Wiki Posts
Search

CDG-IAH CO vs. US vs. AC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kiam
Thank you so much everyone for your input, I'm very grateful and I will choose US via PHL on A332 flat bed at $4K although I will have almost 4 hrs transit time. I'm glad to find out AC option via YUL requires two immigration clearance, which means no way I will do that.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I think US through PHL, especially with a 4-hour layover, is the not the right choice.

First, in my opinion, the flatbed seats on CO and US are quite comparable, although, again, it's clearly a matter of opinion.

But what no one would dispute is that AC has far better soft product, better catering, etc.

Secondly, in addition to the inconvenience of the 4-hour layover, you have to consider the North American domestic leg of the trip, where on US you will be flying on what is surely the lowest quality FC in North America, while AC's North American FC is excellent.

I would definitely go with the connection through YYZ (one of the best airports in North America, while PHL is a notorious dump). Not only will you have no Canadian customs there, but you should be able to go through U.S. customs pre-clearance very quickly.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Mar 1, 2012 at 5:14 am
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:13 pm

Btw, what is TITCR and IRROPS? Sorry I'm bad at this.
TITCR = This Is The Credited Response
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=titcr

IRROPS/IROPS: Short for Irregular Operations, such as equipment change, ATC delay, flight cancellation, etc.
http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/?letter_start=I
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thank you so much everyone for your input, I'm very grateful and I will choose US via PHL on A332 flat bed at $4K although I will have almost 4 hrs transit time. I'm glad to find out AC option via YUL requires two immigration clearance, which means no way I will do that.
Enjoy the PHL US Airways Club during your layover - decent tarmac views and they serve hot soup during the TATL (trans-atlantic) departure bank which is apparently fantastic.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
You're welcome

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I would definitely go with the connection through YYZ (one of the best airports in North America, while PHL is a notorious dump). Not only will you have no Canadian customs there, but you should be able to go through U.S. customs pre-clearance very quickly.
I respectfully disagree. I have transited international -> US, through YUL, YYZ, and YVR three times and I have ended up in US secondary inspection three times. The agents are bored and constantly looking the big score.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Dear experts,

I did come to light the 4.5 hrs stopover at PHL is indeed a big inconvenience as rightly pointed out by many of you, at the end I have decided to go with AC option as follows ($4,140 vs. $4,091 with US) so that I don't arrive Houston so late.

Inbound: CDG-YYZ-IAH
Outbound: IAH-YUL-CDG

Based on your prior input, flying in via YYZ will only go through one custom/immigration clearance (US), but I am wondering if flying back out via YUL will have any expected delay I need to be aware of. Do I need to go through Canadian immigration or I can just easliy make my transit connection at YUL without worring about Canadian immigration?

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Kiam
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

Based on your prior input, flying in via YYZ will only go through one custom/immigration clearance (US), but I am wondering if flying back out via YUL will have any expected delay I need to be aware of. Do I need to go through Canadian immigration or I can just easliy make my transit connection at YUL without worring about Canadian immigration?
You need to go through Canadian immigration at YUL on your outbound. But small plane and small airport, so it shouldn't take long. No need to claim bags.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...l_us_intl.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
You're welcome

I respectfully disagree. I have transited international -> US, through YUL, YYZ, and YVR three times and I have ended up in US secondary inspection three times. The agents are bored and constantly looking the big score.
Wow, that sounds like terrible luck. I have traveled to and from Canada an average of 5 times a year since the early 90's. In 2009 and 2010 I flew NYC-YVR 16 times.

I have never once been asked to go through secondary screening at any pre-clearance in Canada.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
You need to go through Canadian immigration at YUL on your outbound. But small plane and small airport, so it shouldn't take long. No need to claim bags.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...l_us_intl.html
I agree that clearing Canadian customs at YUL shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't exactly call it a small airport, though.

After all, it's the second largest airport in Eastern Canada, the third largest in the country, with only a little less annual passenger traffic than EWR and more than IAD.

It's also a major international hub served by quite a few carriers. It's one of the cities AF operates its A380 to.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat
FWIW, if I have the option of AC and other carriers, i'll always chose AC - I frequently mix UA outbound and AC homebound when flying LAX-LHR-yxx-LAX.

I find Canada formalities very easy and pre-clearance super-swift (especially with Global Entry...)

For some reason I find the CBP agents at Canadian pre-clearance to be more relaxed (in YUL even allowing me to take a Canadian raw-milk Camembert on board the LAX-bound flight after I promised to finish it before landing because, 'it'd be a pity to waste such a good-looking Camembert, Sir'
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:09 am

As somebody having done IAH-CDG in Business-Class five times in the last 12 months, I'd go for the AC option.
I've done UA 33, AC via YYZ and UA via IAD (taking the 757 with lie flat seats from IAD to CDG).

AC has a very fine business class product (much better than the worn out UA/CO 767-200, that has recliner seats and old non AVOD IFE that has a tendency to fail).

I cannot tell you the details about YUL, but as mentioned above, when coming from Europe you don't have to enter Canada.
And when going from NA to Europe entry into Canada is just a formality (without claiming luggage), which in YYZ even has a separate area.
I've always thoroughly enjoyed AC business class.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:57 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you very much OSUAAC for your kind input. I am looking forward to my first business class experience with AC.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by hangpilot
AC is nothing to get excited about. Nice soft product and people, but the seat and food are just OK. Plus you have the hassle of connecting through Canada. I recently flew GVA-YUL-CLE, and AC couldn't print out YUL-CLE (CO) boarding passes in GVA, or airside before immigration in YUL, so I had to rush landside. Turned into a bit of a PITA.
I'm really trying to see where you get the "seat is just ok" bit. AC has a great seat and in herringbone.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
There is a difference between YYZ and YUL. Flying AC Int'l-US through YVR and YYZ, one only needs to go through US pre-clearance there, but not Canadian immigration. I would not choose YUL since you'll need to go through Canadian immigration first before getting to US pre-clearance.
Doesn't YUL have the transit immigration they used to have in YYZ?

I believe the transfer clearance isn't bad. Just immigration, no customs.

Dear experts,

I did come to light the 4.5 hrs stopover at PHL is indeed a big inconvenience as rightly pointed out by many of you, at the end I have decided to go with AC option as follows ($4,140 vs. $4,091 with US) so that I don't arrive Houston so late.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Kiam
I believe you go through just immigration and avoid customs, with your bags going straight through.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:23 pm

The old CO website said the old 767 birds would all be upgraded to the lie flights by the end of June. Is this still the case? Seeing that on their website in December, I booked a flight in July nonstop from IAH-CDG in BF. Anyone know what I should expect?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
The old CO website said the old 767 birds would all be upgraded to the lie flights by the end of June. Is this still the case? Seeing that on their website in December, I booked a flight in July nonstop from IAH-CDG in BF. Anyone know what I should expect?
That's a negative on IAH-CDG. The 762s which are on that route will not be getting the lie flats.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:44 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by colpuck
That's a negative on IAH-CDG. The 762s which are on that route will not be getting the lie flats.
IAH-CDG operates with 764s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.