Is this a legal connection-award travel

Old Feb 21, 12, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Is this a legal connection-award travel

I am doing CHS-HAM on 6/22 and PRG-CHS on 7/2 on award travel.
Continental is showing on 6/22 in Business a CHS-IAD on UAX, IAD-VIE on Austrian with a 30 minute connection in VIE that connects to a VIE-HAM. Do we clear customs before leaving or is 30 minutes really a legal connection.
The return is no problem but before I book this, I just want to make sure I won't get messed over if this isn't a legal connection.

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
25 minute MCT according to their website

http://www.viennaairport.com/jart/pr...ve-mode=active

This doesn't distinguish between Schengen and non-Schengen connections though - not sure if that influences it. Your connection would be non-Schengen to Schengen. You clear customs in Hamburg but immigration in VIE.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

the Department of State website says Austria is a Schengen country so it would be a Schengen (VIE) to Schengen (HAM) connection.
I guess what I am looking for is for anyone who has traveled through VIE and done this type of connection when starting in the US. My international travel experience is very limited so before I even consider booking this, I wanted to get feedback. The offerings for miles this summer are extremely limited (I dropped to Gold this year FWIW) so I want to hop on this if it is even remotely possible to pull this off.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFreak View Post
the Department of State website says Austria is a Schengen country so it would be a Schengen (VIE) to Schengen (HAM) connection.
I guess what I am looking for is for anyone who has traveled through VIE and done this type of connection when starting in the US. My international travel experience is very limited so before I even consider booking this, I wanted to get feedback. The offerings for miles this summer are extremely limited (I dropped to Gold this year FWIW) so I want to hop on this if it is even remotely possible to pull this off.
Austria certainly is in the Schengen area. But you are arriving from IAD. That's a non-Schengen arrival, connecting to a Schengen departure. So you will clear immigration in VIE, and customs in HAM (you won't see your bags until HAM).

I've transited VIE many times in the past and it is trivial. It is specifically designed for very short connections like this. I'd be inclined to book it unless there is some specific exclusion for flight connections between non-Schengen and Schengen in the MCT.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

My apologies-I read too fast and took your response solely talking about VIE to HAM. I think I am going to hold off for another few weeks to see if anything else opens up with a better connection time . Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 22, 12, 5:25 am

Programs: CO Plat
You Can connect in 30 minutes in Vienna without issues if you arrive in terminal. You clear security at the gate and they sometimes hold the plane for people to clear security. Its a great airport (unless your gate involves a bus trip to the terminal).
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:34 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I've changed planes in Vienna, and have made short connections without difficulty. You will be arriving in the AM, and even if you miss your flight they will be able to get you to Hamburg without much delay. Vienna is a comparatively small airport, and it's much easier to change planes there than it is in a place like Frankfurt.

In Vienna, you will need to show your passport and have it stamped. You do not need to retrieve your bags (as is necessary at a USA port of entry); you'll get the bags in Hamburg.
Old Feb 22, 12, 7:14 am
Suspended

The only downside I can see is that there are only 2 flights to HAM from VIE each day on *A - the OP could have to wait until that night to fly to HAM if the connection was missed, or route through FRA/MUC.

Search this Thread