Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pay w/ miles to upgrade or wait for automatic upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:31 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from DEL to EWR on CO83. I am a silver elite from last year (expires in March) and I'm almost there this year as well. I have an M fare ticket. As this is such a long flight, I really want to upgrade to business - I could upgrade with miles, but Continental will charge a co-pay of $350. Should I just pay up with miles to get upgraded or wait and see if they will automatically upgrade me? What do you think my chances are of scoring an upgrade? There are 8 empty business seats right now.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
There is no auto upgrade for long-distance intl flights.
You should just do it with miles + copay, unless you have access to SWU from co-worker or friend.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Getting an upgrade to BF on Continental for free for anybody is extremely rare, much less for Silver.
UA has been known to provide once in a blue moon (or less) a complimentary upgrade to Business for their higher elites.
On a route like DEL-EWR I would most definitely not expect that.
You want to fly up front, you will have to somehow pay more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.