Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Int'l F: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
UA Int'l F: worth it?

Does anyone think it's worth the 30000 miles to upgrade to F? Here are the facts about my upcoming flight:

- I will be on a UA 744, which has lie-flat seats in C (my booking class).
- I will be flying with a coworker, whom I don't mind being around (it seems that one of the advantages of F is that you don't have a seating "neighbor")
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
How long is the flight?

I guess it's also dependent on how many leftover miles you have (and plans for them).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Worth a SWU, but not miles IMO, especially if you're in the UD
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:51 pm

What is the route?

I would probably do it, but it really depends what else you would use those miles for. For example, I would much rather have a Y to J upgrade than a J to F.

If you want to be close to your companion, sometimes that can be a slight disadvantage of long-haul F.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:12 pm

Simple answer is No, unless you have 500+ miles,the UA F product (soft) is like going to a 3M star restaurant and getting a chicken fingers meal. sparkling wine in a plastic cup for pre departure drink says it all. o and you will be sitting next to no rev employees yaping on how the don´t like the merger!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by will2288
What is the route?

I would probably do it, but it really depends what else you would use those miles for. For example, I would much rather have a Y to J upgrade than a J to F.

If you want to be close to your companion, sometimes that can be a slight disadvantage of long-haul F.
ICN to SFO is the route. And I don't have a whole lot of miles in my account right now (only about 41000) but I'll get about 18000 more from this trip.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Save your miles for a proper int'l F experience!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: United Gold
Never been in international F, but I was in international C (IAD-GVA) recently and was 1 row behind F. Didn't look worth it to me, but then again I might do it once just to see if it would be worth it in the future and just to say that I was in F
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Save your miles for a proper int'l F experience!
...and by this you mean, on an airline not called United? Like NH? I'm actually flying NH out of SFO to NRT to begin the trip. I'm also in C, but the NH planes don't have lie flats (not that I really care for that flight; it's a daytime flight so I don't plan to sleep much).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I wouldn't think its worth it; then again, maybe one way just for fun...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Asiana F. That would be a good use of the miles.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:04 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Agreed. Save the miles and use them for a *A F reward on an airline with a good int'l F product. UA is not that airline, unfortunately.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:46 am

In other words every single *A F product is better than UA so only UA zombies will burn miles for UA F,Another good suggestion (I recently pulled it off) is to book UA F and just wait for award inventory to open up and do the free change. Cant wait for my ZRH-CHI on Swiss 333,now that´s a F product!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by STS-134
Does anyone think it's worth the 30000 miles to upgrade to F? Here are the facts about my upcoming flight:

- I will be on a UA 744, which has lie-flat seats in C (my booking class).
- I will be flying with a coworker, whom I don't mind being around (it seems that one of the advantages of F is that you don't have a seating "neighbor")
You realize that it is 30,000 miles one way AND a copay which can be as much as 500 one way, if you have a low fare ticket, right?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomA
You realize that it is 30,000 miles one way AND a copay which can be as much as 500 one way, if you have a low fare ticket, right?
Yes for Z, not for J/C/D though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.