Futile trip because of delay over 5 hours. Refund?

 
Old Feb 20, 12, 9:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
Futile trip because of delay over 5 hours. Refund?

I had booked a ticket with CO on LH metal from Germany to US for an event in NY. My arrival was delayed over 5 hours making my trip futile. Does CO offer any refunds as result of this according tot he EU regulations.
As per my understanding In case of a delay of more than 5 hours you are entitled to a refund of your ticket within seven days for the parts not used or for those parts already used if your flight no longer serves its purpose, and when relevant, a return flight to your first point of departure.

I have contacted CO, the response was that refund is not due as the ticket is used. Any suggestions?
nycboy is offline  
Old Feb 20, 12, 9:41 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 5,797
If you were departing the EU on any carrier, or arriving in the EU on a carrier licensed in the EU, you would be entitled to a refund for a delay over 5 hours. Unfortunately, CO is not legally required to refund your money, but LH might be. The code share certainly confuses things.
Stripe is offline  
Old Feb 20, 12, 9:42 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
The words that usually work are due to the excessive delay it is a trip in vain.
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 20, 12, 9:54 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
When I contacted LH they said that since CO issued the ticket CO has the "money". Why is CO not legally obliged to follow EU laws when selling tickets in markets where these laws apply?
nycboy is offline  
Old Feb 20, 12, 10:58 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 10,999
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
When I contacted LH they said that since CO issued the ticket CO has the "money".
Huh, I'm surprised it hasn't gone to LH via the BSP since you've already traveled.
mduell is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 10:59 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,243
Can I clarify something - you took the (delayed) outbound flight. Did you take the return leg of the trip as originally booked also? Or was it just a one-way ticket?

The fact that you actually took the trip will really work against you if you're looking for a refund.
star_world is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 12:35 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
My trip involved travelling to Europe to prepare for the event.

The delay occurred on the return portion of my ticket. The delay was due to a mechanical issue and not due "extraordinary circumstances".
nycboy is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:31 pm
  #8  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,304
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
I had booked a ticket with CO on LH metal from Germany to US for an event in NY. My arrival was delayed over 5 hours making my trip futile. ...

I have contacted CO, the response was that refund is not due as the ticket is used. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
My trip involved travelling to Europe to prepare for the event.

The delay occurred on the return portion of my ticket. The delay was due to a mechanical issue and not due "extraordinary circumstances".
So, it would appear you are based in NYC? If that is correct, while you were unable to attend the event in NYC, the trip home was not "futile" since you were, presumably, going to return to your base.

As I understand it, the "futile trip" exception occurs when the delay is in the outbound portion of your trip, thereby making no sense to travel outbound, and then come back inbound.

Your trip was delayed coming back inbound (i.e., as you say the return portion of your trip). While you would have liked to have gotten back in time for some NYC event, you were presumably coming back to your base anyway.

Sounds like you were cutting it awfully tight to go to Europe just before the important NYC event, and then book a flight which would get you back just barely in time for the important NYC event. Delays do happen, and it appears you did not plan for that in your travels.

(Reminds me of the time I flew out the night before for a deposition on the other coast. Opposing counsel thought he could fly out that morning and get there 30 minutes before the scheduled deposition, which they had scheduled. Only there was a delay. Plaintiff's counsel called from in the air on the plane. The witness, subpoenaed by opposing counsel, and his attorney, refused to wait or reschedule the deposition to 6 hours later, that evening. Deposition did not happen because of Plaintiff's counsel's poor planning.)

The EU regulation talks about abandoning further flights, and being entitled to a return to your original destination. In this case, it appears NYC was your original destination. Correct?

I see this one as partially their fault, and partially your fault. I would think they would throw some voucher $ at you for the delay. But not sure they are required to give you compensation. I'd write a letter.
Djlawman is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:48 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
According to the regulations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

If a flight is delayed by five hours, passengers are additionally entitled to abandon their journey and receive a refund for all unused tickets, a refund on tickets used already if the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to their original travel plan, and, if relevant, a flight back to their original point of departure at the earliest opportunity.
nycboy is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 1:59 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,243
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
According to the regulations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

If a flight is delayed by five hours, passengers are additionally entitled to abandon their journey and receive a refund for all unused tickets, a refund on tickets used already if the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to their original travel plan, and, if relevant, a flight back to their original point of departure at the earliest opportunity.
But you didn't abandon your journey - you continued on it, and completed it. You are on the wrong track thinking that this is a "trip in vain" or anything similar. As far as any airline is concerned you were delayed 5 hours on your return leg - that's it. The trip in vain provisions are intended for people who need to abandon their whole trip and be returned to their origin because the trip is no longer worthwhile.

You may have a case under the EU law just because of the delay itself - that's the direction I would be focusing on if I was in your position.
star_world is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:04 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,774
I don't see how a delayed return flight can be construed as a trip in vain.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 12, 2:17 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
You may have a case under the EU law just because of the delay itself - that's the direction I would be focusing on if I was in your position.
Thank you for your input. I will peruse the other option of compensation due to delay. As per http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm that may be up to 600 Euro.
nycboy is offline  
Old Mar 5, 12, 6:45 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: CO Plat
Posts: 102
Got it.

Just an update. The airline wrote me back along with 600 EUR which was half of the ticket price.

Thank you for your input.
nycboy is offline  
Old Mar 5, 12, 8:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Moreland Hills (CLE)
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 5,503
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
Just an update. The airline wrote me back along with 600 EUR which was half of the ticket price.

Thank you for your input.
Great news!!
Billiken is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread