bereavement fare after-the-fact question

Old Feb 21, 12, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
bereavement fare after-the-fact question

Hello all,

I had to book a same day flight last wednesday IAH-LHR for myself and family (the connections were on a different airline) to the tune of well over $5,000 for the roundtrip. It was literally me jumping on computer and booking and basically locking the houe and racing up to IAH. I honestly didn't even think about calling or looking up compassion fares since I had to leave so fast due to the death of my father-in-law. Now that I have some time I saw CO(UA) has a page on after the flight refunds. Is it fairly straight forward? I will work on getting what the website calls for and can call CO in a few days when I get to real phone but I wanted to ask the experts for any advice also. (FYI- The return legs are not till the end of March).

thanks
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:03 pm

Just FYI, in the past, I have found bereavement fares to only be ever so slightly cheaper than the current fares. Would like to hear what comes of it. Sorry for your loss.
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:09 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
mixed metal=no bereavement fare, and no cost adjustment after the fact
has to be all CO metal
I found this out the hard way when I booked a mixed UA/CO flight for a funeral

FYI there is no booking fee to call reservations when you are booking a bereavement fare
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
mixed metal=no bereavement fare, and no cost adjustment after the fact
has to be all CO metal
I found this out the hard way when I booked a mixed UA/CO flight for a funeral

FYI there is no booking fee to call reservations when you are booking a bereavement fare
it was co metal and I'm plat I just really didn't have time to call.
I am working on getting a death certificate and translation. Per CO's website it says up to 20% off. I am not sure if it refunds the credit card or is a flight credit as I don't have a way to call at the moment.
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:34 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Per your original post... "connections were on a different airline"...did you book those separately?

If yes and you booked an all CO metal ticket you are entitled to a refund from CO, just contact them with the documentation when convenient.
Old Feb 21, 12, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donnyb View Post
Per your original post... "connections were on a different airline"...did you book those separately?

If yes and you booked an all CO metal ticket you are entitled to a refund from CO, just contact them with the documentation when convenient.
Sorry if my grammar was unclear. Not my intent, I am typing on a "rented" connection way to quickly. my other flights were not connected to the CO booking at all (which is good the said because as noted above they cannot give a discount/rebate on partner metal). I actually was just able to use a friends skype phone and spoke with the elite line. THey will give me a refund back to the purchase card, I just have to send in the death cert and some other notations. They will also waive 200 of the 250 change fee on the return flights (which is nice as i need to change them since I didn't know when exactly to bring everyone back).

Thanks for all the help.I appreciate it.
Old Feb 21, 12, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
When my aunt passed away last year, all I needed was to fax in the death certificate and copy of obituary.

CO agents very pleasant and helpful.

Once all the documentation was received, they credited my credit card back the proper amount - there is a sliding scale of discounts available; generally the higher the fare the larger the discount.
Old Feb 21, 12, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
When my aunt passed away last year, all I needed was to fax in the death certificate and copy of obituary.

CO agents very pleasant and helpful.

Once all the documentation was received, they credited my credit card back the proper amount - there is a sliding scale of discounts available; generally the higher the fare the larger the discount.
Last year I had to take a quick trip to be with my father, who was undergoing emergency surgery. Needless to say, I paid through the nose. When my father passed away while I was there, I had to change my return flight. United didn't assess a change fee, gave me a partial refund, and only required the name of the funeral home and his physician as verification. Very easy to deal with, and very kind.
Old Feb 22, 12, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AM Gold
Thumbs up

This happened a few years ago. I had just finished a transatlantic flight and went to the lounge at EWR to wait for my next flight when I received a message. My father had passed away that same night.

I immediately asked the agents at the lounge how they could help me, and they booked me in business free of charge on the next flight home, made sure my baggage also made the trip and offered me free international phone calls and an empty meeting room to calm myself in some privacy.

A few weeks later I had even received a full refund for my entire original flight.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I was very impressed at how CO handled the situation.

Search this Thread