar 3, 12 11:29 am

Is there somewhere in my post where I said people in this thread are whining???

joshwex90 Mar 3, 12 6:49 pm


Originally Posted by chasbondy (Post 18125306)
Instead of hiring thousands of people to handle "special meals" for the whiners who too cheap to buy it in the terminal or pack it, they should have three $5 bills at each gate on flights offering a dinner and hand them to the first three people who whine the loudest that they had to bring their special meal onboard

What thousands of people are required for SPMLs?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.