Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Reward: Can changing one segment jeopardize entire itinerary?

Old Feb 16, 12, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS

I booked ORD-YUL-ZRH-BKK-HAN a few months ago.

Today I saw F availability on ORD-ZRH open up on LX. I called to change the ticket to drop only the ORD-YUL segment and replace with ORD-ZRH. I don't mind paying the $75 fee.

The agent informed that if I dropped the ORD-YUL segment she would have to reissue the entire ticket and I would lose the ZRH-BKK leg that I have ticketed in F. There is no more availability in F on the day that I am flying and she could not guarantee that I would be able to retain my F seat.

I'm confused by this as I have changed this ticket once before and didn't have to have the ticket completely re-issued.

Is this just a bad agent?
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That used to be the way they did it so perhaps the agent hasn't done it the new way yet. I've definitely added and dropped segments without reissuing the whole ticket. I'd call back and try again.
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
That used to be the way they did it so perhaps the agent hasn't done it the new way yet. I've definitely added and dropped segments without reissuing the whole ticket. I'd call back and try again.
Thanks, that's what I had thought as well. I've changed segments on this ticket before without any problems. I guess i'll be playing phone roulette this afternoon.
Old Feb 16, 12, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
My wife & I had an agent that said that same thing on a recent award trip.

I couldn't believe it (my wife told me) so I told her to call back and talk to a different agent...so she did, and the agent didn't mention it at all.

Granted, this is me coming from the UA-side of things where there has never been an issue on changing flights or booking them. I've had quite a few issues on only a few award tickets on CO in the past few months...but luckily, this wasn't one of them - after we called another agent.

Our itinerary was 'somewhat' complicated, but that doesn't allow for a system that can't handle these simple requests. We had a SA flight connecting to a VS flight connecting to a UA flight on a one-way award and wanted to swap out the VS with a SA segment...this is where the agent said that 'it might cancel the whole thing out'.

It sounds like CO has upgraded their systems (from the previous poster), but ours worked out okay, but believe me - I was checking the PNR the entire time the agent was working on the ticket and for about 24 hours afterwards to ensure the transaction went accordingly.

-jeremy
Old Feb 16, 12, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kmfdm91 View Post
It sounds like CO has upgraded their systems (from the previous poster), but ours worked out okay, but believe me - I was checking the PNR the entire time the agent was working on the ticket and for about 24 hours afterwards to ensure the transaction went accordingly.
CO does have a habit of dropping segments from time to time (and it can happen well after ticketing).

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your itins.
Old Feb 17, 12, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa View Post
CO does have a habit of dropping segments from time to time (and it can happen well after ticketing).

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your itins.
Funny you should mention this.

Have 2 one-way rewards.

The final leg on the outbound "disappeared" a few days before departure, so I had to call to get it put back on. (TG BKK-HKT)

The return is next week and I just checked the reservation on-line, and lo and behold, the first leg is not there! (TG BKK-NRT).

Called CO and they put it back on (fortunately seats were still available)

Is this a CO issue or a TG issue? Anything I can do to prevent it, or do I just need to check my reservation every 8 hours?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Everything ended up working out. Second agent didn't mention having to re-issue the entire ticket. Flying out tonight!
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
Funny you should mention this.

Have 2 one-way rewards.

The final leg on the outbound "disappeared" a few days before departure, so I had to call to get it put back on. (TG BKK-HKT)

The return is next week and I just checked the reservation on-line, and lo and behold, the first leg is not there! (TG BKK-NRT).

Called CO and they put it back on (fortunately seats were still available)

Is this a CO issue or a TG issue? Anything I can do to prevent it, or do I just need to check my reservation every 8 hours?

Thanks.

Definitely a CO issue. Their interconnection with partners is flaky at times.

Search this Thread