Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Important! Previously Issued CO Tickets Exchanged/Changed After March 3

Important! Previously Issued CO Tickets Exchanged/Changed After March 3

Old Feb 22, 12, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Exclamation Important! Previously Issued CO Tickets Exchanged/Changed After March 3

As a Travel Agent, I've been receiving briefings from UA along the way, but today's release is germane to CO customers as a whole, specifically around previously confirmed upgrades.

Here is the scoop - if you have a CO ticket (ticket number 005) and you need to make changes to it *after* March 3, it will need to be re-issued as a UA ticket (ticket number 016).

If this ticket has a EUA that cleared, you will lose it - but this is not a big deal as anytime you change or re-issue a ticket currently, you will lose the upgrade.

The bigger issue affects those holding upgrades on Int'l or domestic flights confirmed with SWUs, miles, etc.

Mileage upgrades on 005 tickets:

The ticketed class of service for mileage rewards does not allow for direct transfer of upgraded space to the new UA/016 ticket. The customer will need to request a re-deposit of the miles and may re-purchase the upgrade, if it is still available.

Complimentary Premier Upgrades: A customer who has received a complimentary Premier upgrade would not retain their upgrade on the new flight – they would, however, be eligible for an upgrade again if the space is available through the standard Premier upgrade process.

System-wide upgrade/Regional upgrades: SWU/RUs applied to a ticket would be re-deposited automatically into the customer’s account. If the customer chooses to apply them again on the new ticket, they may do so through united.com or calling United Reservations.
This rule affects involuntary schedule changes (as well as voluntary changes) - an example - you're flying on a CO ticket from FLL to NRT via IAH, upgraded all the way using a SWU. You're booked on the 8am flight to IAH, connecting with the noon flight to NRT. The 8am flight is removed from the schedule and replaced with a 745am flight with a new flight number, or you are rebooked on the 10am flight to IAH.

You accept the change - the CO ticket will need to be re-issued as a UA ticket, and therefore your upgrade from IAH to NRT (with a SWU or miles) will be lost and you'll need to apply for it again....and it might not be available.

Same situation with a Regional upgrade...or a mileage upgrade.

This probably won't affect a lot of people - but it's something to be aware of, as quite often these changes hit tickets that were booked a long time ago.

If you bought your ticket through a TA, make sure they are clear and fully understand the rules and procedures for refunding and re-issuing tickets that require a change (voluntary or involuntary) after March 3.

Last edited by bocastephen; Feb 22, 12 at 4:03 pm
Old Feb 22, 12, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Here is the scoop - if you have a CO ticket (ticket number 016) and you need to make changes to it *after* March 3, it will need to be re-issued as a UA ticket (ticket number 005).

The ticketed class of service for mileage rewards does not allow for direct transfer of upgraded space to the new UA/016 ticket. The customer will need to request a re-deposit of the miles and may re-purchase the upgrade, if it is still available.
(emphasis mine)

You're contradicting yourself there.

From the quote is sounds like existing 016 tickets are fine, 005 tickets are trouble.

Does this apply to all 005 tickets, or only those issued through a ticket agent other than Continental?
Old Feb 22, 12, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Might be a stupid question, but since I have 12 reservations past March 3 on 005, might as well ask.
I assume PCU's will still work on 005, only a issue if I have to re-issue AFTER I am PCU upgraded, correct?

And along those lines, IF I have a 005 ticket and request a SWU or Regional upgrade AFTER March 3 and it clears, is it correct to assume that would also cause the ticket to be re-issued to 016 stock?
Old Feb 22, 12, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
You should edit the original post as the definition is backwards. 005 is PMCO, 016 is PMUA and newUA.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
You should edit the original post as the definition is backwards. 005 is PMCO, 016 is PMUA and newUA.
Fixed, thanks for catching that.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LTTE | National Car EE
!!! isn't it "schedule change city" right now with all the stuff that's happening on the backend? i have an 005 DCA >> EWR >> HKG ticket w/ cleared SWUs already out in early June. if there is a schedule change anywhere between March 3 and day of travel, i might have to play the waiting game again to reapply and hope i get seats up front?
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eleeut View Post
!!! isn't it "schedule change city" right now with all the stuff that's happening on the backend? i have an 005 DCA >> EWR >> HKG ticket w/ cleared SWUs already out in early June. if there is a schedule change anywhere between March 3 and day of travel, i might have to play the waiting game again to reapply and hope i get seats up front?

That's certainly what it sounds like. If this is true, I'm surprised they don't have a way to retain upgrades in these situations.

UA always managed to retain upgrades despite situations requiring ticket reissues in the original booking class. Specifically, UA would double book you (rebook you in coach, but also keep the upgrade as a separate segment), ticket the coach ticket, then remove the coach segments leaving you still in Business as originally upgraded.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mht_flyer View Post
Might be a stupid question, but since I have 12 reservations past March 3 on 005, might as well ask.
I assume PCU's will still work on 005, only a issue if I have to re-issue AFTER I am PCU upgraded, correct?
What is a PCU?

And along those lines, IF I have a 005 ticket and request a SWU or Regional upgrade AFTER March 3 and it clears, is it correct to assume that would also cause the ticket to be re-issued to 016 stock?
This I don't know 100% - I don't believe it requires a re-issue of the ticket from my recollection.
Old Feb 22, 12, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I want to add that minor schedule adjustments (from how I'm reading the memo, meaning adjustments that do not result in a new/changed flight segment), do not require a re-issue and are safe.

So, in my previous example, if that 8am flight changed to 815am, and retained its flight number and you could still make your connection, no re-issue is required.
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LTTE | National Car EE
I want to add that minor schedule adjustments (from how I'm reading the memo, meaning adjustments that do not result in a new/changed flight segment), do not require a re-issue and are safe.

So, in my previous example, if that 8am flight changed to 815am, and retained its flight number and you could still make your connection, no re-issue is required.
i guess i'm more concerned about where a legacy CO operated flight turns into a "new" UA route. for me I had one where there was a CO operated seg that turned into a UA operated seg (routing PDX >>> IAH, formerly a 739 to a A320) that required a reticketing. i just don't know the likelihood of that happening w/ the DCA >>> EWR segs.

bleh.

Last edited by eleeut; Feb 22, 12 at 5:39 pm
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK
Premier complimentary upgrade PCU. Standard elite upgrade.

Regular "EUA" will still work on 005 tickets post March 3?

I assume yes since I don't think ticket number should matter for that, but was just asking if anyone could confirm for sure,
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
So for my December 2012 ticket that was issued on 005 stock that already has HKG-ORD SWU cleared but ORD-NRT waitlisted, should I demand to have ticket reissued on 016 stock while R space is still available?

Further complicated by the fact that I have SQ 11 booked in P on the same ticket and P is no longer available (now only F, at double the cost).
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I'm in a situation where I have a 005 ticket that recently had a schedule change that I haven't accepted yet (was waiting for March 3rd). Seems like I should call accept the change and have them re-issue 016 ticket? Then I can apply upgrades without having to worry about future schedule changes/re-issues?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navi-c View Post
I'm in a situation where I have a 005 ticket that recently had a schedule change that I haven't accepted yet (was waiting for March 3rd). Seems like I should call accept the change and have them re-issue 016 ticket? Then I can apply upgrades without having to worry about future schedule changes/re-issues?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Peatisback View Post
So for my December 2012 ticket that was issued on 005 stock that already has HKG-ORD SWU cleared but ORD-NRT waitlisted, should I demand to have ticket reissued on 016 stock while R space is still available?

Further complicated by the fact that I have SQ 11 booked in P on the same ticket and P is no longer available (now only F, at double the cost).
If you call before March 3 with a 005 ticket that needs reissue due to a schedule change, it will be reissued as a new 005 ticket, not a 016 ticket - only after Mar3 will all tickets be issued under United's plate, which is 016.

If your ticket does not need to be re-issued, I seriously doubt they will re-issue the ticket after Mar 3 for no reason.
Old Feb 22, 12, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I was concerned about my previously cleared SWU not carrying over from a 005 to a 016 reissued ticket so I called the 1K desk- the agent spent about 20 minutes talking to different desks and came back to say that everyone unanimously said that all previously applied/cleared upgrades would be honored. I really hope this is the case but I think it will be impossible to know until after 3/3. I anticipate at least one schedule change between now and December so I'm sure I'll be finding out the answer.

My new concern is that the FLL-ORD flight that is supposed to get me to ORD in time for ORD-NRT is not showing up on the pss.united.com site. If the flight doesn't exist after 3/3 it will be interesting to see how this will be resolved....

If you call before March 3 with a 005 ticket that needs reissue due to a schedule change, it will be reissued as a new 005 ticket, not a 016 ticket - only after Mar3 will all tickets be issued under United's plate, which is 016.

If your ticket does not need to be re-issued, I seriously doubt they will re-issue the ticket after Mar 3 for no reason.

Search this Thread