Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2h10m Mid-Con Lunch 737-800 Flight - FA Workload in F Too High?

Old Feb 27, 12, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

I was on a mid-con 2 hours 10 minute flying time CO flight today. 737-800 with 20F seats.

The flight attendants were very attentive. Warm nuts and lunch served, waters were refreshed, blankets were handed out with a nice touch...

It all went down hill when I reported a problem (with the PA system) to the FA the 2nd time...

I had told her the problem after takeoff. Then before the initial descend, she was right next to me collecting the trays and the problem occurred again. I just wanted to point it out to her that was an example of the problem. I know better not to expect it to be fixed in-flight.

She didn't even let me finish and came down on me on how busy she was to get all the work done...that I should understand her perspective...

On one hand, it was nice that she felt she had all the tasks to complete, worked hard to do them and did many of them well.

On the other hand, she definitely flipped. I definitely did not need to know her workload problem and one of her job was to mask that stress and help the passengers, right?

I wonder for those who are CO cabin crews, has the improved F meals added stress for getting all the things done on a short mid-con flight like this?

Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 12, 12:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus: 1k 2012; Continental Platinum 2010-11
What was the problem?
Old Feb 28, 12, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
And a PA problem is definitely something to report as it is a safety issue, so they should be happy passengers report. I have always been uncertain exactly how to report problems on the aircraft as the FA's always seem so busy. Maybe a little card that can be left on the seat? Aside from that - I have been thinking in particular about the serving of ice cream sundays and how much work it must be! While I like them, I think other desserts could have been chosen that didn't take so much effort and perhaps cost?
Old Feb 28, 12, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
While the workload for the aisle F/A in F is definitely higher on the 20F 738/739/ER, this really should not be an excuse for the F/A's behavior. Perhaps something else was going on that prompted her to respond in the way she did.

Anyway, flight attendants in this day and age should not complain about their workloads... it wasn't long ago that flights like DEN-ORD or EWR-ATL received full hot services in coach!
Old Feb 28, 12, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Narendra View Post
What was the problem?
She had both hand full of trays, dirty dishes & glasses and the OP wanted her to see that his t.v. was on the blink, again.
Old Feb 28, 12, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
She had both hand full of trays, dirty dishes & glasses and the OP wanted her to see that his t.v. was on the blink, again.
Were you there? If you were, you would know:

A - she did not have both of her hands full
B - had you read the original posting, it was the PA, not my TV
C - I was on one of the few 738s that didn't have IFE/DirecTV

The problem was we could only hear 1 out of every few sentences from the cockpit. When I reported it after takeoff, the FA did not notice it - I guess they just tune these annoucements out. She never came back to say it was written in the log or reported. So, when this happened and she happened to be right next to me, I wanted her to hear it first hand.

Of course, the ironic thing was that the service was very good until this incident. I think she just snapped for some reason. At one point, she was grabbing both of my hands and explaining things to me like when parents were talking to children.

Going back to the original question, if the workload is too high, maybe they can cut out the warm nuts? The flight departed about lunch time and it would have been fine if we just went directly to the lunch.

Last edited by username; Feb 28, 12 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by username View Post
I was on a mid-con 2 hours 10 minute flying time CO flight today. 737-800 with 20F seats.

The flight attendants were very attentive. Warm nuts and lunch served, waters were refreshed, blankets were handed out with a nice touch...

It all went down hill when I reported a problem (with the PA system) to the FA the 2nd time...

I had told her the problem after takeoff. Then before the initial descend, she was right next to me collecting the trays and the problem occurred again. I just wanted to point it out to her that was an example of the problem. I know better not to expect it to be fixed in-flight.

She didn't even let me finish and came down on me on how busy she was to get all the work done...that I should understand her perspective...

On one hand, it was nice that she felt she had all the tasks to complete, worked hard to do them and did many of them well.

On the other hand, she definitely flipped. I definitely did not need to know her workload problem and one of her job was to mask that stress and help the passengers, right?

I wonder for those who are CO cabin crews, has the improved F meals added stress for getting all the things done on a short mid-con flight like this?

Thanks.
Sounds like CO needs to hire cabin crews that actually care about customer concerns. It is not like this is the 60s and 70s when airlines would serve full meals in F class on shorter flights from CLE-ORD on DC-10s. It sounds like they need training on multitasking and customer care.
Old Feb 28, 12, 9:47 pm

Everybody has a bad day once in a while!

I say --- "Cut her some slack"!!!

She did give you good service after all was said and done!!!
Old Mar 3, 12, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
Everybody has a bad day once in a while!

I say --- "Cut her some slack"!!!

She did give you good service after all was said and done!!!
I have been debating all week whether to write 1kvoice or not. On one hand, she was very good. On the other, I really don't know what set her off and what she did was simply unacceptable and unprofessional.

I went to the lav after the initial discussions, when I came out, she looked up my name in the manifest, grabbed my newly washed hands and tried to explain things to me.

I am leaning toward not doing anything on this. I hope she learned her lesson that part of her job IS to do all her tasks AND handling passenger concerns - without whining how much work she has to do.
Old Mar 3, 12, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Once you take off, get up to altitude and serve the alchies, there are usually 2 interruptions for bumpy air. Then several more requests for another drink, then on goes the entertainment system, followed by requests for more drinks. At that point you're an hour from landing and the meal must be rushed because the wine taste is a bit off
Old Mar 3, 12, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'd say let this one go.
Overall service was good. She may have come off wrong but I suspect she's adjusting to new service standards.

For all the apologists who think serving sundaes is too much and don't want their warm nuts, welcome to the NEW United. Learn to CLOSE THE MOUTH when it comes to amenities being offered that you don't want/care for/need. There are plenty of people who desire a modicum of premium in their premium cabin and we don't need people giving the Company ideas that they can already cut back on services that have just been restored and standardized.
Old Mar 5, 12, 2:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus: 1k 2012; Continental Platinum 2010-11
I too would cut her some slack. If there was something wrong with the PA just take note of the flight that you were on and notify United through email/online. I think there would at least be a paper trail and surely they'll have to fix it to avoid liability...
Old Mar 5, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
I'd say let this one go.
For all the apologists who think serving sundaes is too much and don't want their warm nuts, welcome to the NEW United. Learn to CLOSE THE MOUTH when it comes to amenities being offered that you don't want/care for/need. There are plenty of people who desire a modicum of premium in their premium cabin and we don't need people giving the Company ideas that they can already cut back on services that have just been restored and standardized.
Thank You!
Old Mar 5, 12, 8:58 pm

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite
I flew this afternoon CLE-EWR.

CLE and EWR seemed both quite busy.
Both locations seemed very well organized and businesslike.
The CLE Gate Agents were EXCEPTIONAL
The flight crew was very accomodating and professional
Little delay due to wind/air traffic at EWR, no big issue

I have no complaints just praise to the team on my first new United flight; and as a legacy CO PLAT, with only 3 lifetime airplane trips on United; I have not been to first person to be excited about the merger. Here's to showing the way to making it work.

"Tip of the Hat" to the folks I encountered today for working hard, and doing the right things to make the transition go well.
Old May 3, 12, 11:41 am

For all of you talking about meals on short flights in the 60's and 70's ... even in the mid 80's (1985 in this case) NW served a full hot breakfast in coach between ORD and MSP on a 747! They also served brunch in coach on a 20 minute flight between MSN and ORD on a 727-200. At that same time United served a full lunch in coach on a 767 between OMA and ORD. Wow, how times have changed!

Search this Thread