Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anti-Semitic slur by Flight Attendant

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
I can't believe I just read all these posts! UA has training, it's called "dignity and respect." Clearly this FA was not using those guidelines. But I don't think this is a training issue.

And food for thought, what makes anyone think that the FA's and the rest of the crew did not say anything to her?

Many years ago, I used a term regarding money in front of a Jewish customer. I had no idea it was offensive. I did apoligize to him and we had a great relationship for many year after that. People make thoughtless comments and unless someone brings it to their attention, they will continue.

OP, I am sorry you heard a private comment by someone in uniform. But other than alerting the company, I think that should be the extent of your actions. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by skyemema
I can't believe I just read all these posts!
I agree. I kinda feel like I am in a small town in rural Mississippi.

Originally Posted by skyemema
I had no idea it was offensive.
I'm thinking that can't possible be the case with "I hate Jewish people."
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Originally Posted by TomA

I'm thinking that can't possible be the case with "I hate Jewish people."
No, you are probably right. My real point is that when some people are confronted with the unacceptability of their statements, from their peers, SOME thoughts/feelings might change. Maybe she really didn't mean what she said. Only a thought.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
UA Insider is on the board, but I'd hardly call him/her a lurker. Scott and Shannon post new things about UA, answer questions and occasionally get involved with threads. But not a lurker.
I sincerely doubt they aren't browsing, if not outright crawling, all three forums here.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by chasbondy
The thread would be entertaining, if the incident actually happened
It did:

Originally Posted by chasbondy
...I hate Muslims. I admit it, I am prejudiced about Muslims and there is nothing that they can say or do that will change my mind, ever...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by EWRHKG
Just walk away... Everybody has a right to hate anyone. Hasn't your mom ever taught you sticks and stone may break my bones but your words will never hurt me. If she didn't then considered that a lesson. Hatred will be here to stay no matter what anyone says. Its built into our genes whether you like it or not. Either learn to ignore or you will be fighting everyone who hates you.
Wow. . .actually, YOU may think this but as a flight attendant who is representing his/her company (and in uniform and by the plane) these kinds of thoughts need to be kept in their mind and NOT shared with others. Finally, not to go off on a tangent but when did it become OK to hate somebody?

That is not built into our genes btw; it is a learned behavior.

It's hard to deal with something like that in the moment especially because you would probably be targeted/threatened with police action or something like that, but I definitely would report it now. If you have your flight # and information e.g., a description of the FA that will make it much easier for them to track her down.

BTW - as somebody who has done corporate training for many years this is NOT a training issue although she should have coaching that she represents the company when she is in the uniform whether she is on/off the plane itself.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I sincerely doubt they aren't browsing, if not outright crawling, all three forums here.
Browsing, yes. Crawling, it's possible. But I don't think so.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
To me, the thread is more surprising than the incident.

Am I surprised there are FAs that hate jews? Not really. Am I surprised they would feel free while in uniform to express that hate to their co-workers where they could be overheard? Yeah, I am. But what really surprises me are some of the responses to such an incident.

It's also interesting to imagine how this thread might be different if the comment had been "I hate Christians" about a priest, or "I hate Muslims" about a person wearing traditional clothing, or "I hate [insert epithet]" about a person of color. The thread would be different in each case, possibly in surprising ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.