Due to Normal Aircraft Movement . . .

Old Feb 18, 12, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Due to Normal Aircraft Movement . . .

"Due to Normal Aircraft Movement Programming is Temporarily Unavailable."

So I've been told by my DirecTV monitor on my 738 for the last five minutes.

We've been sitting stationary at the gate.
Old Feb 18, 12, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Don't get me started on CO's AVOD system. It sucks.

The fact that there is no map feature renders the entire system dumb.

-RM
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
CO has managed to install the two least reliable IFE systems (DTV on some narrowbodies and AVOD on some widebodies) that I've ever used on any carrier.

Between outages due to normal aircraft movement, misaligned touchscreens, and rebooting, and rebooting, and rebooting they'd provide more entertainment with overhead monitors and betamax.
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Don't get me started on CO's AVOD system. It sucks.

The fact that there is no map feature renders the entire system dumb.

-RM
There's no AVOD either

If you're at the gate, and there's no signal it's most likely due to the airport buildings - I've seen that happen pretty often.
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:56 am

I'll take a DirecTV monitor any day to a drop down mini-tv on a 319 or 320 with the same movies and sitcom's being run over & over on every UA flight. A 6 hour flight from BWI to LAX on one of these aircraft, even in first, is just plain plane torture with this continual, redundant entertainment being flashed in your face! I'll take a DirecTV or water boarding any time over this sloooooow torture.
Old Feb 18, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
"Due to Normal Aircraft Movement Programming is Temporarily Unavailable."

So I've been told by my DirecTV monitor on my 738 for the last five minutes.

We've been sitting stationary at the gate.
I think that is the standard line used, but signal can also be unavailable due to weather (just like a satellite dish at home).

There has been a lot of rain in Texas in the last several hours.
Old Feb 18, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
There's no AVOD either

If you're at the gate, and there's no signal it's most likely due to the airport buildings - I've seen that happen pretty often.
I call all of those systems on planes that provide entertainment in the seatback AVOD. I know, it's not technically accurate but it's a cover-all

-RM
Old Feb 18, 12, 1:12 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Being satellite based, the reciever needs to have a clear shot of the satellite to recieve a signal.

There could be any number of reasons your plane does not have a clear shot. It could be weather, or it could be the terminal, it could be anything. Also, I would believe the system is designed to work best in the air, versus the ground.

Honestly, for those wining about DirecTV, its miles above what you get on most if not all United domestic flights. Fly a Transcon, connect in ORD, and you get the exact same programming.

I happily pay.for DirecTV on Continental each time I fly. Ive never had any issues with it. Yes, when the aircraft is turning, or climbing/decending, but ill take a short outage over a TV in the Aisle, and repetitious programming any day.
Old Feb 18, 12, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver Kettle, IHG Platinum & slop status in all others
Question Betamax

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
...they'd provide more entertainment with overhead monitors and betamax.
What is a betamax?
Old Feb 18, 12, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rush2112SFO View Post
What is a betamax?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
Old Feb 18, 12, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer IAH View Post
I think that is the standard line used, but signal can also be unavailable due to weather (just like a satellite dish at home).

There has been a lot of rain in Texas in the last several hours.
Indeed, we were delayed two hours due to weather and a ground stop at IAH.

That said, everyone else's screen that I could see was working fine while I got the "moving aircraft" message.

Not a big deal; it gave me a chuckle.
Old Feb 18, 12, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Actually, the issues with DTV and AVOD are quite different.

Of the two, I would say the more unreliable, technologically, is AVOD, just because the system is playing back a tremendous amount of content simultaneously and when something goes wrong, there isn't any qualified person on the crew to fix the issue. the best you get is the f/a rebooting the system.

Satellite TV, on the other hand, is actually pretty rock solid. Of course, when the receiver doesn't see a signal, you don't have a picture, but that's virtually never the case except for take off and landing.

One issue both systems share is the fact that people bash their fingers on the fragile touch screens which must be maintained with frightening regularity.
Old Feb 18, 12, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
That said, everyone else's screen that I could see was working fine while I got the "moving aircraft" message.
Some of the movie and entertainment channels do not require receiving a signal from a satellite.

Personally I really like having the option of watching DirecTV. I don't watch too much TV otherwise, and it seems to make the time pass quicker. That said - I have never purchased it when sitting in Y.

SunLover
Old Feb 18, 12, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
One issue both systems share is the fact that people bash their fingers on the fragile touch screens which must be maintained with frightening regularity.
Actually the DTV doesn't use a touch screen unless if they changed it on the newer CO planes.

I've been on CO planes that have the AVOD and find the touch screen slightly annoying (rather have a remote).
Old Feb 19, 12, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
Actually the DTV doesn't use a touch screen unless if they changed it on the newer CO planes.

I've been on CO planes that have the AVOD and find the touch screen slightly annoying (rather have a remote).
You are right, but what does happen with frightening regularity on the DTV system, is that people are too rough on the arm rest controller...but this less of an issue than the AVOD screens being damaged.

Search this Thread