CO 777 from LHR or FRA from DELAYS perspective?

Old Feb 16, 12, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
CO 777 from LHR or FRA from DELAYS perspective?

I'm scheduling a trip out to europe soon and have to come back to EWR to catch the HKG flight at 3:25 pm...question is: should I choose the LHR-EWR flight that gets in at 1:25 pm or the FRA-EWR flight that lands at 1:51 pm?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of transfer? I can check my bag to HKG and don't have to go through customs, right? since I'm continuing to HKG ... also - which airport is more "on time" with departures? I don't want to miss my HKG flight!
Old Feb 16, 12, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by indiansfan07 View Post
I'm scheduling a trip out to europe soon and have to come back to EWR to catch the HKG flight at 3:25 pm...question is: should I choose the LHR-EWR flight that gets in at 1:25 pm or the FRA-EWR flight that lands at 1:51 pm?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of transfer? I can check my bag to HKG and don't have to go through customs, right? since I'm continuing to HKG ... also - which airport is more "on time" with departures? I don't want to miss my HKG flight!
All other things being equal, go through LHR as it gets you in earlier. However, you pay tons more tax departing from there.

You must clear immigration and customs in the US and re-clear security. 1.5 hours for immigration+customs+international boarding is really cutting it close. So is 2 hours, for that matter. If you absolutely need to be in HKG -- and given you are on a different ticket it seems, so will be out of luck if you misconnect -- give yourself more leeway.

That being said, go to flightstats.com and search for those flights. You can do it by flight number. It's not perfect, but it gives you statistics on the on-time-ness of the arrivals of particular flights you are looking for. Particularly the stats on "worst case" delay. I am too lazy to do that for you.
Old Feb 16, 12, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

I have global entry...so hopefully that would help a bit with the immigration wait time. I'm in Europe for business so I'd like to maximize my time there, e.g. leaving in the morning and getting to EWR a few hours before my HKG flight. Otherwise I may try to come back the night before. Good advice though thanks.
Old Feb 17, 12, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
There's an earlier flight ex-LHR that you could take, but it's not operated by a 777. Is that important?
Old Feb 17, 12, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Once a upon a time, CO mostly used the 772 coming back from London to turn it for CO99 to HKG - and the latter flight was often delayed due to late arrival of the London flight. But checking recent equipment, that is no longer the case.
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:36 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
There should be earlier flights on the 757 if you're worried about the connection time.

With that said, immigration should be a minimal issue with GE. I would expect you to be able to make the connection through LHR, though I personally would not book the FRA one; an extra half hour can make a lot of difference, and when crossing the Pond westbound -- and fighting the headwinds -- I'd feel better building some float into the schedule.
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
There's an earlier flight ex-LHR that you could take, but it's not operated by a 777. Is that important?
It's sort of important because of all the issues around stopping for fuel en route - I don't want to risk that...if you're referring to the 767's that might be a possibility. I'd prefer to stick to a 777 b/c of the better BF experience, but the most important thing is making my HKG connection in EWR!

Back to original question - is there any legitimate concern about being delayed out of LHR due to traffic? is FRA just as bad? or are these airports pretty good about getting flights out on time (assuming normal weather)...?
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:41 am
Suspended

It's sort of important because of all the issues around stopping for fuel en route - I don't want to risk that...if you're referring to the 767's that might be a possibility. I'd prefer to stick to a 777 b/c of the better BF experience, but the most important thing is making my HKG connection in EWR!

Back to original question - is there any legitimate concern about being delayed out of LHR due to traffic? is FRA just as bad? or are these airports pretty good about getting flights out on time (assuming normal weather)...?
Both airports are roughly comparable in terms of delays, with FRA maybe having a slight edge. Fuel stops on the LHR-EWR route are a non-issue (interesting that the few people screaming about these stops have had such a dramatic effect on rational purchasing decisions though), and the service is arguably better on the 752 due to the smaller cabin.
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Both airports are roughly comparable in terms of delays, with FRA maybe having a slight edge. Fuel stops on the LHR-EWR route are a non-issue (interesting that the few people screaming about these stops have had such a dramatic effect on rational purchasing decisions though), and the service is arguably better on the 752 due to the smaller cabin.
BTW the "few people screaming" apparently includes the US Government, as (posted here on FT) they've given a waiver to having to "buy American" on the 757s to/from IAD.
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage

FYI, all the other flight LHR-EWR are on 757's.

There is no issue with fuel diversions on this route as it is well within the 757-200's operational range.
Old Feb 17, 12, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
BTW the "few people screaming" apparently includes the US Government, as (posted here on FT) they've given a waiver to having to "buy American" on the 757s to/from IAD.
Allegedly, yes. Nothing to do with LHR-EWR though, which shows how nonsense like this can turn people away from rational purchasing decisions.
Old Feb 17, 12, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Allegedly, yes. Nothing to do with LHR-EWR though, which shows how nonsense like this can turn people away from rational purchasing decisions.
That is true, but that's the unintended halo effect of using a/c on route lengths they weren't designed for, or are out of sync with the marketplace (kind of like how TODs are having their own halo effect lately )
Old Feb 17, 12, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
That is true, but that's the unintended halo effect of using a/c on route lengths they weren't designed for, or are out of sync with the marketplace (kind of like how TODs are having their own halo effect lately )
Sure - I'll stick to pointing out the facts and avoid getting enveloped in the halos though
Old Feb 17, 12, 11:27 am

Programs: CO Plat
OP Where are you coming from? FRA has a better connectivity then LHR if you have to change terminals.
Old Feb 17, 12, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
OP Where are you coming from? FRA has a better connectivity then LHR if you have to change terminals.
My routing originates from LUX. So either LUX - LHR - EWR or LUX - FRA - EWR. Most likely have to change terminals, but I think I have >2 hrs to do so.

Search this Thread