Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Instant upgrade inventory goes from 8 to 0 in one day. Now what?

Old Feb 21, 12, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - ExPlat, UA - Plat 2MM, HY - Explorist, SPG - Lifetime Gold, HH - Diamond

The best laid plans...

So I booked myself and my partner EWR-ANU choosing the days with the most flights and the flights with the most open F seats. Since my partner is Silver, I separated his PNR and used Regional Upgrades to confirm him in F round trip. I didn't confirm my own upgrades thinking I could possibly clear with UDU but worst case scenario keep my eyes on the front cabin and buy up to M and an instant upgrade if it started to get tight up front.

Little did I know that in ONE DAY, PN would go from from 8 to 0, C from 9 to 1 on our ANU-EWR flight. Yesterday there were 5/16 seats taken on the seat map, today 13/16. I'm guessing some group must have just booked most of the remaining F seats. This flight is two weeks away, so we're not talking about people getting upgraded here (and just days ago my partner got the last R seat).

So my questions are...

1 - I know seat map is not always a precise indicator, but with 3 seats open and only 1 seat for sale, possible CO will open more F seats, including PN?

2 - I thought that I could still buy up to Y and get any available F seat, but when I go to my reservation and check on pricing for buy up, it simply says "instant upgrade not available" for that flight. Shouldn't I still be able to buy up to Y and get the last remaining seat in C inventory?

I'm used to losing out on upgrades these days, but really bummed that now I can't even buy my way up. Really didn't think it was going to be an issue and even set an alert in case it got below 6 seats. But I suppose anything can happen... lesson learned.
Old Feb 21, 12, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd wait a few days and see if the sudden reservation actually tickets.
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - ExPlat, UA - Plat 2MM, HY - Explorist, SPG - Lifetime Gold, HH - Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I'd wait a few days and see if the sudden reservation actually tickets.
That was my thought as well however this "crisis" is averted anyway. It appears inventory was recalculated overnight and they made those two extra seats in the F cabin available at both C and PN. So I was able to buy up to M and upgrade this morning.
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:22 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
deleted response.. was responding in err to different issue

Last edited by jkburns1; Feb 22, 12 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 22, 12, 2:05 pm

Looks like someone saw all of the reward space on the same flight and jumped on it! That's rough

Search this Thread