IAH - EZE Upgrade with SWU or Miles

Old Feb 23, 12, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
IAH - EZE Upgrade with SWU or Miles

I know I had seen some posts on why does CO's flights 52 and 53 never seem to have mile upgrade availability. While I could buy up to BF using money with 9 seats available on either flight, when I look up to upgrade using miles or SWU I get either the "No online upgrade available / Waitlist only" messages.

Currently I have reservations on 4/13 for CO 53 and 4/21 on CO 52

My biggest reason for wondering if this is a systemic issue or just my travel dates, is because i keep wondering if i should book flights on SWU-upgradeable fares vs. lowest fare.

I've taken these flights 3 or 4 times over the past years and always been on the waitlist without clearing.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Feb 23, 12, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I have flown these flight a few times myself. NOTORIOUSLY hard to use miles to upgrade on.

Instead, I always use "SaverPass" miles to book my tickets, and am usually able to find flight with this availability as long as I am a bit flexible.

Current rate is 100,000 miles (although now with merger, its 135,000 miles for First Class when both Business Class and First Class are offered - although I dont think these flights have ever been 3 class aircraft)
Old Feb 23, 12, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
I have flown these flight a few times myself. NOTORIOUSLY hard to use miles to upgrade on.

Instead, I always use "SaverPass" miles to book my tickets, and am usually able to find flight with this availability as long as I am a bit flexible.

Current rate is 100,000 miles (although now with merger, its 135,000 miles for First Class when both Business Class and First Class are offered - although I dont think these flights have ever been 3 class aircraft)
Normally this would be my preferred path too, but since this is business travel I need to purchase the lowest fare (and if i want to move to a SWU fare then I need to pay for that as a ticket change - well worth the 150 USD if I can confirm the upgrade). My concern is that i've checked on a VERY (obsessively) regular basis, and I haven't seen the availability change at all.

Considering that right now the plane is a crappy 762 it's not worth upgrading with money... so not sure why it's set up to stop us from upgrading with miles (i've actually seen seats left open... but at that point the fare difference was too much to change).
Old Feb 23, 12, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I've seen empty seats as well.

That said, I would likely fork over any upgrade fee at the airport if offered (in the rare chance I wasnt already confirmed into BF)

To be honest, on intl flights like this, I wont go if I'm not up front.

Understand your situation different if traveling for work though!

Search this Thread