Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade madness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Gold, *G
Upgrade madness

To add to the madness and anger regarding the present EUA system, my son got upgraded this morning.

He's 4.
And non-elite.
And on a frequent flyer (coach) ticket.
And on the 8:30am IAH-EWR tomorrow (Friday) morning.
And in front of his mother (CO Gold, rev ticket).

She called to get him downgraded.

What fun!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
If your son was on an award ticket booked in X inventory, you used your miles with plat status and have the PPlus CC then he could have fallen through the cracks regarding award upgrades.

It has been documented on this site that some companions using miles with an elite that has the CC were upgraded. They technically inherit the mileage account user status level.

I wouldn't call this anger or the madness, but more frustration regardin the CC upgrade award benefit. Now about your wife downgrading you son...If she is on a separate PNR, she runs the risk of being upgraded as well so she will have to call back again.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
If your son was on an award ticket booked in X inventory, you used your miles with plat status and have the PPlus CC then he could have fallen through the cracks regarding award upgrades.

It has been documented on this site that some companions using miles with an elite that has the CC were upgraded. They technically inherit the mileage account user status level.

I wouldn't call this anger or the madness, but more frustration regardin the CC upgrade award benefit. Now about your wife downgrading you son...If she is on a separate PNR, she runs the risk of being upgraded as well so she will have to call back again.
This, except that I thought that reward tickets still were under revenue tickets in the hierarchy even in a <24 hour situation.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by wcalvert
This, except that I thought that reward tickets still were under revenue tickets in the hierarchy even in a <24 hour situation.
no, reward travel is at the lowest end of each status. Plat on a reward ticket trumps gold on an H. Go figure. It's funny, because CO's website explicitly says, "*This benefit is for Elite members holding a OnePass Plus, Presidential Plus, World Card for Business, Presidential Plus for Business, MileagePlus Explorer, or MileagePlus Explorer for Business card only and not their companion traveling on a reward ticket. Eligible companions of the Elite member traveling on the same itinerary on a revenue ticket will be eligible for complimentary upgrades. Reward upgrades not eligible on Copa or Copa Columbia airlines operated flights."
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Gold, *G
The fare class was YN (Easypass) and we do have a PPlus card, which was probably used for the taxes and fees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think PPlus cardholders got EUA benefits and, even if they do, Sciflyer, Jr. is not the cardholder.

But, to bump him at T-24, they had to assume he had the status of his mother (gold - her miles bought the ticket) and then classify YN as a very high fare class. At the time of the upgrade, F was booked to 17/20 and there were already four people on the upgrade list. Now it's 19/20 with 10+ on this list. Again, it's a Friday morning hub-to-hub. Serious glitch here.

BTW, I meant to post this in the United consolidated forum. If a moderator wants to move it to further fan the flames of Elite upgrade discontent over there, be my guest.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
My daughter has gotten more upgrades than me this year as GM using my award miles!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Talk about http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ighlight=young

Wouldn't that be something to see him walk the carpet past all the elites.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 2K/2MM
Interesting to hear this. My daughter was upgraded a few weeks ago (PBI/IAH) on a Onepass saver tkt. I did not think this ever happened - and am now wondering if it had something to do with my PPlus credit card I got. Maybe I will keep this thing after the one year free period ends....Are there any other benefits to this card that if I had really checked would have been obvious?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Yup - Due to the CC your daughter got your CO staus on the award ticket because the miles came from your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.