4am Departures on CO

Old Feb 25, 12, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA EXPLAT
4am Departures on CO

Just noticed that the first PHX-IAH flight in March has been re-scheduled to a 445am departure. Not exactly my favorite time to leave.

That got me thinking, however, if this is the only flight to originate in the 4 o'clock hour. Can anyone else think of any?
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Spn-gum 04:35-05:25
ror-gum 02:35-05:30
yap-gum 04:20-05:50
Old Feb 25, 12, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-MVPG75K / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by cmhua777 View Post
Just noticed that the first PHX-IAH flight in March has been re-scheduled to a 445am departure. Not exactly my favorite time to leave.
It's called "Daylight Savings Time". The fact that Arizona doesn't participate means we get these really weird schedules. The plane needs to arrive in IAH at it's "normal" time so that it still connects to the same flights.

All (?) flights are physically operating an hour earlier when DST kicks in.
The arrival into IAH was around 9:20CST. It now becomes around 9:20CDT which is an hour earlier. Most of the USA does not notice the change.
Here in AZ, we know the schedules changed because we don't adjust our clocks. We don't list the new departure time as 5:45MDT, we call it as it really is, 4:45MST
Old Feb 25, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think it's a perfectly timed flight to stumble in from the Old Town Scottsdale bars and crawl my way back east...

(yes, that has happened

... more than once )
Old Feb 26, 12, 5:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think there should be more flights scheduled based on convenient arrival times when crossing multiple time zones. For example, there's a 9:00am EWR-LHR flight arriving at 9:20pm UK time. Why not have a 4:00am flight, arriving 4:20pm UK time?

Yes, this is purely hypothetical, since it doesn't take into account connecting passengers. But if you're planning to get onto UK time anyway, that 4:00am departure is really 9:00am UK time, which means you're only helping yourself adjust to the new time, and you're at your home or hotel at a more reasonable hour - or even able to make a dinner appointment.

For another example, I'd also rather see the EWR-DEL/BOM flights leave in the morning, instead of the evening. An evening departure means you're actually flying entirely during the day India time, so any sleep you get harms your ability to adapt to local time naturally.
Old Feb 26, 12, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by steve64 View Post
It's called "Daylight Savings Time".
Rather, it's called "Daylight Saving Time." It's neither plural, nor possessive. Leave off the last 's' for SAVING.

Search this Thread