Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any way Continental would agree to waive the $150 award cancellation fee?

Old Feb 18, 12, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

My ORD>YYZ departure time was changed by 5 minutes, I tried to use this as a reason to cancel (after being on hold for over an hour) and was told by a rep and a manager it must be at least a 4 hour change to have the fee waived.

I want to switch my flight to AA which has reward availability at the same time for two reasons:

1 - I have BA points which allows me to redeem on AA for only 4500 points per leg rather than the 10k on CO. BA did not yet have their new reward chart when I booked and AA did not have this particular flight available at the time.

2 - My Amex Platinum used to give me lounge access on CO which I just realized is no longer the case. AA lounge access is still covered under the platinum. 4 of us are stuck in ORD for a 3 hour layover and lounge access would make a big difference - but not if it cost $600 to change.

Would appreciate any help.
Old Feb 18, 12, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Yeah good luck with that.
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
I've had it waived, but it took a fair bit of work and I had a good excuse.
Old Feb 18, 12, 10:37 pm

5 minutes huh? That's rough.
Old Feb 18, 12, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, COdbaUA 1K, Hyatt Plt, Hilton GLD, SPG Plat50, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC, NEXUS/GE
Where are you connecting from that you have a 3 hour layover at ORD prior to a one-way trip? Would you not have lounge access from that airline?
Old Feb 18, 12, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
Where are you connecting from that you have a 3 hour layover at ORD prior to a one-way trip? Would you not have lounge access from that airline?
Inbound on Alaska from ANC. Completely separate reservation. I'm MVP on AS, but that doesn't help me much.
Old Feb 18, 12, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Good luck on getting the miles redeposited too...I redeposited an award back on Jan. 30, and I have still not seen the miles post back. That's almost three weeks! I needed to use the miles too...and have not been able to because CO is holding them back for an unusually long amount of time.
Old Feb 19, 12, 12:30 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Looks like you are traveling on CO!

Seems like your case is pretty thin bud!

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Feb 19, 12 at 12:31 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 19, 12, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Youponder View Post
My ORD>YYZ departure time was changed by 5 minutes, I tried to use this as a reason to cancel (after being on hold for over an hour) and was told by a rep and a manager it must be at least a 4 hour change to have the fee waived.

I want to switch my flight to AA which has reward availability at the same time for two reasons:

1 - I have BA points which allows me to redeem on AA for only 4500 points per leg rather than the 10k on CO. BA did not yet have their new reward chart when I booked and AA did not have this particular flight available at the time.

2 - My Amex Platinum used to give me lounge access on CO which I just realized is no longer the case. AA lounge access is still covered under the platinum. 4 of us are stuck in ORD for a 3 hour layover and lounge access would make a big difference - but not if it cost $600 to change.

try calling again, maybe you get a better agent....good luck
Old Feb 19, 12, 8:05 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Youponder View Post

What you can do is cancel the UACO reservation, but don't redeposit the miles. You will have up to 1 year from the time of original booking to apply the miles to the same itinerary on a later date. This will allow you to take advantage of the AA/BA award redemption (promotion??) while saving the miles for use later. This is, of course, assuming you will be flying the same itinerary within a year. Otherwise, it's pretty difficult to get the redeposit fee waived. Unless you get lucky with a weather-related travel waiver.

LAX
Old Feb 19, 12, 9:46 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
What do u mean better agent? The first agent was very good. Five minute sched change does not allow u to cancel d ticket without penalties
Old Feb 19, 12, 9:55 am

Even the Pope couldn't get a waiver on this one!
Old Feb 19, 12, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I tried to get a waiver, because I had 4 one -way awards that had to be booked that way due to lack of availability.

After 3 calls, being put on hold each time to speak with a supervisor, I was told there are no waivers being given. Period.

The only way around it is to claim an illness and submit proof, and that may not work either.
Old Feb 19, 12, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
LOL, you must be kidding, there is no way the Al Caponeibators at CO will do anything pro-passenger or pro-customer. But they might give you a $100 off coupon, that would be good on a fare code $225 more expensive than a regular ticket and then make you book with an agent for an additional $50, making the coupon worth a minus -$175.

You might try looking at flight aware and if the flight is chronically late, you might make the case CO never had any intention of getting you there as scheduled??

Last edited by chasbondy; Feb 19, 12 at 10:37 am Reason: pour spellign and two bee nicer
Old Feb 19, 12, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
It has happened once in the hisorty of CO. The first agent said "No". She was fired. The second phone agent immediately assisted passenger SMI/J with his problem

Search this Thread