No Upgrade Seats on CO Flights?

Old Feb 22, 12, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Cool No Upgrade Seats on CO Flights?

Apologies if this is a known issue. I'm trying to book a seat on CO's website for LHR-EWR with an upgrade and there doesn't seem to be any upgrade availability on that route, no matter which days I pick - even six or seven months in advance. Should I be waiting until after 3/3 to do this?
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:25 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by youknighted View Post
Apologies if this is a known issue. I'm trying to book a seat on CO's website for LHR-EWR with an upgrade and there doesn't seem to be any upgrade availability on that route, no matter which days I pick - even six or seven months in advance. Should I be waiting until after 3/3 to do this?
there's a related post 2 threads up... looks like a new glitch this week with upgrade inventory... being 36 hrs out as a platinum on a return flight I'm always upgraded well in advance has 2 of 20 seats filled and still no upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jkburns1 View Post
there's a related post 2 threads up... looks like a new glitch this week with upgrade inventory... being 36 hrs out as a platinum on a return flight I'm always upgraded well in advance has 2 of 20 seats filled and still no upgrade.
That's a completely different issue. What the OP described is just normal behaviour - upgrade inventory is very rarely released in advance on this route.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:50 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It is much easier to find UA, LH, LOT of Brussels Air availability to Europe than CO metal.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Can you be more specific on dates? And do you have to do nonstop from LHR to EWR? For instance, I just randomly picked mid April and see upgrade availability from LHR to IAH and then on to EWR. I can check a bit if you fill in some info.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
I also see inventory on April 17 on the nonstop. But I am using expert flyer and not co website.
Old Feb 22, 12, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jkburns1 View Post
20 seats? OP is trying to get into BusinessFirst to London Heathrow, not get a complimentary upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 12, 8:25 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
20 seats? OP is trying to get into BusinessFirst to London Heathrow, not get a complimentary upgrade.
Yep got that... my mistake
Old Feb 24, 12, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Just to clarify my original post, I am trying to purchase a ticket LHR-EWR-LHR from continental.com and upgrade with (OnePass) miles at the time of purchasing (rather than waiting for a complimentary upgrade).

No matter which days I select, every single flight has a red "! Upgrade not available on COxx" message. I'm guessing that this is transition related.
Old Feb 24, 12, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by youknighted View Post
Just to clarify my original post, I am trying to purchase a ticket LHR-EWR-LHR from continental.com and upgrade with (OnePass) miles at the time of purchasing (rather than waiting for a complimentary upgrade).

No matter which days I select, every single flight has a red "! Upgrade not available on COxx" message. I'm guessing that this is transition related.
No - this is perfectly normal. You can waitlist and there's a good chance of it clearing closer to the flight departure date. It's very rare for CO to leave upgrade inventory open on these flights well in advance. Once they get a better feel for the expected loads in C, they start to release some inventory.
Old Feb 24, 12, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HSmartt View Post
Can you be more specific on dates? And do you have to do nonstop from LHR to EWR? For instance, I just randomly picked mid April and see upgrade availability from LHR to IAH and then on to EWR. I can check a bit if you fill in some info.
Ugh. Halfway across the country and then back. All for a flight that is only slightly longer than EWR-SFO to begin with.

Search this Thread