FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Chase Credit Card Continental vs United (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1318822-chase-credit-card-continental-vs-united.html)

cwipes Feb 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Chase Credit Card Continental vs United

Ok, You can call me crazy but I had a thought.

Currently I'm a Chase One Pass credit card holder. I signed up for it about a 1 year and 7 months ago.

The first year was free and I get my checked bags on for free too plus priority boarding. The 2nd year I had to pay but i get club passes, but i'm a Life time president's club member so I just eBayed them which basically paid for the card.

Now According to all the e-mails I've recently been receiving from United, the companies will be merged effective March 03rd, (Saturday).

My plan is to cancel my Chase OnePass Credit Card on March 01st. Then on March 03rd I call Chase and apply for a United Mileage Plus Explorer card from Chase (1-888-843-0538), as the first year is free and I get 40,000 bonus miles. You can verify this on the united web site.

I called the Chase representative number on the back of my OnePass MC card and told him this and he said "ya know if you don't cancel your card it will automatically turn in to a United Mileage plus card and we'll just send you a new one", but then I explained that well If I sign up again after the merger, I'll get 40,000 miles and my first year free. So my question is why wouldn't I?

Am I crazy for thinking this?

LilAbner Feb 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by cwipes (Post 18094277)
Ok, You can call me crazy but I had a thought.
So my question is why wouldn't I?

Am I crazy for thinking this?

I don't know if they would consider you Chase One Pass to be the same as a United Chase card?

Here's the fine print---"This one-time bonus offer is only valid for first-time United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer." AND YOUR CO CARD WILL AUTOMATICALLY BECOME A UA CARD.

You might be O.K., but you may want to call UA Chase and ask. It may take a few calls (DO AN ODD NUMBER OF CALLS TO BREAK THE TIE) to get the correct above average answer!!!

cwipes Feb 27, 2012 10:50 pm

That's exactly my point! March 2nd they are 2 different cards for 2 different airlines. On March 03rd they're 1 airline. The Chase representative confirmed this and what I said. I'd like someone else or a lot of people to call the number on the back of your card and find out.

kwildnj Feb 27, 2012 11:41 pm

I am fairly certain it was posted that as far as the cards go, as of some date in July of last year, if you had one airline's card, you could not collect the enrollment bonus for the other.

edcho Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by kwildnj (Post 18094716)
I am fairly certain it was posted that as far as the cards go, as of some date in July of last year, if you had one airline's card, you could not collect the enrollment bonus for the other.

+1 ... I remember this as well (too lazy to look it up). Nevertheless, this date has passed and it is very unlikely that you could qualify for the bonus on the new UA. YMMV though (as with many things on here), however, don't be surprised if you don't get the bonus miles.

cwipes Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

I did a search for that on this board before posting this and found no information, but if someone could find a link that says that, it would be helpful and appreciated.

This was the closest link I could find that was remotely similar to my situation and the answer back then was "I don't know":
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ar-fee-12.html

worldwidedreamer Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

As a lifetime Presidents Club member the Presidential Plus card is a no brainer at $99 per year.

fireworksboy Feb 28, 2012 2:15 pm

I've been a Chase Onepass card holder for about 5 years. I signed up for a 50k mile bonus in November, 2011 Chase United card and was approved instantly and had no issues getting the bonus.

Side note, my Onepass card has a pretty good size credit limit while my new United one only came with $1,000 limit. Not sure how this will shake out after March 3, 2012.

cwipes Feb 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy (Post 18098699)
I've been a Chase Onepass card holder for about 5 years. I signed up for a 50k mile bonus in November, 2011 Chase United card and was approved instantly and had no issues getting the bonus.

Side note, my Onepass card has a pretty good size credit limit while my new United one only came with $1,000 limit. Not sure how this will shake out after March 3, 2012.

See that's exactly my point! He still got the bonus and that was only 3 months ago. That will not apply when the airlines are merged on March 03rd. Thanks, that was helpful!

cwipes Feb 28, 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 18098541)
As a lifetime Presidents Club member the Presidential Plus card is a no brainer at $99 per year.

Why would you get the Presidental Plus card if you're already a Lifetime Presidents club member?

Don't the benefits of the Lifetime membership cancel out the benefits of the Presidential Plus Card?

cwipes Feb 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Well I'm currently on the phone with Chase and I asked my question in regards to canceling the OnePass plus card from Continental and applying for the Mileage Plus Explorer card with united.

Well that was not the answer I expected:

According to the Chase representative, "As long as I apply for the card before March 03rd, then I would be eligible for the 40,000 bonus miles and the card would be free for the 1st year". Well I'm calling to apply for a Mileage Plus Explorer card now 1-888-848-0538.

Will follow up with what I find out.

cwipes Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm

On the phone with the United Mileage Plus Explorer people at Chase to open a card and I'm on hold while she verifies what I have stated.

So if approved for the card I do get the 20,000 miles after my first purchase, 5,000 after I add a authorized user or spouse card and they make their 1st purchase, and then 15,000 miles after I've spent a combined $25,000 in one year.

One thing that was odd was that in regards to the "Check your first bag free" is limited to 2 passengers on the same reservations and not more then 2.

elitefreak Feb 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 18098541)

^^^

cwipes Feb 29, 2012 3:43 pm

So while my application for a United Mileage plus card is now in processing with Chase, I still think I need to cancel my Continental One Pass card by March 02nd. Otherwise my onepass card automatically becomes a United Mileage plus card and thereby the reason why my application could be denied and then I don't get my 40,000 bonus miles.

Thoughts?

samwkchan Feb 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Just wonder, what if I have both cards? Will one of them be cancelled? What about the credit lines?